Aslin Beer Co. (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Slack, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Nice tap list and curious about the cellar bottles, especially the price.

2. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Weren't the bottles like $90 or so at the pop-up in DC? I'd imagine they are no less than $60.

edit: Looking at the old thread, they were in the $65-75 range (plus tax and tip)

#122 joerooster, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  3. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Their approach makes sense. There are bound to be a few hiccups here and there as they get the taproom running. I'm sure they'd prefer to work out any issues at a time when they're not slammed with customers. That's why they did the public opening on a Monday rather than a weekend, and that's why they're not screaming "EVERYBODY COME PARTY NOW!!!" on social media.

Prince_Casual and mig100 like this.
  4. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

This is 100% accurate lol

Prince_Casual likes this.
  5. TmaveTebow

TmaveTebow Initiate (57) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

Would love to hear everyone’s first impressions of the new taproom.

6. joerooster

I get that they don’t want a huge crowd on day 1 but I’m referring to the IG post which just gives the address and no other info. You’d think they would at least mention food, hours, growler fills, can sales, etc in the very first post about the new tap room’s opening.

7. srw

srw Zealot (598) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I went to the new taproom today. Decent place, pretty big seating area but a small bar. When you walk in there's an area to the right that leads to the upstairs that's empty so I imagine they will do something with that space. They had 2 basketball games and a pacman arcade game. For food they had deviled eggs, a spicy chicken sandwich a roast pork sandwich and something else I'm blanking on right now. They said they will be selling cans later this week. No growler fills yet. They also had some older bottles for sale if you asked, but I just stuck with drafts.
    [​IMG]

8. coquet

Trader

Get ready to take a hit to the pocketbook if you go the older bottle route. They're only available for on-site consumption, and they're charging $100 for some of them.

They also said they haven't started brewing on the new equipment yet, and they don't expect any new system releases to start until mid-August.

VABA and srw like this.
  9. joerooster

Was the food from a food truck? Order at the bar? Servers?

10. srw

srw Zealot (598) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Thanks for the info on the bottles! I don't like any of their stouts enough to spend even close to $100 on them.

I ordered food at the bar and they give me one of the numbered signs. An employee bought it over a few minutes after I order the pork sandwich. It came from a food truck but I didn't see the name of the truck.

11. joerooster

Thanks, probably their food truck (it's orange/red with no name/logo) if Aslin employees are handling to orders and serving.

12. joerooster

How was the parking?

13. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I'm wondering if they'll have more for sale in Herndon once they get up and running in Alexandria. Are they keeping the two separate? Brewing in Herndon for sales in Herndon only?

14. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

TurkeysDrinkBeer and Sheppard like this.
  15. coquet

Trader

I've heard rumors that Richard is no longer involved, and the fact that his name wasn't mentioned once in that Brightest Young Things article, when Drew and Kai were named repeatedly, seems pretty glaring. If this is true, it would be an unwelcome development from my perspective. The thing I love most about Aslin is their adjunct-loaded, super boozy stouts, and my general understanding is that Richard was the primary driver for the success of their stout program. The fact that some of their more recent non-barrel-aged stouts (e.g., Cidiots, Interlopers) were not as well received as the OGs (e.g., Buku Mocha, Bale) might confirm that his stout tastes and talents have left the building.

16. coquet

Trader

Around New Year's Day, they announced they were changing practices to have the website serve as the single posting spot for public info. It must have gotten annoying to have to list a bunch of detail on the website, and on Facebook, and on Instagram, and on Twitter.

17. coquet

Trader

In general, when businesses take on too much expansion at once, they're at a huge risk of getting in over their head and failing spectacularly. I hope that's not what's going to happen with Aslin, but, as has been noted repeatedly in this thread, their business acumen is not nearly at on same level as their brewing talent. Some of Drew's comments in that article came off as arrogant, overconfident, and headstrong, suggesting some degree of blindness to their own fallibility.

18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

While I appreciate it when a brewery can do multiple things well, I for one wouldn't miss those overly sweet, syrupy, highly caloric messes they call stouts one bit. Especially on days like these.

19. joerooster

Again, I was referring to the post about the opening of the tap room. I understand not wanting to post daily a list of what’s available but for a ‘grand opening’ announcement, I’d expect some level of detail.

20. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

This was much longer than I expected. I think that ambition is good and that breweries should aspire to make the best of each style that they make. I will say that the article made Kelley sound extremely self absorbed, which, since I don't know him personally, I don't know how he is in real life. I'd also add that he might want to work on using "we" versus "I" when referring to Aslin.

Regardless, I'm excited that they are open and look forward to checking out their spot. I think that location-wise, it should help them a lot. When I head to the Dulles area, I would go to Ocelot regardless of what mood I am in (hops or not). In Alexandria, I now have choices (and maybe I won't once these Top 3 in the world lagers start getting released!).

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  21. Sheppard

Trader

upon rereading, definitely too harsh on the I vs we sentiment but this stood out like a sore thumb[​IMG]

dirtylou likes this.
  22. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Man, their website is hilariously shitty. Both on desktop and mobile.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  23. Rickythejeweler

Rickythejeweler Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Maryland

In Alexandria, I see they do “full” and “half” pours, does anyone know how many ounces those would be and if it changes depending on the ABV?

24. coquet

Trader

The half pours are either 4 or 6 ounces, depending on ABV. I didn't ask about full pour sizes, but I would assume they're double the half pour size. Gone are the old taproom's full pints, I guess.

VABA likes this.
  25. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

How are they expecting to do 18K barrels a year if a "full pour" is only 8 or 12 ozs?

26. joerooster

Distribute to bars that do 16-22oz pours

VABA likes this.
  27. joerooster

They have a long way to go, Dark as Sin is closer to the bottom 3.

28. joerooster

If the full pours are double in size, the pricing is odd ($4/$6, $5/$7, $6/$8, etc).

29. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

That’s how the pricing is at the couple of breweries I most often go to. The half pours are usually a little heavy too.

30. Sheppard

Trader

I haven't had any of their lagers. I think I've had the opportunity (i.e. it was available at the bar) but something like Rothaus Pils was also on draft and if you think I am passing up that, you're crazy. I think that bravado gets interpreted negatively often times in the craft community, but I think that ambition is good. If Aslin wants to put in the time and effort of brewing and the extended tank time to make a great lager, I am all for that.

I feel like a lot of the problems with these breweries is that you have people who automatically think that whatever they brew is good. They give a favorable review or are afraid to review it negatively. You're like okay and you have their lager (for example) and it is not good. It may be terrible. This has happened to me a few times, which is why I am hesitant to jump into trying a style of beer that a brewery doesn't specialize in.

I don't know how this new brewery was financed, but I imagine Aslin has some major bills. I can't see them taking the time to dedicate to a lager program at this moment.

hoppytobehere, srw and montman like this.
  31. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Maybe those $30/500ml bottle releases are putting more of a dent in things. haha.

TurkeysDrinkBeer and srw like this.
  32. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Amen, brother

[​IMG]

Beers-es and Sheppard like this.
  33. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Off topic, but I just had that beer for the first time last night and loved it. Is there a similar quality Pilsner-type beer that's more readily available (including from Aslin)?

34. Sheppard

Trader

I suppose a lot of folks will point towards Ocelot's stable of pilsners (Sunnyside Dweller, Lamp, Sanitarium), but I've found those to be very citrusy/hop forward (not in a bad way). My personal favorite pils from a Virginia brewery is Ardent Pilsner. That'd be my vote.

Beers-es likes this.
  35. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (365) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

All of those listed are excellent.

36. coquet

Trader

Prediction: If Aslin does a barrel-aged bottle release before the Alexandria brewing system is turning out finished beer, they will completely wipe out their inventory--bottles, cans, and draft--in a single Saturday, and they'll struggle to maintain any availability until the Alexandria system is going.

I mean, that's got to be the case, right? They're currently relying on the lower-volume Herndon equipment, which often couldn't keep more than three beers on draft in the old taproom. That was with less demand and less beer available in packaged formats. Based on the crowds Alexandria is drawing, I'll be surprised if they have a robust and diverse taplist toward mid-August, even without a bottle release. If the first few Alexandria-brewed batches don't meet expectations, who knows how long the situation could stretch out.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  37. joerooster

A friend told me they saw labels for a beer called Reston at the Herndon location, assumed it was a BA beer as it was in the same format as many of the recent BA releases. Your prediction is likely correct.

38. coquet

Trader

I think they've already bottled another, named Alexandria, but it would probably be wise for them to hang onto both for a few weeks. The recent BA Buku trio was bottled weeks before their release, so it wouldn't be anything new for them.

39. joerooster

I don't think they will really run low on draft beers, they seem to have stockpiled a good amount of what they brewed over the past month or 2 and I assume they will continue to keg a good amount of what's currently being brewed. I think ending can sales in Herndon and/or stopping the distribution of kegs until the Alexandria system is up and running is likely.

40. joerooster

Herndon closed for the 3rd day in a row.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.