Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Wow, 20 people -- you can get half that at the bar.

2. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Fwiw, Neutrino bottle was great, so I'm not shitting on Aslin as a whole. My bottle of MoK was simply no bueno. I've had this beer several times and I know what it's supposed to taste like.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  3. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (148) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Todays line was frustrating. I really expected that preorders would already be prepackaged somewhere waiting to be picked up. Or atleast that they'd go through the line of preorders before letting in the other people to purchase the extra bottles.

As annoying as it was to have to wait two hours for something already purchased, Im not as down on Aslin as some are. This was their first real foray into this and they came out of the gate a bit ambitious going with 6 different bottles to start with. It DOES seem to me like they were TRYING to listen to feedback and make this work for as many as possible. When people complained about the fees on eventbrite they tried to eliminate that issue and move it elsewhere. When people complained about the online sales they tried to set some others aside for those who missed out.

Could it have been better? Sure. Hopefully its just a learning experience for them and they figure out a way to improve on it in the future.

Beers-es likes this.
  4. Gumbo_gravy

Gumbo_gravy Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 District of Columbia

I was out there at 2:30 pm to pick up my preorder bottles. I was able to grab a pour of DOS while waiting in line inside. Beer was outta control. No complaints. Grabbed bottles a glass and was back to my car around 3:45. There were def more than 20 people inside the brewery the entire time I was there. Are they really going to be limited to 20 ppl inside at a time?

5. bdswan

bdswan Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2008 North Carolina

Made it out to the brewery for the first time today. Didn't see any signs indicating why there were two lines, but the customer at the end of the walk-up line directed me to the pre-order line. At some point a third line emerged, without any explanation from the staff that was audible to the people waiting in line around me.

Spent 3-4pm in the pre-order line and gave up since only ~half the people in front of me had made it inside by then. At that point the doorman was letting waves people into the brewery every ~5-10 min that included several people from the other two lines, but only 2-3 people from the pre-order line. This uneven entry policy allowed the aforementioned customer from the walk-up line to make it inside the brewery while I was still ~15 spots back in the pre-order line (which would have probably translated to another 45-60 min of waiting).

If Aslin wants to serve draft during a release like this then they should really consider completely decoupling bar service from bottle pickup. Wicked Weed releases at the Funkatorium are a solid model for this type of service. There's a single line for pre-order and walk-up customers that feeds to a few staff (or volunteers!) who are dedicated to continuously processing bottle orders but NOT draft orders. A separate line serves people who want to enter to order draft. The limited capacity of the building still creates an unavoidable bottleneck for those who want draft, but at least bottle orders are continuously processed in a timely manner.

I heard this too. This has to be the worst customer service I've seen yet at a brewery. The appropriate response would have been "We're sorry for the wait. We appreciate your patience and we'll get you in as soon as possible." Instead, we got "you don't need to be here". I actually agree with him, and I doubt I'll be returning once I've finally managed to get my bottles.

6. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

The max occupancy has to do with the size of the facility, number and size of exits, as well as the type of facility. Possibly they can have more people when the garage door is open??

7. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Even if the brewery was larger this wouldn't work. Having partial boxes of beer takes up a lot of space. Line would of moved faster if they sold them as a set and you couldnt pick and choose what you wanted when you bought the tickets. Maybe they could of prepackaged them if they did it that way. Sounds like releasing the extras on the first day was the problem. Should of waited until after the pick up deadline.

8. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

All of that. And also as the guy I was talking to in line said, why offer 6 brews? Should have used the capacity to brew twice as much say: small town, MOK, DOS. Offer a 6 bottle package, presell half of them, then sell the other half the next day, or next week. There was WAY too much going on: glass sales, T-shirt sales, guys using cash to buy extras (first brewery I've ever seen with a cash till). There should have been not cash or cards trading hands anywhere near the pickup line.

Also I swear the limit being more than one person can carry let trip to the car, slowed things down. 1 cs limits if its not trays of cans.

9. beershack1

beershack1 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2013 Maryland

No drinking in the tap room for the time being

Aslin Beer Company
    15 mins ·
    We would like to thank everyone of you for your support over the past week and especially yesterday!

Unfortunately last night we ran into a hick-up/discrepancies between two regulatory authroities. We are working diligently to resolve the issue, but we will be amending our business model for the short time period. Until further notice we will be operating the tasting room as a to-go only bar. This means that we will be doing growler fills only moving forward, aside from bottle releases. For right now, we will allocate a certain amount of beer for each day. We will close for the day once all the allocated beer is sold out. Each day we will post what is avaialable for take out. With this allocation we hope to keep the doors open Thursday through Sunday for take-outs. This change is only temporary and should not be in place long term, however at this time we do not have a timeframe of how long until we revert back to our previous business model. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to continue to receive your support moving forward. Below are the details for today’s release.

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23 Release:

We will be releasing 1 keg of the following beers with prices. Limits are 128oz per person and 64oz per beer. When sold out we will be closed for the day. We have limited growlers for sale ($5) so please bring your own if possible. We also have our new limited run glasses, t-shirts, & hoodies for sale. We will be serving/allowing in apporximately 20 people at a time in the brewery. WE WILL NOT FILL THIN LONG NECK GROWLERS!!

Pre-sale bottle purchases can pick up bottles anytime between 3pm and 10pm.

•Laser Raptors: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •A Small Town In Ontario: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •The Grapeness: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •Berliner w/ Peach & Cinnamon: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •Bringing Sexy Back: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •Cocoa Mapalm: 32oz -$12, 64oz - $24
    •Fair Weather Friend: 32oz - 12, 64oz - 24
    •Stellar Parallax: 32oz - 12, 64oz - 24

10. i_run_far

Deactivated

Sounds like it'll be another shit show at 3pm, which is the only time I have available to get my bottles. If the bottle sales slowed the line down last night, growlers fills will be 10x worse.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  11. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

Demand so high forced to go full on Tree House for the time being.

12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Holy shit at all of this.

Dirtyhands and Prince_Casual like this.
  13. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

I love Aslin, but suddenly that widget error isn't looking so bad.

Dirtyhands likes this.
  14. duceswild

duceswild Meyvn (1,126) Feb 8, 2010 Heard & McDonald Islands
    Trader

Today must have been the right day for pickup. Was in and out within 2 minutes. Nice of them to start doing pickups before 3.

15. ericdavidmorris

ericdavidmorris Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 California

1. No additional bottles drawing 100+ people who stuck around

2. No tap room sales/pours

Glad it was much easier for you. It was a mistake of them to release additional beers after an online sale.

16. Jnashed

Jnashed Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

well maybe there will less growler fills than crowler and bottle sales as peeps have a slightly harder time (not impossible ) conducting trades with growlers.

Jelavelle likes this.
  17. Jelavelle

Jelavelle Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2014 Delaware

Leaving from Delaware to head down. Hopefully they'll have some stuff left to fill when I get there tonight.

18. YourBoy

YourBoy Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2011 Maryland

They fucked themselves by not allowing mug club to pick up early and release extra bottles the same day. They no longer need to build the hype. Don't have everyone show up at the same exact time.

Mug club wed.
    Prevsale thurs
    Extras Fri.

ashellen and Spata like this.
  19. YourBoy

YourBoy Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2011 Maryland

And as others said the fact they moved the walk up line through over folks that already paid chapped my ass.

Sell beer on non taproom days. All hands in deck to facilitate orders. Still frustrates me how new companies don't have the foresight to bring in people who have gone through this before. Sub contract a dude from trillium or something for a month. Everyone doesn't need to make the same mistakes.

ashellen and makalarch like this.
  20. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (44) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

I thought it went well today, minimal wait and got to get some growlers too. Only slight issue I had is when I went to get my bottles they said I already picked them up cause my name was crossed off, pretty much a non issue as they believed me when I told them I didn't pick them up. They need some kind of electronic system to scan tickets as they come in,pen and paper cross off system may cause more human errors. Common name too could be an issue....

21. bdswan

Did anyone else get inconsistent bottle fill levels?

[​IMG]

22. i_run_far

Deactivated

Mine are like the one in the middle except for the Mapalm I got, which is filled to the little lip on the top of the bottle.

I thought today went well, they could definitely fix/improve a few things and I'm sure they will as they have been pretty good about listening to customer complaints/suggestions.

23. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've been to every hyped brewery from Virginia to Vermont outside of Maine and they all just suck until they establish expectations but every single one of them are hyper local with outputs that are not in meeting with the demand of the trading scene right now. But yes you could look at others who have paved the way and adjust per your circumstances. It is what it is right now.

24. jfclark

jfclark Initiate (0) May 2, 2012 New York

Anyone try any of the bottles yet? Had a neutrino yesterday which was super hazy though still fairly green.

25. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

A day late on the but figured I would pass this post along from Aslin's page since no one has yet...

Unfortunately last night (Thursday) we ran into a hick-up/discrepancies between two regulatory authorities. We are working diligently to resolve the issue, but we will be amending our business model for the short time period. Until further notice we will be operating the tasting room as a to-go only bar. This means that we will be doing growler fills only moving forward, aside from bottle releases. For right now, we will allocate a certain amount of beer for each day. We will close for the day once all the allocated beer is sold out. Each day we will post what is available for take out. With this allocation we hope to keep the doors open Thursday through Sunday for take-outs. This change is only temporary and should not be in place long term, however at this time we do not have a time frame of how long until we revert back to our previous business model. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to continue to receive your support moving forward. .....

Happy Holidays!
    Aslin Beer Co. Team

26. GeuzeInTheHouse

GeuzeInTheHouse Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2016 District of Columbia

I was in line when this was said. I agree it wasn't the best response but it was definitely not "You don't have to be here." To provide context it was one person complaining that he bought pre ticket sales and the guy said something along the lines of "The pre ticket sales did not guarantee lines, we gave a two day window for you to pick up. If you don't want to wait in line, you don't have to be here. Come back later tonight or tomorrow."

As far as pre sale tickets, I agree they did not say that there would be no line, the point was to give the most availability to the most people and they did.

In my mind, this week Aslin pulled out all the stops, they did pre sale because everyone said they didn't like lines. They removed fees because people were arguing about fees. They put out extra bottles because people complained about pre sales. Yes, some of this was made on the fly, but they did this for US.

As it relates to other breweries, when Trillium & Treehouse started, they didn't have in house pours and Aslin does. I agree there has to be a solution but getting perspective from other breweries may not be the answer. I have faith they will figure it out and will continue to have world-class customer service that goes along with their world-class beers.

It's the holiday season, take a break from complaining about the minutiae and look at the bigger picture. Happy Holidays!

duceswild, illeagle05 and Cpmitchno1 like this.
  27. Jelavelle

Jelavelle Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2014 Delaware

Made it out to the brewery to pick up my bottles, I got there and no one was there. Only things left on tap were Cocoa Mapalm and the sour saison. I understand they can't give samples but I didn't want to pay $25 for a growler fill of a beer that I've never had before. Granted it was my first time there and I haven't had any of their beers but the prices were more reasonable for the bottles. Hope to get into one of them tonight. They said they'll be selling off whatever was left from people not picking up their bottles.

28. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

The fact that you used it to refer to Aslin's beer and their customer service is proof that the expression "world class"
    Is essentially meaningless on this site. Its basically a synonym for "good" at this point. What, in general, makes world class customer service in your eyes?

I don't understand that, why can't they give samples? I've had both of those beers and honestly I think they both suck, so I guess I'm not surprised that they don't let people sample them.

29. bdswan

Sure, there was certainly no guarantee against lines for pre-sale ticket buys. It’s the management of the line that was the problem. You’re welcome to disagree, but I (and I’m sure many others) think that it’s reasonable to expect that:
    • A pre-order system should facilitate pickup throughout the designated pickup window that’s far more efficient than what was achieved on Thursday.
    • Someone lining up for walk-up bottles should not be prioritized well above someone lining up at the same time for pre-order pickup.
    At the same time, I completely understand that there’s a learning curve to planning releases like this. You’re right that Aslin busted their ass to respond to customer complaints, and for that reason I’m sure that the next release will be much smoother. Concerted attention to the many small logistical decisions that go into planning an event like this (aka “minutiae”) is what drives improvement in the process.

As far as bottle fill levels go, it’s in the brewery’s best interest to make sure that they are filling to accurate levels to comply with federal regulations. The last time I checked, the TTB allowed for +/- 2% error on bottles this size, which translates to ~1 tablespoon. Noncompliance can impede the brewery’s ability to sell you their beer, which is not a result that anybody wants :slight_smile:

pmarlowe likes this.
  30. GeuzeInTheHouse

GeuzeInTheHouse Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2016 District of Columbia

Agree with the above.

For bottle fills mine were fine, and I'm sure if you contact them they will handle accordingly.

31. Prince_Casual

Trader

They do "try" but its not a sophisticated enough operation to even be "good" service, much less WC, IME. Humongous line every time, not particularly efficient line management. I had leaky crowlers not really addressed. I've posted in this thread a couple times, but I'm trying to become less invested in Aslin going forward.

Their beer is pretty good/unique to shelf VA stuff, but not worth so much time standing around in a strip mall in Herndon. I spent 30mins on tuesday, almost 2 hrs Thursday, $140, and got 9 750s and 3 500ml beers. Thats without the Eventbrite fees, which wouldnt have even alleviated the current complaintsat all, funnily enough. I'm planning to drink not trade, at this stage this is not worth it for me.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  32. dukieox

dukieox Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 Virginia

My fill level in my bottles is all really different (similar to that photo posted earlier). They had a Facebook photo showing a bottle tree so I guess they are hand filling each bottle which would explain this variation. That's pretty crazy for thousands of bottles.

duceswild likes this.
  33. Prince_Casual

Trader

We didn't discuss the shitshow that was on display Thursday afternoon in this thread either. This is actually the most promising news for Aslin in a while: mitigating the wait time by having more than one guy with an iPad taking on the tremendous line(s).

Lame for "mug club" members though, for sure.

ElijahSF likes this.
  34. i_run_far

Deactivated

Anyone have any insight as to how often Aslin will be bottling?

35. Nadtla

Nadtla Initiate (94) Oct 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

36. beershack1

beershack1 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2013 Maryland

Aslin Beer Company
    1 min ·
    Cheers to a new year!

As the new year is quickly approaching, we wanted to let you know that Aslin Beer Co. will be leaving the Town of Herndon in 2017. This was not an easy decision to make but it's necessary in order to grow our business and fulfill our mission to create amazing beer and a great place to enjoy it.

We have not yet decided on our new location but are in the process of scoping out options and hope to confirm our new spot soon.

Until our new location is up and running, we will continue to operate as To-Go only to make our beer more easily accessible to more people. Beer will be limited through the next two weeks, but as of the second week of January it will released on a weekly basis. We will updated operating hours through the next few weeks.

2017 Mug Club members - you will be receiving a separate email shortly regarding how this affects your membership.

For this week, starting December 28, we will be making announcements each day for releases and hours.

From everyone at Aslin Beer Co. - thank you for your continued support. Feel free to stop by and chat or shoot us an email if you have any questions.

37. jfclark

jfclark Initiate (0) May 2, 2012 New York

Was the move always planned or brought on because of the issues they had last week? I guess they need more space but I thought they just did some upgrades at the current one?

38. MeanDeuce

MeanDeuce Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Virginia

They have been planning to expand to other locations, but I had always heard they wanted to keep the existing location. I'm guessing last week's stuff may have affected those plans and now they are gonna cut bait and gtfo.

siege06nd and Gumbo_gravy like this.
  39. wd09601

wd09601 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Maryland

I'm holding out some strange hope that they would move closer to Bmore.

Rorshak16 likes this.
  40. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Hoping for bigger space, more capacity and closer to DC.

Darwensi, FatSkippy and Beers-es like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.