Aslin Beer Co. (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Slack, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coquet

coquet Initiate (108) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

It's been noted elsewhere on BA, either in this thread or its 2018 predecessor, but the owners have expressly stated they plan to continue can sales in their current spot in Herndon until they can open their new Herndon facility (which looks like it'll occur on the 7th of never). Alexandria will be their HQ, main brewing facility, and main site for cans.

2. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (65) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I haven't seen them (Aslin) say anything about the Herndon location in like 6-8 months so wasn't sure if plans had changed.

Sheppard likes this.
  3. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,549) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

just opened a can of "Browser History"...wow..fantastic stout...just enough coconut/coffee/cinnamon to keep me happy

4. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (108) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

When I stopped by earlier this week, the guy there told me they will still sell cans out of Sunset Dr location in Herndon after Alexandria opens.

5. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I’d hate to see what happens when you don’t get your coconut/coffee/cinnamon!

Prince_Casual likes this.
  6. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Has anybody had the Black IPA (6/30/2019) and if so how is it?

7. coquet

Trader

If any of you were fortunate enough to snag Luling bottles this weekend, you're in for a real treat. My first bottle was absolutely divine, and it's easily among the top three beers I've had in 2019. I feel like they've just recently begun hitting their stride with their barrel aging program, and, now that they're moving much, much closer to my place, that presents an awesome situation for my taste buds and a scary predicament for my financial stability.

VABA and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  8. Slack

Slack Savant (953) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I am glad to hear that but unfortunately I got shut out of that and Sperryville due to release fiasco. I have to settle on Castle Hill which I thought was really solid.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  9. srw

srw Defender (613) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

10. joerooster

I'll never buy another Aslin beer after that BS. Doubling the advertised limit when there was a long line is a good way to piss people off. I can understand reducing the limit to help spread the beer to more people, increasing makes no sense to me.

11. Ryanwithacomb

Ryanwithacomb Initiate (25) Jan 22, 2018 Massachusetts

Are all these 15% stouts available the same base beer with different adjuncts?

12. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,257) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I don't have anything to back it up, but I would assume so. They taste similar and there's no way all their stouts randomly end up at the exact same abv, they've got that base dialed in.

Ryanwithacomb likes this.
  13. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (108) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Agreed. Was going to get a couple for a guy I trade with, but saw something about a line being 2.5 hours and getting hosed. No way I wait in a line longer than 25-30 deep, much less over an hour.

14. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (100) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah, that was some first class douche-baggery. Rather surprised they have issued no statement on this even after so many people raised hell about it. Lots of devout locals lined up hours in advance just to get crapped on with no explanation. Poor business practices like that will not gain customers or retain current ones.

15. RKP1967

How many months you reckon until they're out of business?

16. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (829) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Surely we are near the end as a civilization. People waiting in line 3 hours to pay $30 for a 500ml bottle of adjunct sugar water? Surprised there wasn't a riot when some people got shut out. Probably thought about it, but were out of breath just from getting out of the camping chair

Prince_Casual and RKP1967 like this.
  17. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (91) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

Question from a visitor .... if there is not a special release, can I just walk in and pick up a case or 2 of cans
    I will be passing through in June on a Saturday around 11/noon

18. coquet

Trader

Pick-up 'n go is usually pretty quick and painless. That being said, if you're coming on a Saturday around opening, odds are high you'll have a special release to contend with, which usually means a pretty slow line.

ClarkstonMark likes this.
  19. brennan813

brennan813 Initiate (123) Jun 4, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

What time do people usually start lining up for Aslin releases?

20. joerooster

Normal release, I don't think anyone lines up anymore as nothing sells out.

If you're going on Saturday for the BA beers, probably be a shit show after the bullshit they pulled a couple weeks ago. Plan on being there for 1-2 hours, if that means getting there a couple hours before open and being in the front or getting there at open and being at the back.

ArlVABeerGuy and brennan813 like this.
  21. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (49) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

What happened a couple of weeks ago?

22. joerooster

They advertised 2 bottles per beer per person and then silently doubled the limit the day of the release when there was a long line. They also silently released some bottles a day earlier than they had advertised, not as big of an issue.

23. Slack

Trader

It would be helpful if Aslin developed a release process. With the new location, this is still going to be an issue. Either tickets or wristbands and more than two points of service would make things a lot smoother.

24. RKP1967

They really need to consult these idiots who spend their lives in beer lines about how to run a beer line!

25. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (100) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Anyone opened any of their Buku bottles yet? Opinions?

26. coquet

Trader

I haven't opened any of mine yet, but I'm hearing Saigon is the favorite of the bunch. Others have said the rum influence on the other two is subtle, but it can be offputting if you're not a fan of rum in general. Why you would buy a $30 rum-barrel-aged beer when you know you don't like rum is beyond me.

27. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (243) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Do their BA Stouts tend to last through the day or is this a line up a couple hours before they open type of situation?

28. coquet

Trader

It varies.

In rarer cases, like with Sperryville and Caledonia, they did single-barrel projects. The post-Mug-Club allotments were in the neighborhood of 100 bottles, which resulted in them selling out in around an hour (and in the case of Sperryville, that first hour only included people who had been in line for over two hours before they opened).

More commonly, they're multi-barrel releases and last at least the first full day. Philly, Boston, and last week's Buku releases fall in this category. If you count the multi-day silent release on Luling, it lands in this group as well. I tend to take the "bottles per person per day" limit as indicative of how long they expect a release to last. Anything more than "one per" is probably going to make it through a full Saturday, at least in my estimation.

YMMV, and this is an ever-changing situation. I also wouldn't be surprised if they experience a big demand shift following the Alexandria relocation.

Vikings1201 likes this.
  29. coquet

Trader

srw likes this.
  30. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (102) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

They'll have an actual tap room for their Alexandria location correct? Might be making an east coast trip in September. Also trying to figure out if its better/easier flying into Dulles or Reagan...

31. coquet

Trader

They will have a taproom in Alexandria when it opens. Latest estimate is early July, but we'll see.

Dulles is way out in far suburbia. Regan is right on a temporarily closed Metro line and close to DC proper.

asong_net likes this.
  32. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (104) Mar 24, 2011 New York

Visiting the parents this weekend, are growler fills a thing anymore or is it cans or bust

33. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (829) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Just cans. Hope you like 15% imperial stouts in the summer.

Sheppard, ArlVABeerGuy and beernuts like this.
  34. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (104) Mar 24, 2011 New York

Yeah I noticed that on the site, last I stopped by was 2 or 3 years ago, figured things had changed

35. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,325) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

They've had several of those beers on for a while now, but it's this warm in the DMV area and they've got 4 15% imperial stouts vs 3 of everything else? That's ridiculous.

36. Slack

Trader

Agree. They went from banging out IPAs every couple of days to high dollar weekend stouts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of it but given the weather, I'd rather be sipping on OS regularly.

Sheppard and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  37. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,325) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

It's not like I wouldn't drink them, but I definitely don't feel like drinking them now. If I were to purchase them, I would probably not drink them for a while (see: until they're more weather appropriate). With these so adjunct laden, that would mean those flavors could be faded by the time I drink them. I'd rather spend money on stuff I'd drink now since that's the case for me. More power to the people that loves these and can drink these in this weather.

I'm with you. Give me OS, give me BSB, they actually do the smaller IPAs very well (compared to other breweries). Honestly, Aslin's production shift is why when I go out that way, I'm going to Ocelot and Aslin is just a standby that I don't get to.

ArlVABeerGuy and Slack like this.
  38. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (46) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Agree with you guys. OS and Small Town are my favorite beers from them. Don’t sleep on Velocirabbit. It’s really good at 5.5%

Slack and Sheppard like this.
  39. coquet

Trader

I asked about the Alexandria location today, and they're now thinking mid-July. Seems it just keeps moving farther out. I just hope it's open in time for the anniversary party in September. I racked up some steep Uber fares getting out to Herndon and back last year.
    Maybe I'm an outlier, but weather doesn't really have much of an effect on my choice in beer style. Imperial stouts probably make up 60%-80% of what I drink year round. If it's a chilly winter's night, I warm myself up with a big, boozy monster stout. If it's a 100-degree, full humidity summer's day, I crank up the A/C and settle down with a big, boozy monster stout. To each his own, I guess.

40. joerooster

Down to 3 beers now, 2 15% stouts and a gose. Wtf are they doing over there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.