Aslin Beer Co. Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Dirtyhands, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jnashed

Jnashed Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

Bigger space, closer to DC = big costs. They need to move further west. Where property costs are cheaper and a town has lower taxes . Like to Winchester. :wink:

2. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (148) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Crazy if all of this was put into motion due to last weeks release

3. YourBoy

YourBoy Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2011 Maryland

It 100% was.

4. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

I'm guessing the reason they chose Herndon in the first place is because it's somewhat close/central to where they live. That said, I'm guessing they stay in western fairfax county or eastern loudoun. Going closer to DC doesn't really have much benefit for them at this point, people want their beer and will travel for it.

SlothB77 likes this.
  5. thomas2357

thomas2357 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia

What did the release trigger? I heard it was a fire code thing.

6. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

that's true.

7. i_run_far

Deactivated

Did anyone go yesterday? Long line?

8. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Long line from what I heard. Best to get there by 2:30 if you want the IPAs

9. Beers-es

Beers-es Champion (895) Oct 30, 2015 Virginia

Yeah, for today's release of 3 IPA kegs, that's 45 gallons. The first 45 people will clean them out at 1 gallon max per person. I think they were out by 4 pm yesterday. I'll skip.

10. i_run_far

Deactivated

Drove by and just kept going, 30 or so outside and I can only assume 20 inside.

11. YourBoy

It's a fucked situation. Their staff isn't making money. They aren't bottling. They aren't crowlering. Wonder how long this can go on before their bottom line starts to take a serious hit. That coupled with the loan they took out for expansion it can't be too long.

12. GeuzeInTheHouse

GeuzeInTheHouse Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2016 District of Columbia

They will be fine because they haven't even come close to hitting full capacity on theory nee system. I think the new brewhouse comes next
    Week. So once they get through the expansion phase I would think they would be putting out way more product. I talked to one of the owners today and he mentioned that once they get through the next two/three weeks of build our they will have more product then now. He also mentioned they have more large tanks on the way to meet demand.

13. i_run_far

Deactivated

They aren't going to do anymore bottle releases?

Saw on FB that people were lined up at 11am, good beer but that's a long time to sit around for what equates to a couple 4 packs of tallboys.

#253 i_run_far, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  14. GeuzeInTheHouse

GeuzeInTheHouse Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2016 District of Columbia

Yes, they will have there next one in two weeks according to their latest post.

15. hoppytobehere

When are they planning on making the move? Seems weird that they're gonna install all this new equipment and have to take it all down in the near future.

16. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

That could only be true if they had absolutely no business plan at all (possible I guess). They are selling beer as fast as they can make it.They are making as much beer as they possibly can on the rig they have. If the maximum the rig can produce, at max capacity, isn't enough to pay the loans+rent+wages+supplies, when they are converting it back to cash immediately... if they weren't, they'd be sitting on finished beer that wasn't turned back into cash. How could that possibly be better than their current condition?

You can say they are leaving money on the table, of course, anyone who's demand is greater than their supply is leaving money on the table, but to say they "aren't making money" is not accurate.

#256 Prince_Casual, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I think he meant the non-owner staff.

hoppytobehere and Prince_Casual like this.
  18. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

so they have a beer release on the 14th. daddy g's pop-up. anyone know what kind of beer that will be?

19. i_run_far

Deactivated

daddy g's is salsa

Prince_Casual likes this.
  20. MeanDeuce

MeanDeuce Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Virginia

Chips and salsa to-go!

Prince_Casual likes this.
  21. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia

100% hyperbole. Anyone who makes long term business decisions based on one setback or event will not be a business owner for long.

22. moonbrews

moonbrews Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2010 Virginia

So it's not a collaboration Salsaison?

23. siege06nd

siege06nd Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

Great article here that someone shared on Facebook: https://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/tap-takeover-aslin-beer-company

I was surprised how much attention they pay to feedback on BA and on Facebook. It's obvious these guys really care about their product and their customers. I was already a fan...I'm even more of one now.

Oh also looks like another bottle release upcoming.

24. Beers-es

Thanks for posting this, it's a really good read.

25. FLASHMSTRC

FLASHMSTRC Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2015 Virginia

Agreed - pretty lengthy read, but gives some great insight into the owners and Aslin as a brewery!

26. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland

I like how beernuts is quoted in the article. Article is legit.

pmarlowe and hoppytobehere like this.
  27. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Yeah I almost spit my drink out when I read that haha

28. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

What a gentleman that Beernuts is!

29. YourBoy

A Vendor I use in Sterling vacated one of their auxiliary warehouses a few weeks back and said a brewery was moving in. Anyone know of anything in the pipeline off of Old Ox? If not, wonder if this could be Aslin's new location that's been in the works for a bit.

30. Kirkles

Kirkles Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 District of Columbia

My impression is the landlord isn't renewing the lease. On bottle release night in Dec, the fire marshal showed up and got on their case about capacity limits. One of their staffers mentioned to me that Aslin's neighbors in the business park frequently get pissed about all the cars and crowds and are always calling the cops and fire marshal on the brewery. I'm guessing that the other businesses have been complaining to the landlord who's decided it's not worth his while to keep Aslin's lease. I also don't think the city of Herndon has been particularly helpful to Aslin's growth and development, hence the announcement that that they're leaving Herndon and not just their current space. This is all speculation, of course, but it does add up.

31. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

You can continue to speculate or just read the BYT article linked above because they lay out exactly what's going on and why they're leaving Herndon. Sounds like your speculation is actually pretty on-point though!

32. Kirkles

Oh haha! Glad to have the confirmation. I wonder where they'll move. I was assuming closer to the city, but with all the talk of solar power, water retention etc, maybe it's Loudoun.

33. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Yeah I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them move further from the city, despite my personal stake in them coming closer! There's just more cheap space out there than there is around here, and DC in particular hasn't been very accommodating to new breweries.

34. hoppytobehere

FRIDAY, JANUARY RELEASE:
    HOURS: 3pm - 8pm
    We will be releasing remaining kegs, approximately 3 kegs each, of the following beers with prices. Limits are 128oz per person and 64oz per beer. When sold out we will be closed for the day. We have a new order of growlers for sale ($5). We also have hats, t-shirts, & hoodies for sale. We will be serving/allowing in approximately 20 people at a time in the brewery. WE WILL NOT FILL THIN LONG NECK GROWLERS!! NO ON SITE POURS ARE AVAILABLE!
    •Johann Buys A Broat: 32oz - $13, 64oz - $26
    •Double Orange Starfish: 32oz - $13, 64oz - $26
    •Cocoa Mapalm: 32oz -$12, 64oz - $24
    •Fair Weather Friend: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24
    •Berliner Weisse w/ Peach & Cinnamon: 32oz - $12, 64oz - $24

3 kegs of each, so there shouldn't any reason to rush out there early, but you know there will be a crowd.

35. Kirkles

The latest batch of Double Starfish is fire

siege06nd likes this.
  36. i_run_far

Deactivated

How's the line looking now?

37. Beers-es

I left there at 3:15 and there were maybe 25 people in line.

38. Sage954

Sage954 Initiate (36) Jul 8, 2016 Maryland

Stopped by the brewery just before closing today. Filled 2 growlers with no wait. All beers were still available. Drinking great beers and watching football at home, missed my pints at the bar.

FLASHMSTRC and Beers-es like this.
  39. i_run_far

Deactivated

Anyone know if they are open today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.