Asheville Rare and Wild

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Beeranator, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Beeranator

Beeranator Feb 8, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

http://allaboutbeer.com/AAB2/
    Has anyone gone to this in previous years?

Is the $75 a ticket price worth it?

Anyone know of all the breweries that are coming to it and what they're bringing?

2. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

$75 is steep, $10 more than Brewvival so I'll definitely have to see a full list before I'd buy a ticket.

Beeranator likes this.
  3. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Pretty sure this is the first year for this. No way I'm dropping $75 per without a list. AVL Beer Week must be short on funds. They announced tickets would go on sale in April and then a few days later, put them on sale without any sort of list. Beer week was really fun last year, I hope it's still fun now that they are charging stores/restaurants/breweries to get involved.

4. Beerness

Beerness Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

These "rare" beer fest ticket prices are getting out of hand. Someone needs to clue these organizers in...for reference....

Great Taste of the Midwest = $50
    Festival of Wood and Barrel-aged Beers = $40

Now go check out the lineups at those festival and realize how badly you're overcharging people.

TNGabe likes this.
  5. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

I see it's a benefit for Pints to Protates (or at least I see that they're involved). In my experience, all of their events tend to expensive and/or overpriced. I attended an event put on by them last year in Portland, and was not happy with how that played out. As I promised the organizer last year, here's the thread from that event. IMHO, transparency is not exactly something these folks are best known for.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...le-invitational-on-july-25.26225/#post-393367

6. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

yeah, I've been hearing lots of complaints about PfP from various bars/breweries/distributors over the past few months as well.

7. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

After my experience last year, I would avoid any event they're involved with like the plague.

8. ncaudle

ncaudle May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Raleigh R&V in january was great, from a consumers side...

9. Lyke2Drink

Lyke2Drink Nov 2, 2009 North Carolina

John:

I know you have issues with our organization, but I'm not sure why you continue to have an axe to grind. Last year we offered you a refund. You did not accept the offer and continue to spread misinformation. Sorry, but sometimes you cannot please some people no matter how you try.

Rick

10. Lyke2Drink

What complaints? Do tell. We have great relationships with brewers, festivals and bars. Please do not spread false rumors.

11. Lyke2Drink

Asheville Rare& Wild Beer Tasting Benefits Pints for Prostates
    All About Beer Magazine and Thirsty Monk Pub Host Event During Asheville Beer Week

Asheville, N.C. – All About Beer Magazine and the Thirsty Monk Pub will present the inaugural Asheville Rare & Wild Beer Tasting on May 31 from 6-9 p.m. to benefit Pints for Prostates, a nationwide campaign designed to raise awareness about the importance of early detection in fighting prostate cancer.

TheAsheville Rare & Wild Beer Tasting is expected to feature hard to find beers from 24 leading craft breweries. The event will be held at 66 Asheland Ave. in Asheville during Asheville Beer Week. Tickets for the Asheville Rare& Wild Beer Tasting will go on sale on March 15 at noon. Only 250 tickets will be sold for the event and will be available online at http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/venueSearch.jsp?venue_id=9521.Tickets are $75 and include admission to the event, beer sampling, commemorative tasting glass, program and heavy hors d'oeuvres.

“Ashevilleis one of the nation’s great beer destinations and the Asheville Rare &Wild Beer Tasting is a chance to salute the tremendous beer culture of the city,”said Daniel Bradford, publisher of All About Beer Magazine. “We want this to be one of the highlights of Asheville Beer Week and help raise awareness about an important men’s health issue by teaming up with Pints for Prostates.”
    Breweries that have already accepted an invitation to pour at the event include: Haw River Farmhouse Ales, Thirsty Monk Pub, Boston Beer and Stone Brewing Company. Others will join the list shortly and be posted at www.arwbt.com. Each brewery will pour unique beers. Some will be rare and others will be “wild” featuring Barrel Aged, Sours, Casks and vintage beers

“Anyone who has been lucky enough to attend the DenverRare Beer Tasting that Pints for Prostates and All About Beer Magazine started back in 2009 will tell you it is one of the best beer events in the country,” said Caroline Forsman of Thirsty Monk Pub. “We want to bring some of that beer passion to Asheville Beer Week.”

“TheAsheville Rare & Wild Beer Tasting is a great way for us to reach men through the universal language of beer,” said Rick Lyke, a prostate cancer survivor, drinks journalist and founder of the Pints for Prostates campaign. “Brewers are going to be pouring some incredible rare and exotic brews. This should be a great day to be a craft beer fan in Asheville.”

Pints for Prostates is a 501(c)3 charity. It raises awareness about prostate cancer at beer festivals and pub events. Funds raised by the group help support free men’s health screenings provided by the Prostate Conditions Education Council and Us TOO Prostate Cancer Education and Support Network, which operates support groups for men battling the disease. You can get more information about Pints for Prostates at www.pintsforprostates.org.

About All About Beer Magazine

Now in its 34th year, All About Beer Magazine has been the essential source for the evolving beer culture. Winner of numerous awards and recognitions, All About Beer Magazine publishes the best on beer — its history and culture, beer travel, entertaining, brewing and collecting — six times a year with one additional bonus issue annually. The magazine promotes the positive attributes of the growing beer culture by hosting the World Beer Festivals where guests have the opportunity to taste samples from a wide range of beers and to discuss the beer with brewers and knowledgeable servers. For more information, please visit http://www.allaboutbeer.com, follow @allboutbeer on Twitter and like the magazine on Facebook athttp://facebook.com/allaboutbeermag.

About Thirsty Monk

The Thirsty Monk is located at 92 Patton Ave. in Asheville. It is open Sunday from 3-10 p.m., Monday to Thursday 4 p.m. to 12 a.m., Friday 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Saturday 2 p.m. to 2 a.m.. Monk South Pub & Brewery is located in Geiber Village at 1836 Hendersonville Rd. in Asheville. It is open Monday 4-10 p.m. and Tuesday to Saturday from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. www.monkpub.com. Thirsty Monk Pub has received many awards and acknowledgements includeing Craftbeer.com’s Best Bar in the South.They have also been featured in Garden&Gun Magazine and Travel Channel.

About Pints for Prostates

Pints for Prostates is a 501(c)3 a campaign that reaches men through the universal language of beer to encourage them to take charge of their health. The group was founded by prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke in 2008. The grassroots effort raises awareness among men of the importance of regular health screenings and PSA testing by making appearances at beer festivals, social networking and pro bono advertising. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org. Pints for Prostates also has a presence on Facebook and Twitter (@pints4prostates).

12. Lyke2Drink

John:
    Offer stands. Want your refund?
    Rick

13. Lyke2Drink

All:

We have been receiving brewery commitments for this special event and should be announcing a list of 24 participating breweries very shortly. This event will have some great rare and exotic beers, with a limit of 250 tickets sold. It benefits Pints for Prostates (www.pintsforprostates.com). In addition to a tasting glass, food will be served.

We undertsand that the ticket price is not for everyone, but for $75 we believe ticket holders will get a great experience. It is a charity event and helps raise funds for the Pints for Prostates mission. There are a variety of events taking place during Asheville Beer Week, so there will be something for everyone. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

Unfortunately some people have decided to spread false rumors. In one case, a patron at an event in Portland last year (offered a refund after the event) has decided to slander the organization. We are not sure what motivates this person, since we have gone out of our way to try to make them happy.

Check out the comments on the Mountain forum of people that have attended the Denver Rare Beer Tasting the last four years to get a feel for the type of event we have planned. Better yet, watch this video .

Thanks to everyone who has already purchased a ticket. We are going to have a great event for a great cause.

Rick

14. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Upon further thought, yes I do. I'll send you a beermail with my address.

15. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

As I indicated previously, please identify just what that "mis-information" is. I invited you previously to do that, and you either were unable to or chose not to.

Here's what I've said so far:

"In my experience, all of their events tend to be expensive and/or overpriced."

"I attended an event put on by them last year in Portland, and was not happy with how that played out."

"As I promised the organizer last year, here's the thread from that event."

"IMHO, transparency is not exactly something these folks are best known for."

Please feel free to point out what you feel is inaccurate about any of those statements. All I did was provide a link to the thread from last year, which included your "explanation" as well. Folks on BA can read it for themselves and arrive at their own opinion/conclusion. That strikes you as unfair?

Frankly, I know next to nothing about your organization, other than what's on your website. There's no way for me to independently verify the information on that site, but based on the event I attended last July, I remain skeptical.

16. kp

kp Jun 5, 2002 Georgia

I'm skeptical of any charity organization that keeps secret how funds are split between the actual cause and "organizational expenses".

17. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

"In one case, a patron at an event in Portland last year (offered a refund after the event) has decided to slander the organization."

Rick. I understand that you're passionate about your "organization," but you're starting to sound like an idiot.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  18. Lyke2Drink

Pints for Prostates is a grassroots campaign that uses the universal language of beer to reach men with an important health message. The campaign raises awareness among men about the importance of regular health screenings and early detection by making appearances at beer events, social networking and pro bono advertising.

Pints for Prostates is a registered as a 501(c)3 charity and counts on the support of volunteers across the country to organize events and staff information booths at festivals. Funds generated by the group go to fighting prostate cancer and assisting men with the disease. In addition to funding its education and awareness efforts, Pints for Prostates supports other 501(c)3 organizations involved in the fight against prostate cancer. Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education and Support Network, which works to support, educate and advocate for men with prostate cancer and their families, and the Prostate Conditions Education Council, which organizes free men’s health screening clinics across the U.S., are recipients of Pints for Prostates financial support. Pints for Prostates has sponsored men's health screening events in a number of cities, including Portland, Ore.; Denver, Colo.; Columbia, S.C.; and Seattle, Wash.

Pints for Prostates partners with healthcare providers, organizations and suppliers; brewers, restaurants, retail stores, beer industry groups and other interested parties to get critical information to men. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org.

19. kp

kp Jun 5, 2002 Georgia

20. Verecund

Verecund Aug 31, 2008 Texas

I have no affiliation with Pints for Prostates, but it seems very unreasonable to compare United Way, which has total assets around $100 million and whose CEO makes $750,000 (and which employs at least ten other people who make over $200,000), with a 501(c)(3), completely run by volunteers, with annual revenues around $100,000. You're right that PfP could throw their 990 Form on their website, but, if I were to guess, I would bet that there's nothing malevolent going on in their not doing so. It likely has more to do with how the individual volunteers want to use their limited time.

Anyone can access a 501(c)(3)'s 990 Form on Guidestar. It takes less than a minute to register. Here's Pints for Prostates. In 2011, they received $128,353 in revenue and had $82,138 in expenses (but $32,632 of these "expenses" were donations to other prostate charities). Event operating expenses were around $40,000.

21. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

I wonder how those $75 tickets are selling with no beer list.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe