Aslin Beer Co. (2020)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by hoppytobehere, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

New year, new thread. I will try to keep OP updated with general, helpful information.

For (mostly) up-to-date information on can availability and what's on tap, check their website:
    https://www.aslinbeer.com/

They have 2 locations. One is in Herndon, VA and only offers to-go options (cans/bottles). And the other is their new taproom in Alexandria, VA that offers on-site consumption, and cans/bottles/growlers to-go.

Herndon:
    257 Sunset Park Dr, Herndon, VA 20170
    Mon-Fri 3pm-8pm, Sat 11am-8pm, Sun 11am-6pm

Alexandria:
    847 S Pickett St, Alexandria, VA, 22304
    Mon-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-8pm

For more information, check their latest Instagram posts:
    https://www.instagram.com/aslinbeerco

2. Slack

Slack Savant (942) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I won't be able to get over to Aslin until Sunday but would be interested in hearing if the latest iteration of DOS is any good.

3. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Just a friendly PSA to any New Yorkers planning to attend Aslin's 1/18 event at the Grand Delancey, Aslin is still trying to translate their formerly successful recipes to the larger production capacity of their new Alexandria brew system. As you will see from the late chatter in the 2019 Aslin thread, the results have beet hit or miss, with many more falling in the "miss" category. You may want to proceed with caution.

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Anyone have any insight on Aslin having their beers contract brewed for the NYC market and other markets? I have seen Recess (stillwater collab) on tap recently and afaik, they haven't brewed it in years, seemed odd to have it on tap years after the release.

5. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Well at this point you could tell the rest of us how it is.

6. hoppytobehere

I had Trite on tap at Franklin Hall this weekend and it was not that good. Followed it up with Prism from Triple Crossing (which is nearly the same ABV so I thought it would be a fair comparison) and Prism was much, much better.

7. joerooster

I'll take a guess:

it's thick, malty and sweet with a little hop bite on the back end. not the beer it was 3 years ago.

8. Slack

Trader

Well the derision is quite appropriate. My grand weekend plans were squashed by a cold.

9. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,355) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Aslin is releasing a triple decocted Vienna Lager. Let's see how this goes.

10. joerooster

They've released that beer before and other triple decocted (whatever that is) lager(s), untappd ratings seem good for the style.

Sheppard likes this.
  11. RKP1967

I'm sure it will be world class.

hoppytobehere and Sheppard like this.
  12. Sheppard

Trader

Good to know, looking forward to checking it out regardless.

13. Slack

Trader

I know @RKP1967 and @joerooster have been eagerly awaiting my thoughts :wink: but DOS was a bust on tap. It was the same as the previous OS iterations with lots of hop burn. Cocoa Mostra was good as was MoK.

14. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (96) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Going to be visiting this week by Herndon, and wondering what couple beers are the best bet. I have a lot of beer at home, so I'm not looking to go crazy, but I figured, given the complaints on this thread, Mostra 1-2 cans and double orange starfish four pack is simplest. Wish I could hit Alexandria and try before buying, but is what it is. Thanks for any info/input.

15. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

To compound on my post above, I would suggest this is an unfortunate time to try establishing your Aslin baseline. I live very close to their Alexandria taproom, but I've decided to stop going until the feedback I'm hearing from others improves, as they're charging their guinea pigs a pretty premium as they struggle to reclaim their former magic. From what I'm hearing, the hops are largely hit-or-miss--mostly miss--and my personal experience confirms the stouts just aren't the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they figure it out, but I'm staying on the sidelines until then.

16. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (44) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

Just checked out their to go options, some of the IPA’s are close to 2 months old. Time to lower prices or start distributing cans around the DMV.

17. joerooster

Also time to start selling single cans, at least at the Herndon location where you can't try anything. I'd think they would sell more beer that way as people would grab a couple extra beers to try, if they weren't forced to buy ~$20 4 packs.

Noticed growlers aren't really an option anymore (not that I really want a growler of anything) and I thought I read a review where the person said they were pouring from cans at the brewery for some beers....kinda lame if that's true.

Prince_Casual and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  18. hoppytobehere

Holy shit lol

19. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Same as it ever was IMO. When they're "On" beers like Master of Karate quite simply rock but there's way too many off/ weird/ sludgy/ hop tamale burn / too green cans, and at that price point, easy pass for me. I like Aslin more in theory than I do in execution, sadly, and the pricing is just too much (and I'm in Bruery RS). I am also not down with the really expensive mystery abv stouts with (more or less) unfermented cookie dough in them, and I think the amount of beers that have significant amounts of coffee added shows they really like/ need to hide behind these adjuncts/ non-fermentables instead of just doing normal Imperial Stouts with no or one add on. /blog

Like you said it's just too expensive to be their guinea pigs and its too inconvenient to go back (to either locations for me) and say "these can(s) weren't good." I've felt taken advantage of by them and refuse to believe they didn't "know" that xyz batch was "off" but sold it anyways. I hate to bring The Veil into it but every beer I've ever had from them was on point, Aslin, not so much.

I do have to say that when I was buying Aslin regularly because I had some work stuff going on near Dulles, less than 2 weeks old the IPAs were way too green to enjoy, they're refrigerated on their site (I assume) so I don't think you'd be running into any problems drinking cans that were 30-60 days after packaging. Some of the doubles I thought were going INTO their prime 30 days in, IME.

20. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

F
    Funny you bring this up but the Wine Source in Baltimore announced 4 cans for this Friday- MOK, Neutrino, BDINAC, Trite- and correct me if I'm wrong but the last two would be a few months old at this point? They're probably new batches but you never know.

Not sure if this is a one time deal or will be more regular like the Other Half drops in Gaithersburg and Baltimore.

21. Sheppard

Trader

I don't see Trite listed on the website for sale in VA, but the current batch of BDINAC offered has a 12/12 date. Will be interested to see if the dates match. I've seen kegs of Trite littered through out NRG bars (Rustico, Partisan).

Topease likes this.
  22. joerooster

Did they start dating the cans? I didn't think they did but it's been 2-3 months since I bought anything from them.

From what I can tell, the last time they released Trite was on 9/7 so either those kegs/cans are 4 months old or they brewed a batch that was not sold out of the brewery. Also, they are supposed to have Pew Pew cans at the NYC event this weekend so unless it's releasing/canning this week, those are some really old cans (August). Not sure why they would be brewing extra beer for those events when they have almost 30 to go options at both locations.

#23 joerooster, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  23. Sheppard

Trader

I haven't bought Aslin cans in forever, so I haven't looked at dates. I was just looking at website dates.

24. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Hahah I left that out of my analysis too- no can dates is laughable at that price point.

hoppytobehere and Sheppard like this.
  25. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

I don't think they've dated cans for quite some time. Probably 2018 or earlier.

Sheppard likes this.
  26. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

$35 stout coming this weekend...

joerooster and dirtylou like this.
  27. joerooster

Gotta keep up with inflation, $30/bottles aren't going to pay the bills in 2020.

Topease likes this.
  28. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Have to make up for all those IPA sales slowing down.

29. xKURTx

xKURTx Initiate (19) Jun 3, 2019 Nebraska

So I'll be spending a few days in DC for work a couple weeks from now, and I'd been planning to head down to Alexandria to check out Aslin. Do you all think it's still worth it? Any specific things to avoid or definitely check out if I go? If I don't go to Aslin, any other recommendations for places that are relatively easy to access via public transport? I've probably got 2 nights I could head out and explore, I'll be myself and can take or leave food, and I'll have a checked bag, so I'm up for bringing stuff back home - if any of that makes a difference.
    Thanks!

Sheppard likes this.
  30. Sheppard

Trader

I can't speak on Aslin but the place everyone will recommend is Churchkey. Right Proper has a brewery in Shaw and a production facility in Brookland and they do a lot of funky beers. Bluejacket is owned by the same group as Churchkey and do a lot of hoppy beers (amongst some other things) and is in an old Navy building.

Are you staying in DC proper?

Beers-es, xKURTx and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  31. RKP1967

Just a heads up that Aslin is not in downtown Alexandria.

Sheppard, xKURTx and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  32. joerooster

Aslin is worth the trip if you like the styles of beer they make (NEIPAs, adjunct/additive heavy stouts and sours), I'd just recommend trying stuff before you buy cans as they have been a little inconsistent for a while now. Personally, I prefer Port City (also in Alexandria) these days as they make 'cleaner' beers in a wider variety of styles. Rustico is a good beer bar/restaurant in Alexandria so if you head that way, I'd recommend going there to eat and drink unless you are only looking to drink local stuff.

Haven't been overly impressed with beers from DC breweries but haven't had too much outside of DC Brau and 3 Stars, both are pretty average.

Sheppard and xKURTx like this.
  33. xKURTx

Yeah, the conference/hotel I'm at is right by the Zoo and a couple minute walk to the Woodley Park metro station, so I'm hoping to find stuff that's either walkable or short Uber from the train. I checked out Churchkey's beer menu and holy hell do they have some awesome stuff.

Thanks! This is good info. It sounds like if I do decide to take a trip to Arlington there are other options if Aslin is a bit of a bust.

34. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

I think you are better served to visit as many NRG restaurants in the area. You'll get a wide range of exposure to local and non local beer, then if something stands out, you can go visit.

For instance, Churchkey has Aslin and bluejacket on now (plus way more quality non-locals as you mention)

The Partisan has Aslin on, The Soverign has Pen Druid (localish) and Crooked Run.

Other bars are Smoke & Barrel, they have tons of local (Port City, Ocelot, Fair Winds, DC Brau, Crooked run) and Roofers Union which seem to focus on local as well (3 stars, dc brau, union, port city, atlas, rar, ocelot, aslin, right proper, denizens). Both are in adams morgan which isn't far from woodley, walkable if it wasn't so damn cold.

Unrealted, Dukes Counter (they have other establishments too) in Woodley will get you the best burger in the city.

xKURTx and joerooster like this.
  35. hoppytobehere

Aslin is in Alexandria, not Arlington. And even so, it's nowhere near the city center of Alexandria where there might be other options.

Tbh it will be quite a trek from Woodley Park if you do not have a car. Public transit would take over an hour and involve a long walk from the station. Uber would be expensive and you could run into traffic.

But it's up to you if it's worth it. Personally, if I were visiting there's no way in hell I would waste half a day in DC on a trip to Aslin at this point. Just get a buzz at Churchkey then wander into a Smithsonian. Better way to spend an afternoon.

ArlVABeerGuy, dirtylou and xKURTx like this.
  36. xKURTx

Awesome. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

Sorry - scrambled the A names and mistyped. I figured I'd take the train to Alexandria and a quick Uber/long walk to the brewery, but you all have me reconsidering. I'm heading out for work and will be by myself, so any time outside of my hotel is welcome, even if spent on the train.

For the last couple years I'd been under the impression Aslin was a destination brewery, but it seems those days may have passed, so I'm thankful for everyone here helping me out and providing lots of alternatives. If you all are ever in Nebraska, give me a shout!

Sheppard and Beers-es like this.
  37. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

If you've never been, sure it's worth a trip (if you have a lot of time to spare).
    Personally, I'm with the rest of the group - go to Churchkey or other NRG spots. Probably better ambiance and better selection. I've only been to the Alexandria Aslin location for their anniversary party, but I've spent a lot of time in that area of Alexandria. There's really nothing else around it, so you're kind of on an island if you do go.
    If you're picking up cans to bring home, then maybe it's worth a trip? I'm sure the group can advise better on that for the Woodley Park area. My go-to places are pretty far (Dominion Wine/Beer, Downtown Crown).

ArlVABeerGuy and Beers-es like this.
  38. ArlVABeerGuy

ArlVABeerGuy Disciple (365) Feb 23, 2012 Virginia
    Society Trader

If you’re headed to Arlington, The Brew Shop at the Courthouse metro stop and Rustico at the Ballston metro stop (both on the Orange line) are a great bottle shop and bar/restaurant, respectively.

VABA likes this.
  39. Sheppard

Trader

The Brew Shop does crowlers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.