Aslin Beer Co. (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Slack, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

2. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

What are the odds they open a taproom in 2019? Going on year 3 without one, would be nice if they would sell singles or put some more kegs in local distribution until they can open a taproom.

3. Slack

Trader

Last I asked (2 weeks ago), the staff was stating this year at which point mug club membership would open up again.

4. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Heard that barrel aged Bale is coming this weekend. Anyone have any insight?

5. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

It’s called El Rio. They were bottling it this week. I’m not sure when it will be released though.

6. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I asked about the Alexandria taproom during today's El Rio release. They said they're looking at a mid-summer opening, and everything is apparently proceeding on schedule.

I know this is probably stating the obvious, but Alexandria>Herndon.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  7. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I would be pleasantly surprised if Alexandria opens mid-Summer

oh and $30 for a 500ml bottle? LOL

8. joerooster

Probably true for a lot of people but for people in Loudoun and western Fairfax, Alexandria is a hike.

I’m predicting an early 2020 opening.

9. joerooster

So is the 'Next Beer Due' series one and done? They way I understood it, the next beer in the series was set to release on 3/8.

10. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Instagram says the new one is out today.

11. Slack

Trader

Anyone have info on the members only bottles popping up?

12. coquet

Trader

My understanding is that Aslin gave Mug Club members the opportunity to pitch in like $5,000 and choose as many as four adjuncts for their own barrel aged beer. Not sure if Aslin is still offering that or if it was open to anyone outside Mug Club.

Slack likes this.
  13. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I'd pay $5000 for a beer without freaking adjuncts.

dirtylou and Sheppard like this.
  14. hoppytobehere

What the fucking hell

15. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

If this is true, it appears they took a cue from Prairie Artisan Ales membership club - Prairie Dawgz. They offer a similar thing to members.

16. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,501) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Does anyone know when the last batch of Beer Drinking Is Not A Crime was released? Was there a January release? Also, do Aslin usually date their cans? I could not find a date on the can, but this wouldn't be the first time that I found a canning date actually scratched off from the bottom of the can...

17. Dark_Scarecrow

Dark_Scarecrow Devotee (401) Jul 19, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

The last release I have a record of is 1-29-19. Also, Aslin does not date their cans.
    Hope that helps.

hoppytobehere and Snowcrash000 like this.
  18. coquet

Trader

They did can dating back when they outsourced their canning process to a third party, but they lost that when they brought the function in-house. Their shoebox of a facility apparently isn't big enough to house the date stamping equipment. Hopefully they go back to dating when they get the Alexandria site running.

Sheppard likes this.
  19. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

I’m with you. Less adjuncts for me please. Have you had Colchester? It’s fantastic. Only a hint of maple from the barrel.

20. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Correct. It was $5K. I am not Mug Club, but the dude I got the bottles from is. He offered up a certain number of the bottles on FB, so a large group of us basically just split the cost of it. 1 spot got you 3 bottles.

Our beer was "The Gang Buys a Barrel" (coconut & vanilla). I'm a whore for coconut, so I figured why not. I thought it turned out pretty good, and this is coming from someone that isn't a huge fan of Aslin's stouts. They made great use of the coconut. Doesn't have that sunscreen taste to it like some other coconut beers I've had.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  21. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (139) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

So you have some bottles, you say....

22. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Haha I unfortunately do not. I drank one already, I'm saving one for when my son is born in a couple months, and traded the other one. They bottled a lot of it, so I'm sure there is a ton of trades available out there.

23. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (139) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

haha for sure. was gonna PM

24. Slack

Trader

Thoughts on Bale B1 versus B2?

25. coquet

Trader

I thought B1 and B2 tasted pretty identical. Haven't tried B3 (this past weekend's release) yet.

26. Slack

Trader

Was B3 this past weekend? I thought it was B2, my mistake!

Let me rephrase- thoughts on Bale B2 vs B3?

27. joerooster

Surprise bottle drop right now

28. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Sold out

29. coquet

Trader

I asked about the Alexandria site during today's Philadelphia release. They still think they're on track for a July opening. Fingers crossed!

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  30. joerooster

Any idea if they still plan to move all can sales to Alexandria when it opens? I recall that was the plan at one point.

31. coquet

Trader

My recollection is that they planned to keep both sites open for can sales.

32. hoppytobehere

July? That would be great, but I am highly skeptical

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  33. coquet

Trader

Their staff has consistently given me the impression that everything is coming along swimmingly, but who knows how much info they're actually getting from the brewery owners.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  34. damasta414

damasta414 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2017 Wisconsin

Does Aslin actually have a taproom?

35. coquet

Trader

Not currently. They used to have a taproom at their original (and still-current) site, but their popularity meant a frequently packed parking lot. That pissed off some of their neighbors, one or more of whom had enough sway with the fire marshal to get Aslin's maximum occupancy reduced to basically just their employees. They've been trying to open a new taproom about a mile away from their current spot for something like two years, but, to put it mildly, the city of Herndon has not been particularly cooperative, and it looks like it's going to be a while before that building is fit for use. They're also now working on a taproom in Alexandria, and, if we're all lucky, it'll open sometime this summer.

36. joerooster

Any idea what the Town is doing/has done to prevent them from opening the Herndon taproom? I had thought the issue with the Town had to do with Aslin wanting to increase their production above what is currently allowed, the Town declined their request but maybe there are more issues beyond that.

37. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I don't know the details but in terms of that second location it would seem, based on visual inspection, like the issue is more with them buying a shithole building than Herndon city cooperation.

38. coquet

Trader

I probably should have cautioned that some of my post was based on discussion from the Facebook fan page for Aslin rather than firsthand knowledge. Apologies if I misstated or overstated anything.

39. coquet

Trader

Based on the owners' recent Instagram posts, specifically those of aslinkai and aslin_andrew, the July timeframe is looking increasingly realistic.

Trythevealchild and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  40. joerooster

I just checked out Kai's photos, there is a picture of a couple tanks (not sure exactly what they are, not a brewer or into brewing) on a truck and the caption says 'Bye bye Herndon'. So sounds like they are leaving Herndon for good or maybe it's just those tanks are being moved from Herndon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.