Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Slack

Slack Crusader (707) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Thought Hazy w/ passion fruit was awesome but I have liked everyone of their sours I have been able to try.

2. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (680) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Hazy Orange w/passionfruit is outstanding funky juice.

Unicorn Vomit was interesting. I could taste a lot of authentic watermelon flavor.

3. beerMeh

beerMeh Initiate (59) Jan 26, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

This round preferred OS > BSB > MoO. Hazy was super tasty. Hoping MoO gets better sitting a couple more days.

4. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (747) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hoping last beer to be announced for Thursday is Stellar Parallax

5. coquet

coquet Initiate (70) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I saw a post in a Facebook group indicating Aslin doesn't plan to release the anniversary party tap list before the event. Can anyone confirm that? If accurate, that's sort of a bummer, as it impedes the ability to plan and prioritize.

In the same Facebook group, I also saw that Dancing Gnome announced on social media that they're bringing Pounce and B12 (Better 1 or 2?). If Aslin won't release a tap list in advance, maybe we can get an unofficial one going here. Just a suggestion.

b-mc-g likes this.
  6. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Aspirant (214) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Yea I saw Aslin respond twice in the facebook event that they weren't releasing it. I agree, huge bummer. Especially for people who want to know/plan what they're trying. That's usually the fun of a beer festival.

7. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (397) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Did they give any reasoning for not releasing the tap list? I think people's first assumption is that "it must suck", but I guess they could be trying to provide the guest breweries with flexibility.

8. b-mc-g

Beer Trader

Not that I saw, but you're right they may very well be working it out down to the last minute. Good news is that a number of the breweries coming would have to make an effort to tap a beer that's not awesome. Curious and pumped to see what Aslin taps themselves. Some of these barrel-aged beers would be cool.

9. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (63) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Nope, it's the cotton candy beer they have been hinting at. They didn't disclose the hops, at 9.4% I wonder if it's a Johann/MTH base as all the Johanns/MTH have been 9.4%.

10. hoppytobehere

Subscriber Beer Trader

Sounds disgusting

Dirtyhands likes this.
  11. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (397) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing that beer is going to have a very thin body from the pure sugar fermentation. People who try it
    I think in theory it sounds good as far as flavored IPAs go, but it also sounds risky to throw a bunch of pure sugar into a fermentation tank. I'm guessing the body will be pretty thin on this one, and maybe a little boozy as well.

12. LanguedocRocks

LanguedocRocks Aspirant (225) Aug 21, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

It's made with cotton candy grapes, not actual cotton candy. Have no clue how the grapes taste though. Could be interesting.

Edit: Oops, guess they did throw cotton cansy sugar in as well. I thought they were just going to use the grapes.

13. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (79) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Yeah, and the grapes themselves legitimately taste just like cotton candy.

14. coquet

Beer Trader

Anyone know what the parking situation is going to be like for Saturday's anniversary party?

15. i_run_far

Beer Trader

There is a plenty of free parking (on street and lot) in that area, you may have to walk but probably not further than maybe 1/4 mile.

Sip404 likes this.
  16. thomas2357

thomas2357 Aspirant (247) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What are some of the out of market breweries that are must visits? Finback, Kane, Carton and Sand City are a few on my list. A lot of names, I'm not familiar with.
    Avery Brewing
    Southern Grist Brewing
    Right Proper Brewing Company
    DC Brau Brewing Company
    Finback Brewery
    Kane Brewing Company
    Magnify Brewing Company
    Charles Towne Fermentory
    The Courtyard Brewery
    Burgeon Beer Company
    Graft Cidery
    Slim Pickens Cider & Mead
    Pure Project Brewing
    Equilibrium Brewery
    Horus Aged Ales
    Modern Times Beer
    Civil Society Brewing
    The Virginia Beer Company
    Brothers Craft Brewing
    Perennial Artisan Ales
    Triple Crossing Brewing Company
    Ocelot Brewing Co.
    Solace Brewing Company
    The Answer Brewpub
    3 Stars Brewing Company
    Blue Jacket
    Burial Beer Co.
    Stillwater Artisanal
    Barreled Souls Brewing Company
    Heist Brewery
    Ardent Craft Ales
    Carton Brewing Company
    Great Notion Brewing
    Bullfrog Brewery
    Sole Artisan Ales
    Pen Druid Brewing
    Foam Brewers
    Casa Agria Specialty Ales
    Casita Versus
    Cold Creek Brewery
    Sand City Brewing Co.
    Singlecut Beersmiths
    Dancing Gnome Brewery
    J. Wakefield
    RAR

17. headbangingteacher

headbangingteacher Initiate (175) Apr 27, 2015 Maryland

From my experiences, I would not sleep on any of the bolded above. I've heard good things about some of the others, but I have actually had great beers from the ones I've indicated.

thomas2357 likes this.
  18. scottDC

scottDC Disciple (327) Jul 3, 2013 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Don't sleep on Foam, they're probably the most hyped brewery in Vermont right now. People line up for $18 4pks in a place where you can get Heady for $13, it's either a sign of high quality or the collective mass delusion that the craft beer community is currently afflicted with. Both, probably.

19. Zachharpe

Zachharpe Initiate (148) Jan 27, 2015 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

As a homer (Charleston, SC local) I gotta say go try Charles Towne Fermentory. Been open for 8ish months and blow the other local IPA's away by a long shot. The brewer/owner has a background with Trillium and Tired Hands and you can certainly tell it in his beers.

MyThoughtsExactly and thomas2357 like this.
  20. b-mc-g

Beer Trader

I'd second what the above have mentioned although can't speak to every single one, Charles Town in particular, but I've heard very good things.

The ones others didn't cover that I'd give full support on are Equilibrium and Sand City, both pretty damn good breweries. Also Great Notion is supposed to be superb but again can't speak from experience. A draft list would help narrow this down but oh well.

21. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (210) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Pen Druid, Magnify and Great Notion are a must. Interested to hear what GN brings.

thomas2357 likes this.
  22. thomas2357

thomas2357 Aspirant (247) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I like the sounds of Foam!

b-mc-g likes this.
  23. i_run_far

Beer Trader

Anyone try the Anniversary DIPA?

24. mjenkins5

mjenkins5 Aspirant (256) Feb 1, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Any idea if cans will be available during the anniversary party?

25. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (255) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Am I missing something? What does that post with the list of breweries (randomly ranging from completely forgettable to very good, but obviously only a small percentage of American breweries and missing tons of (most?) great breweries) have to do with Aslin Beer Co. releases? Are they doing pours from those breweries at their anniversary party or something? I'm bewildered and confused.

26. coquet

Beer Trader

Yes.

Spata and b-mc-g like this.
  27. b-mc-g

Beer Trader

Uber/Lyft codes posted on their page in case anyone missed them. Nice move by Aslin.

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  28. b-mc-g

Beer Trader

They haven't explicitly said no, but they did say that their original location (where can sales are done) won't be open tomorrow and sales will resume Sunday. So I'd say it's a safe bet that there won't be.

29. i_run_far

Beer Trader

Call and ask, they open at 3 but I'd wait until the initial rush dies down and call around 4:30-5. The only reason I don't think they would is because they'd have to transport all the cans over there and keep them cold.

30. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Disciple (347) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Not able to sell cans at the party. Probably an abc regulation. I'm sure they would if they were able to.

31. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (255) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Sounds likely. I've been to special events at Veil where they couldn't sell cans.

32. hoppytobehere

Subscriber Beer Trader

This batch of DDH Dunley Place is great. One of their best beers and no hype.

Beers-es likes this.
  33. Sip404

Sip404 Initiate (154) Feb 27, 2017 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Depends on what they bring. They have some awesome DIPAs and their sour program is very impressive but I'm not too hot on a lot of the stuff they tend to send to events like this ie all the 90s band named beers.

I think the reason why most people are miffed about the tap list is because it all depends on what these breweries are pouring. I've been to RAR and hope they didn't just bring Stunt Cock or Pulp, etc. as much as I like Pulp.

34. Beers-es

Beers-es Defender (673) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yes, they are doing pours at the party.

35. JamLand

JamLand Crusader (723) May 7, 2013 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

For those who went to VIP yesterday, the J Wakefield beer was Cuvee de Wakefield, not Miami Madness.

36. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (680) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I was working, anyone got any deets about the party? How were the guest drafts?

37. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (121) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland
    Beer Trader

We got there at 1:30. Some of the guest taps were done by then. There were still a lot of options and a lot of beer. Both of the Heist beers were great. Citraquench and a maple stout. Casa Agria had two really good saisons that tasted like sours to me. Dancing Gnome had two great IPAs. There were so many beers I didn't get to all of them, but those were my favorites.
    Aslin did a great job. They were pouring a lot of their heavy hitters. A great day.
    Thank you Aslin

b-mc-g, Dirtyhands and ArlVABeerGuy like this.
  38. Beers-es

Beers-es Defender (673) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Didn't make the party, but this batch of DDH Dunley Place is straight...

b-mc-g and Dirtyhands like this.
  39. hoppytobehere

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah dunley is the winner of this week's releases. Contempt is nice. Almost reminds me of a Half Acre IPA.

This is my first time having Small Town in Ontario since early 2016 when it was juicy AF. This batch isn't like that but it's very good.

Dirtyhands likes this.
  40. b-mc-g

Beer Trader

Agreed, really fun event. Particularly because they did not oversell it, so it was very comfortable and fun. The tasting glasses certainly were not six ounce pours and check in was rather muddled, but regardless an excellent time with excellent beers.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.