Aslin Beer Co. (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Slack, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

100% agree. How is it that Bringing Sexy Back hasn't been released in forever? I do enjoy getting the 15% ABV stouts.....so I can ship them to Boston in exchange for Trillium IPAs. :slight_smile:

7irondave likes this.
  2. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

They moved all the large-scale production equipment to Alexandria but haven't started brewing there.

3. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

They have moved most of their brewing equipment to the new location. Last I heard they haven’t started brewing there yet. A drop in production for a few weeks.

4. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (88) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

When is the anni party roughly? Would be in the DMV around 9/10-9/11

5. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I'd suggest just emailing them or I guess you could look at IG and see when it was last year.

6. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

9/14

7. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,357) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I just checked Top New Beers and was surprised to see that I haven't had any of them. I checked to see what I might have access to so I checked what Aslin beers are on there. All of the Aslin beers are these big stouts. Their recognition as a brewery has completely tilted this way, I guess. Good for them, bad for me, I guess.

8. coquet

Trader

Initially, Aslin's big draw was their NE-style IPAs. Master of Karate, Orange Starfish, and the like put asses in seats, including mine. In my opinion, which I will admit was not vocally shared on this site, their early stouts and barleywines were pretty underwhelming.

As they scaled up, some of that IPA magic got lost. Nearly all of the repeat and new IPAs took an undesirable malty twist in term of the hop/malt balance, at least to my taste, and I took a break from their IPAs for a while accordingly. Their megastout game simultaneously started nailing it, and that kept my business.

Fast forwarding, and as we approach the halfway point of 2019, I'm just now recognizing that Aslin is straight up hitting their stride. I usually dislike TIPAs, but Jenerik and Mom Jeans were damn near superlative for the style. Many of their barrel-aged stouts strike me as being on par with some of the mostly highly regarded market leaders. Their fruited milk sugar sours have been friggin' divine. Needless to say, I've been liking what they're doing.

And this is the only thing that gives me pause regarding their ever-approaching move to Alexandria. The new spot will be exceedingly accessible for me, which sounds great, but the fact that they're brewing on different equipment means the beer might not taste the same. They've shown a great talent for tweaking recipes, and I hope that can carry over to the new spot, but I'm in cautiously optimistic mode until we get confirmation.

9. joerooster

If they are moving the equipment from Herndon to Alexandria, then aren't hey going to be brewing on the same equipment??

10. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (169) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

Different water and chemistry is a key piece here. I would assume there will be some upgraded equipment which will be more efficient and will require recipe tweaks. NEED TO HAVE QC ON POINT!!!!

eppie82 and 7irondave like this.
  11. coquet

Trader

They aren't exactly posting a detailed inventory of their assets for the public, so there's some degree of speculation involved, but Instagram posts by their owners strongly suggest at least some of the equipment is new.

12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Considering their growing pains in the past, I would probably give them some time to work out the kinks at the new facility.

eppie82 and Prince_Casual like this.
  13. Sheppard

Trader

The problem, for me, is that I don’t care for “megastouts” or triple IPAs. I don’t really like playing the high ABV game so many of their beers at the moment are a non-starter. I also try to stay away from lactose beers for the most part. So in terms of “available production,” Aslin doesn’t have a lot for me. I have had some of their tried and tried stuff more recently and they were still good for me, but I haven’t had them consistently like some people (possibly you). I have experienced the QC issues first hand as I used to go before I moved down here, so I am a little wary even when I order their stuff at a bar.

14. beerman2017

Trader

Well they finally released Bringing Sexy Back. Here’s hoping it tastes the same!

Prince_Casual likes this.
  15. Sheppard

Trader

Really going for the old hop forward favorites this week with BSB, Laser Raptors, and a OS variant.

Bfairhurst74, Slack and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  16. beerman2017

Trader

I can report back that it hits the spot. Definitely a great one! Too bad it sold out.

Sheppard likes this.
  17. cap1088

cap1088 Initiate (0) May 1, 2017 Nevada

Hey all,

I'm thinking about making a stop at Aslin on my way to RVA on Saturday. Does anyone have insight in to how bad the lines are for their BA stout releases? I'm assuming this one will be one of the worst due to the amount of bottles and what they're releasing. Are we talking hours in line or does that not typically happen at Aslin?

18. coquet

Trader

If you show up before or at opening, you're probably looking at 2+ hours in line. Many of the recent bottle releases have carried over until the next day, and, if that's the case with this one, you probably wouldn't encounter any line in the mid-afternoon or later. No clue on bottle count, and 4 bottles per person is unusually high, so I'm not even going to try to speculate on how long bottles last.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  19. Sheppard

Trader

They added a wine barrel aged sour conditioned on raspberries for Saturday. Have they released a lot of these sours? How have they been?

20. coquet

Trader

The only other wine barred aged sours I recall were Twinkle and Glint, but the one for this weekend will probably be fairly different from them given that it has nearly twice the ABV. Their non-BA fruit/lactose sours (e.g., Totally Cannon, Ticklish and Insecure, Next Beer Due 4/19) have generally been pretty tasty, but the description for tomorrow's bottle reads very differently than the fruit/lactose ones, so I doubt those are instructive either. You might try checking Untappd tonight to see if anyone rates it, because I think Mug Club generally gets these a day early.

21. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (44) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

Crazy people are buying these stouts for 30.00 a bottle......it’s basically a little more than a pint....let alone its 100 degrees outside.

22. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,585) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

I wrote a similar post in the 2018 thread but I’ll do this again since I’m so wowed right now.

I have an awesome trade partner local to aslin who has blessed me with about a dozen boxes in the past 9 months. As I type this, I’m up to 83 rated beers from aslin.

His most recent box included a wide array of beers which hit each of the major styles. Im talking sours, IPAs, DIPAs, TIPAs, stouts and even some of them uber expensive barrel project brews. I’m blown away by the consistent quality they produce across the board. Their “worst” beers are 4.25s and up for me.

I live on Long Island, with easy access to NYC breweries and distro...meaning I have a lot of world class choices. With that being said, aslin is my favorite brewery. (Side note: I think The Answer is my second favorite lol)

Please don’t judge me, but I’m going to steer my 13 year old to go to college in VA to give me a good excuse to make the drive down there a couple of times each year!

TurkeysDrinkBeer and mig100 like this.
  23. coquet

Trader

In terms of their beer quality, I'm on the same page. I think I've noted this before, but they really seem to be hitting their stride in 2019. Everything I've had from them this year has been great. I've had more Aslin than any other brewery this year, and, like you, I think 4.25 has been the worst rating I've given one of their beers.

That being said, for all their brewing talent, these guys have no clue how to run a business. They took a lot of flack a few months ago for how they handled the Luling release. For those unfamiliar with it, they announced a Saturday release at 4 per, but they silently started sales two days early. By the time Saturday rolled around, their inventory was seriously depleted, and, although they dropped the limit to 2 per--which pissed off a lot of people who weren't tipped off about the silent release--they still sold out before they could get through the initial line--which pissed off even more people who lined up before opening but nevertheless struck out.

Apparently, they learned little from that, as yesterday's release showed. There's zero chance they were unaware Harrisonburg would draw huge crowds, not to mention they were releasing three other barrel-aged goodies. Setting the limit at 4 per, and not adjusting that when they saw the enormous opening line, was obviously going to shut out anyone who couldn't be in line for several hours on a 100 degree Saturday morning. I've heard a lot of people speculate Aslin intentionally did that to draw out as many people as possible, both to clear inventory before their move and as a parting "fuck you" to their asshole neighbors, but, to the extent that's accurate, it suggests they were blind to how it would alienate a large number of their local fans.

Sheppard and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  24. joerooster

If true, that's pathetic but doesn't surprise me.

Not sure why you're calling the neighbors assholes, I wouldn't be thrilled about having people lined up in front of my business and taking up all the parking spots in the business park if I were trying to run a business. Aslin shouldn't allow their line to basically block the entrance to multiple other businesses either. If anyone's an asshole, it's Aslin.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  25. coquet

Trader

I don't know if it's rumor, speculation, or fact, but I've heard a lot of indications that the neighbors were instrumental in getting Aslin's taproom shut down due to one or more of them having clout with the fire marshal. Along the same lines, I've heard part of the reason it's taking so long to get the second Herndon location up and running is, again, the neighbors fighting against whatever permitting/zoning decisions Aslin needs. I have no way of confirming either of those, so take them with whatever grain of salt you deem appropriate.

But I have heard firsthand accounts of one of the businesses (the dance studio) trying to get cars towed, despite the fact that none of the parking spaces in that strip mall are reserved for any particular business. And I've heard one account of a person getting a tire slashed in front of Complete Kitchen, and, when the person pointed it out to the business owner, the owner's response was "That's my parking spot." Between these issues and my belief that there's probably some truth to the paragraph above, yeah, I think they're assholes.

26. coquet

Trader

Interesting Twitter traffic over the last 24 hours regarding the Alexandria site. DCBeer tweeted that Alexandria's opening is "Very very close," and Phil Runco of Brightest Young Things posted a screenshot of his RSVP confirmation to some sort of Aslin Friends and Family event. I wouldn't be surprised to see the official announcement in the next few days.

27. hoppytobehere

Someone hinted at them opening (soft opening?) on Monday

ArlVABeerGuy and coquet like this.
  28. coquet

Trader

If DCBeer's latest tweet is to be believed, the Alexandria taproom will be open no later than next Saturday, 7/13. HOORAY!

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  29. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

7/15

Sheppard and coquet like this.
  30. Sheppard

Trader

And the original tweet to that thread with pictures for those who missed clicking through.

ArlVABeerGuy and hoppytobehere like this.
  31. coquet

Trader

Their decoration scheme reminds me of the place where my toddler goes for gymnastics. Oh well, I'm not exactly going for the ambiance, and it's not like the old taproom was much to look at.

Sage954 likes this.
  32. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

After a few Pew Pew Pew’s the Mind the Hop wall might make you a little dizzy.

33. joerooster

Has 7/15 been confirmed by anyone at Aslin? Seems odd they wouldn't have posted anything about the opening if it's 4 days out.

34. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

Nothing yet, but their instagram story just showed the friends and family event

35. rightcoastn

rightcoastn Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2010 Maryland

Seems kind of weird that they're having the public opening on a Monday and not on the weekend. They'll be selling cans out of the new spot, right?

36. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

How would it be a soft opening if it were on a weekend?

37. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (110) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana

I saw a post on their IG saying they're looking to hire another brewer

Anyone know if this is to supplement the current team or did someone leave?

38. coquet

Trader

The Alexandria taproom is open.

VABA and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  39. hoppytobehere

Wow just like that huh. lol

40. joerooster

For a brewery that's been trying to open a taproom for years and who seems to hype up just about everything they can (nearly 50 IG posts to the 3rd anny party), that was the a pretty low key announcement.

mig100 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.