Aslin Beer Co. (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Slack, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpmitchno1

Cpmitchno1 Crusader (786) Jan 7, 2015 Virginia

Not breweries, but Churchkey in DC, Dominion Wine and Beer in Falls Church and Meridian Pint in Arlington all have excellent draft selections.

Dominion also has excellent food and great service and a great retail store for beer to go. Most selections are also available as growlers/crowlers.

2. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

You do realize OH is renting an indoor space in NYC, it's not in the parking lot of an industrial park in Landmark so there is a little more overhead. The $300 also includes SIX 4-packs and 2 bottles. Not that I'd pay that but it's pretty inline with what Aslin is charging for their event.

3. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Are they selling this $100 bottle of beer to go, or are they selling it to be drunk on premises? If it's the latter, that's completely understandable. Are bars/taprooms required to sell their bottles at the original retail price?

My bitch about the taproom is the no outside food rule. Completely understandable if you're a brewpub with a full kitchen. But that's not the case here. They're selling a few items out of a crappy food truck. If we want to bring our vegetarian meals to a taproom to eat with some nice drafts, I guess we won't be choosing Aslin.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  4. RKP1967

What if you have no use for the four packs or bottles? I guess you go with the $150 bargain level.

5. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

On site only.

6. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong..... but a lot of breweries do this these days. Westbrook has a very extensive and expensive on site list. Cigar City also has some pricier on site bottles, usually $50 and up. I think this is slowly becoming the norm.

7. Slack

Slack Savant (943) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I can attest to the highly priced reserve bottle list at WB. I indulged with a group of people and we all got a taste of Reserva. It was a great option to have but definitely overpriced and I wouldn't do it outside that setting.

Specifically for the DC Metro area, I believe Aslin is capitalizing on two things: the area's microeconomic climate and the pastry stout hype. $30 bottles that sell out routinely and similarly reserve bottles that are no longer available (Beaumont?) appear to lend credence here but they are also the only real game in town which definitely helps.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  8. RKP1967

It's funny, I remember being in San Diego in 2012 and drinking tasters of Speedway variants at well below the bottle price per ounce. How times change.

9. mikeydoesit

mikeydoesit Initiate (31) Sep 25, 2016 Pennsylvania

did anybody go to their anniversary party last year? Heard it was a logistic nightmare (surprise surprise, hate their beer), but the guest list is nutty. Can't find a sample list of what the breweries brought, but I can only imagine the places don't bring their top notch beers considering how vast the list is.

10. Slack

Trader

The Mrs and I along with another couple went last year. The biggest drawback was the line to get in - it wrapped around the block into the neighborhood. We ended up wasting maybe 20-25 minutes of our session in line. The lines for beers moved really quickly but the short session window made it a mad dash to try everything you wanted. Some places like BL had a line across the parking lot. The other drawback according to the ladies was that the bathrooms were disgusting - not sure if they didn't clean them between sessions or what. And they cut everyone off 10 minutes before the session ended, Aside from all that, everyone was cordial and beers were great. Some places brought rare stuff, some did not. IIRC a list of beers was not provided and it was going tent to tent seeing what the breweries brought with them.

11. coquet

Trader

They did provide a beer list in advance, but my recollection is that it was something like a day or two before the party. Not really much of a fair chance to get your head around what would be pouring, especially with so many of the guest breweries being unfamiliar to this area.

That being said, there were some top notch beers in the crowd. Browsing briefly through my Untappd check-ins, the standouts I tried were Hidden Springs Maple Black Aggie, Bottle Logic Fundamental Observation, Equilibrium Sexual Fluctuation, Proof Coffee Vanilla Royal Bloodline, and Aslin Dreams. I didn't feel there was any shortage of excellent beers, and I'm not the sort of person who references everything I try (or really anything I try) with a fire emoji.

mikeydoesit likes this.
  12. RKP1967

But did they give away the sunglasses last year?

Anybody have an comparisons between the Aslin shindig and Snallygaster (which is unlimited pours this year)?

13. coquet

Trader

The Aslin event primarily features younger breweries and will likely be much more concentrated on the current "in" styles (e.g., NE IPAs, super boozy pastry stouts, fruited sours). Snally will probably cover a broader range of styles and a mix of breweries young and old. Depends on what you're long for. FWIW, these are the only two festivals I'm doing in 2019, so I snagged VIP for both.

14. mikeydoesit

mikeydoesit Initiate (31) Sep 25, 2016 Pennsylvania

Awesome, thanks!

15. TmaveTebow

TmaveTebow Initiate (57) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

Liking the 2 new taproom only releases: elucidation 1 IPA and liberosis 1 pale ale. Both exactly what I’m looking for - a hop saturated lower abv hazy with no shortage of aroma and flavor. My personal preference over a milky DIPA. Based on the description of elucidation they are experimenting with new processes. Whatever they did with both of these is spot on. Seem to have ditched the caramel/crystal malts. My opinion may be a little skewed because some of the beers I had on tap when Aslin first opened were a let down. Dunley place and Astro zombie were not up to snuff, but could be due to older hoarded kegs they stocked up on to prepare for the grand opening. I did have a neutrino that met my expectations, but these 2 new ones are where it’s at!!

16. RKP1967

That's funny. My hophead wife prefers the milky stuff.

beernuts likes this.
  17. joerooster

Were the 2 tap only releases brewed in Alexandria? Wondering how that’s coming along as they seem to have run through most of what was brewed before the taproom opened, surprised glamping is still pouring though.

Sage954 likes this.
  18. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

OK, glad it wasn't just me then. I think age is to blame.

19. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

I don’t think they have started brewing in the new spot yet. I heard a few weeks ago that orange starfish was going to be the first beer brewed with the new equipment. They acknowledged that there will be a learning curve with the new tanks. They are working hard to get going though.

20. PComninaki

PComninaki Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Virginia

My fave! Looking forward to a visit.

21. coquet

Trader

Maybe they meant Double Orange Starfish? Limits on today's release suggest both beers were brewed on the new system.

Since Alexandria opened, the limits on 4-packs have generally been two per person. Responding to the incessant, redundant Instagram questions about the low limits, the brewery has consistently noted they will raise limits once the new brewing equipment is pumping out finished beers. Limits for both of today's beers are four 4-pack per person. Sounds like we're about to see where they are in that learning curve.

22. joerooster

Double scampi was 4 per person and has not yet sold out so maybe that was brewed in Alexandria as well.

23. hoppytobehere

I would be shocked if they haven't started brewing on the new system yet. They've had the equipment there for 3 months or so.

24. coquet

Trader

They reportedly had some of a broiler issue that delayed the new equipment's use. I don't know if they've started using it or not, but I know they hadn't as of mid-July.

25. joerooster

Anyone know if the sound issue has been addressed? Thinking about making a trip if so.

26. RKP1967

Not as of last weekend.

One way to address the sound issue it to speak more quietly.

Sheppard likes this.
  27. Slack

Trader

Anniversary party beer list has been posted on Instagram

28. RKP1967

Seems like they haven't released a non-barrel aged stout in a while. Could this be why? Or is it just because it's summer?

29. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Yup. They've released stouts in the summer previously.

30. coquet

Trader

Unless Richard took the rights to the recipes with him when he left, I doubt that's the cause. A few other explanations strike me as more likely to be driving that.

For one, in early 2019, they announced they would only be releasing each stout once per year. They may be trying to space things out before they get their rotation going.

Another factor might be that several of the last few 15%ers they released weren't in the same league as the originals and didn't sell well (a result I suspect is tied to Richard's departure and Drew and Kai's first attempts to keep his magic alive). They might be taking a break on non-BA stouts in general because they felt burned by how long those sat at the brewery.

They've also had non-BA stouts on tap in Alexandria the whole time the taproom has been open. They might just be sending all the ones they're brewing to draft rather than cans to keep the taplist fully diversified.

And yeah, the whole "it's summer" thing may be a factor, though, as a guy who's primarily a stout drinker, that would strike me as a disappointing rationale if that's driving it.

31. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,357) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I doubt that the "it's summer" thing is a factor considering they had many of those 15%ers during the 95 degree dog days of summer.

32. coquet

Trader

To build on this, it seems like they emptied a lot of barrels in the months before they opened Alexandria. They may be dedicating all the base stout that's not going on draft to replenishing the barrel program. Gotta keep pulling in $30 per bottle at retail and $50+ in the taproom.
    Agreed, and I fully remember the two very hot hours I spent in line last August for Buku Mocha cans. While possible, both this and the "feeling burned" rationale strike me as long shots on further reflection. It's probably just a case of them relying heavily on the smaller production equipment in Herndon while waiting for the Alexandria brewing system to get running, with all the yield going to draft and barrels.

33. joerooster

They haven't released a non-BA stout since June 15th and they haven't added a new any imperial stouts to the draft list since they opened the tap room with Pisghetti and Glamping (maybe another as well).

I think this is mostly related to the departure of Richard and/or lack of a brewer who can make those beers well. Kai and Andrew don't brew anymore (see around 14 min mark).

mig100 likes this.
  34. DCRealAleGuru

DCRealAleGuru Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2016 District of Columbia

From my previous conversations with Richard, the barrel program was managed by Andrew, Kai, and Richard so I doubt it has anything to do with Richard. Unsure why Richard left, but it seems he left at the beginning of the year. Last I saw him was March. They have put out a lot of stouts since then. I know Andrew and Kai do 99% of the recipe development and by not brewing I think they mean not physically on the brew deck, which is how a lot of breweries in the same position work (i.e. Veil, Other Half, Trillium, etc.).

I asked Andrew why they haven't been putting and non-ba stouts out a few weeks ago in the tasting room and he said it was because they are waiting to brew the first stout on the new system and keep up with demand by producing IPA and other beers due to how fast they sell in the tasting room.

Sheppard likes this.
  35. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (88) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Made my way over to the taproom today I enjoyed their sours the best. Pisghetti was really good too. Wish they had some barrel aged stouts to go instead of their in house price but oh well

NewmansOwn and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  36. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (360) Jun 25, 2016 New York

I can't find any info about parking for the anniversary party. I'm driving down with a VIP ticket, anyone happen to know what parking is like/ how early to arrive?

37. joerooster

That makes no sense, they now have like 15 IPAs on tap, a few sours and 1 non-pastry stout. Are they are also waiting to brew the world class lagers? I'm guessing there is more to it than keeping up with the IPA demand, they brewed MoO 2x in like 2 weeks but no stouts in like 3 months.

I guess it's also possible they brewed some stouts for the anniversary party and have been saving them.

38. joerooster

I'd suggest getting an uber/taxi. The shuttles could work but I wouldn't put my faith in them to be timely and they still take you to your car which you may not want to drive after an all-you-can-drink event.

Lots of parking in the vicinity of Aslin but not sure if you can legally use those lots, I'd call the brewery or email them directly.

NewmansOwn and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  39. hoppytobehere

you're...driving?

40. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (360) Jun 25, 2016 New York

:sweat_smile: Wife offered to DD.

ArlVABeerGuy and hoppytobehere like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.