Aslin Beer Co. (2020)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by hoppytobehere, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

ya gotta sip the V I B E Z, man

Sheppard and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  2. beerman2017

beerman2017 Initiate (93) Aug 18, 2017 Virginia
    Trader

Anyone get the 5th Anniversary bottles of Patch Cut or Bull of the Woods?

3. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I snagged the full allotment. My wife must never know how much that cost.

4. beerman2017

Trader

Haha, congrats! I just wanted the two, but a work call ran over. :slight_frown:

5. Slack

Slack Savant (943) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

It sounds like the release had issues from Aslin's post on instagram and a lot of folks missed out.

6. beerman2017

Trader

Sounds like another unmitigated disaster in a long line of unmitigated disasters

dirtylou likes this.
  7. Slack

Trader

Yeah...Aslin online releases are definitely not the benchmark to measure by. The in person releases were a bit better...still waiting in line but they at least handled out tickets and opened the tap room so you can essentially try before you buy.

8. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (11) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

Any updates on the Herndon tap room? I haven't driven by there in like 6 months but I assume they must have made some progress in that time. Maybe it will be the home of their cider and wine projects.

9. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Not sure about the taproom itself, probably a ways to go, but they did open up an outdoor beer garden at the site a few months ago. Open Thurs - Sun. I believe they are just serving cans of whatever they have available. https://www.aslinbeer.com/herndon-beer-garden-info

10. bkbergen

bkbergen Initiate (154) Jan 5, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What size are the anniversary beers? Looks like a 500 ml bottle. It not sure.

11. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

They are all 500ml

12. Hurl4bru

Hurl4bru Initiate (85) Mar 9, 2019 Massachusetts

Aslin still pretty good? Worth revisiting?

13. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I had Orange Starfish recently for the first time in a long while and it was outstanding.

Slack likes this.
  14. joerooster2

Haven't had many of their beers too recently but that's because they were not very good/worth the price. That said, if I were you, I wouldn't go out of my way for them or have them shipped to me but if you have easy access then try a couple (OS and DOS are their best IMO, not an imp. stout drinker).

Slack likes this.
  15. coquet

coquet Initiate (93) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

tl;dr version: You can probably guess the answer based on the dearth of enthusiastic, positive responses to your question.

Longer version: It really depends on what you're going for.

If you're going for hops, I would suggest checking recent reviews of the beer(s) you're interested in before taking the plunge. Aslin is having a lot of problems with IPA consistency, even between batches of the same beer. The average rating on a beer, or opinions on the most recent prior batch of that beer, may not be reflective of the current batch, even if it's one of their original beers and one that's in their regular rotation. It pains me to say this as a guy who started making the long drive to Herndon when Aslin was just a few months old specifically for their IPAs, but they've clearly lost some of that shine. To be transparent, I offer this advice based on reviews and feedback from others (lots of others), because I stopped gambling on Aslin hops around the time they started releasing beers brewed on their larger Alexandria brewing system. The inconsistency problems predate that, but that's about the time they snowballed.

If you're going for non-barrel-aged stouts, they've been toying with the recipe that serves as the base for most of their double-digit adjunct stouts. Several batches over the last five months have been excessively sweet and very boozy. The original recipe drew a fair number of complains over sweetness, but the recent iterations very noticeably kicked it up a notch. My preference is decidedly in favor of the original recipe.

If you're going for the barrel-aged stouts, those are still excellent, but be prepared to open up the pocket book. To-go bottles, which are pre-sold through their website weeks in advance, retail for ultra-premium prices, and the bottles they set aside for on-site consumption (if they're even doing on-site with BA bottles at this point) sell at secondary pricing. Some of the most high-demand bottles have gone for $100+ on-site.

16. Hurl4bru

Hurl4bru Initiate (85) Mar 9, 2019 Massachusetts

Thanks all. On the fence about "bothering" to swing by. May have to bring some Trillium or Tree House w/ me instead. Schucks.

17. Slack

Trader

If it is any consolation, they did start doing tap pours again so you can "try before you buy"

18. Topease

Topease Initiate (72) Nov 18, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

I thought the most recent batch of Juan was terrible, way too sweet. Doesn't give me much hope for Belly Shirts (favorite Aslin stout).

19. joerooster2

They posted on IG saying they will be opening the Herndon brew pub before the New Year.

Sheppard likes this.
  20. beerman2017

Trader

Did anyone buy the $80 bottle pairs today?

ArlVABeerGuy and Sheppard like this.
  21. joerooster2

I'm guessing not as many people as they were hoping, looks like they may still be available. Cool (??) concept but how many people actually want a shoe box, shoe laces and a shoe horn with the beer? Also, $80 plus tax and tip, so pushing $100 per set.

22. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (289) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Since when did tips on carryout beer become the norm? At that price, the tip is in the base price.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  23. joerooster2

I don't tip on carryout (beer or food) but if you've ever ordered from their site, (unless they've made changes) they prompt for tips on each item you add to your cart and ask you again to tip when you go to your cart. My guess is that many people leave some sort of tip after being guilted into it.

24. beerman2017

Trader

I'll throw a few bucks for the guys/gals that have to hustle the packages together and deal with the ever present issue of COVID. I wouldn't tip 20% on an $80 package though.
    No interest in the packaging and "extras" for this latest money grab - even the guy I trade with said it was too rich for his blood...lol

25. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Initiate (170) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Do they use Square? That software always defaults to 20%. Happens at the bottle shops that use them as well, unless they are able to change the settings(?).

26. joerooster2

Idk, it's the website, not the POS system at the brewery. There is no default but they prompt you to tip multiple times when you order online.

27. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Herndon location opened today....
    Please feel free to bring outside food in Herndon, we’re looking forward to having food trucks on location very soon. During COVID measures, the taproom is 21+ only. Dogs are welcome in the adjacent Beer Garden (open tomorrow weather permitting). We ask that you wear a mask except when seated, & respect 6 ft of distance. Park in the gravel lot on the corner of Center & Locust St., the parking directly behind the Taproom does not belong to us & DOES tow cars! Check our stories for a map of parking.
    Our hours in the Herndon Taproom will be the same as ALX:
    M-Th: 11-8 pm
    Fri-Sat: 11-9 pm
    Sun: 11-6 pm
    Curbside pickup in Herndon will remain at the drive thru spot from Elden to Locust. Please enter from the Elden St entrance.
    We’ve waited almost 4 long years to share a Herndon taproom with you and we couldn’t be more excited and proud! Thank you all SO MUCH for your patience and support over the years and we hope you love it as much as we do! We’ll see ya there!"

28. joerooster2

Kinda of surprised the town allowed them to build that hideous blue building in the historic downtown area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.