Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Asheville Eats.

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by nc41, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,483) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Looking at some nice places to have dinner. Lobster Trap worth the money? Looking for more than pizza and wings here. Long weekend with the wifey. Suggestions?

2. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Defender (669) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Salsas
    Tupelo honey
    Fig

3. kingkong

kingkong Initiate (101) Feb 19, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bouchon
    Posana
    Corner Kitchen
    Chestnut
    Over Easy Cafe (breakfast)

4. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Defender (669) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I second the over Easy. That's usually my first suggestion but I thought you were just looking for dinner spots. Over Easy is awesome. Expect a wait. Get a Bloody Mary at Stradas across the street while you wait. They have a nice little bar to dress your own drink.

5. nc41

Beer Trader

Bouchon is on my list for sure. My wife loves Mexican so Salsas works, leaves one night to find a place. Lobster Trap isn't on anyone s list over priced? Suck?

6. jeg518

jeg518 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Homegrown for breakfast was amazing.

7. defaultroute

defaultroute Initiate (168) Aug 14, 2005 North Carolina

Seven Sowes and Curate

8. MCDub

MCDub Aspirant (289) Dec 17, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Salsa's
    Rezaz
    The Admiral

I would pass on the Lobster Trap. At least 2 dozen places in Asheville I would rather eat.

9. nc41

Beer Trader

The Admiral I would assume to be a seafood place?

10. nopropulsion

nopropulsion Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Florida

Whenever I go to Asheville I have to go to 12 Bones for lunch. It is so good and so reasonably priced.

I'm also going to second Corner Kitchen. It is extremely quaint and delicious. I've been there for dinner and breakfast, dinner was delicious, but at breakfast their biscuits and gravy are some of the best I've ever had.

11. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (350) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I thoroughly enjoyed the Lobster Trap. A bit pricey, but not obscene. Great food, service, and the Oysterhouse beers were good. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Salsas isn't my thing but we went anyway on Sunday AM, it gets packed within 20mins. Eating with my elbows in because there's no room kinda sucked. It wasn't bad, but I prefer a place that's not packed in like sardines.

unionturf likes this.
  12. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Just end up at French Broad Chocolate for hot chocolate after. That's all that matters. Usually an early (and frequent) stop on my trips there.

13. nc41

Beer Trader

Lol, my wife would love that.

14. abb610

abb610 Disciple (322) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The Admiral
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Every time I eat there, I have a great experience. Beautiful plates, great prices for what you get, all in a non-stuffy, rustic, eclectic atmosphere.

15. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Aspirant (273) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

Salsas (Veghead or The Asheville burritos on lunch menu amazing). Does get packed.
    Blackbird - used to be in Black Mtn - good dinner spot.

Thanks to all for the other suggestions (and OP for asking). I get there every few months.

IMO, Lobster Trap not worth it. Thought the lobster was pretty tasteless and the service getting us a table was brutal. But if your wife really wants lobster, go for it.

16. Lasering

Lasering Disciple (301) Mar 19, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Don't mean to thread jack here but my wife just decided we are going to asheville for thanksgiving weekend. What are some of the best breweries to hit up while there? Was searching on the internets and there are a lot of them.

17. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (734) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wicked Weed, Green Man. Stay nearby for the best result- walking distance.

Lasering likes this.
  18. rgordon

Curate is excellent.

19. RDMII

All of them. Everything is close enough, even the ones you make a drive to, to tour them all in a weekend. I did it last year with plenty of down time in between.

Lasering likes this.
  20. RDMII

Shame, our meal was outstanding, and we sat at the bar area so no wait. Easily the best seafood I've ever had.

21. nc41

Beer Trader

Off to Asheville tomorrow thanks for the tips on eats, I damn know well to find the beer.

22. Lasering

Beer Trader

My wife likes to hit up weird road side attractions like coral castle and spook hill (look them up). Is there anything on the drive from Florida up?

23. tlh1005

tlh1005 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I second Bouchon and Tupelo Honey. French Broad Chocolate Shop for after dinner treats.
    We also liked Mayfel's for breakfast.
    Call me crazy but I didn't LOVE the food at Wicked Weed, but then again, who cares about the food, everything else about that place is excellent.

Lasering likes this.
  24. craigo19

craigo19 Disciple (331) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Sounds like a stop for my wife when we go to Asheville next week. Thanks for the tip.

25. baconmcnuggets

baconmcnuggets Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Oh God. Okay, the default drive from Tampa to Asheville takes you up through Savannah area, BUT. For 45 minutes more you can take the route up through Atlanta. I know Atlanta driving sucks, but you are rewarded with Cleveland, Georgia, home of the Cabbage Patch Hospital & Birthing Center. DUDE. This is a must-see for people who love weird shit. It may be the single greatest experience of my adult life. And you MUST not miss the birthing ceremony. Seriously. I've never been so completely hysterical and yet simultaneously creeped out in my life.

(Full disclosure, I didn't look up either thing you mentioned first, so our ideas of weird roadside attractions may not match up. But I have pretty much told everyone I've ever met that before they die they should probably try to get to Cleveland Georgia. It's magnificent in the most horrible way.)

26. Lasering

Beer Trader

Sounds awesomly weird! Thanks!

27. GehenHerzog

GehenHerzog Disciple (350) Jan 24, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Was there a couple weeks ago. Very much enjoyed Chestnut, Early Girl and Sunny Point (last 2 for breakfast). Will always recommend Curate

Farm Burger is a solid spot for lunch as well.

28. tlh1005

tlh1005 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If you're wife likes chocolate you'll get some bonus points. They have some thing they call a liquid truffle, which is basically like drinking melted chocolate flavored with different things chose from the menu. I am craving one right now and I am not some candy/chocolate junky.

If you are going to be there during the week as opposed to all weekend days/nights I would go on the weeknight. We arrived on a Thursday and chose that night to go after dinner. It was a busy place but not crazy. The other nights and morning we walked by on the weekend there was a ridiculous line way out of the door onto the sidewalk. I am very glad we went on Thursday. There were a lot of people in town because we happened to pick the one weekend that Widespread Panic was playing a two night stop, I don't know if that accounts for the abundance of people around or not.

29. unionturf

unionturf Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 North Carolina

Ditto.

We really enjoyed our meal, and we had the Oyster House IPA and it was really really good...that was 2 years ago, not sure if it has changed but I was really wanting to take a growler home but they were out of growlers. :slight_frown:

30. nc41

Beer Trader

I'm sure who even designed Ashevills road system downtown was quite insane. No GPS and you have no shot to find anything or go anywhere.

31. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Disciple (307) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Zambra.

SO freaking good.

Mantooth likes this.
  32. rgordon

You have to find your way around like way back in the 1900s. Don't drive but do ask. It's that kind of place. Look for O. Henry's plaque in the sidewalk near The Lobster Pot. He stumbled through there and survived for a while! Sounds like you're having a memorable trip. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.