Atlanta Advice?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by tinoynk, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (97) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I'll be in Atlanta next weekend, was wondering what the beer spots worth visiting are. I want to try to get to Creature Comforts, but not sure if I'll be able to make the trip.

2. DrivinNCryin

DrivinNCryin Initiate (50) Aug 21, 2017 South Carolina

Couple of threads below about ATL.

But, I'll always throw in my suggestion: The Porter Beer bar. Great tap list, vintage list, and a hole in the wall. And, Wreckingbar brewpub / eatery is just a block away if you wanted a double trouble treat.

Jwale73, johnyb and Scope4Beer like this.
  3. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

I was there last week, aside from Porter and Wrecking Bar, which are both outstanding I also hit New Realm and it was damn impressive. The staff at New Realm said I should check out Monday Night Brewing and there were a few other breweries in that area. (I didn't have time to check them out though).

Hayden34 likes this.
  4. RuralJuror17

RuralJuror17 Initiate (62) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Porter / Wrecking Bar is the must do combination. In terms of shops Hop City is your best bet and as far as breweries go my favorite are Monday Night, Red Brick, Orpheus, and Three Taverns. If you find yourself OTP Variant in Roswell and Cherry Street in Cumming are both exceptional breweries.

5. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Aspirant (204) Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Decatur area is my go to (mainly because I live here). Three Taverns Brewery, Wild Heaven Brewery, Twain's Brewpub, Brickstore Pub, Leon's, Kimball House, Victory/SOS. Ale Yeah! for bottles. Trackside if you want to get divey with picklebacks and Tropicalia.
    MARTA access in the center of it all if you are interested in trying our terrible little transit system.

Hayden34, pghlee and Brent272smith like this.
  6. treznor

treznor Zealot (555) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Monday Night has two locations (the original taproom and the Garage), which aren't really close to each other. But I also can't really picture what breweries are near either one of them.

I'd second Monday Night Garage. Its where they do their barrel-aging and souring and that's the focus in the taplist there (though they have other stuff on as well). The original location I think of as more of a fun place to hang out with good beer. Still worth visiting, but I'd personally vote for Monday Night Garage over the original taproom.

7. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (277) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Eventide Brewing, 1015 Grant St SE, Atlanta for a local brewery visit. They're not far from the old Braves stadium and Grant Park, if you're familiar with the area. A quick Interweb search for Eventide in Atlanta will get you to their site. Sometimes they'll bring in a food truck or live entertainment.....tasting room hours vary.
    I think they've nailed their Kolsch.

8. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (64) May 25, 2016 Florida

I just went up there for Day of the Juice Festival at the end of March. My favorite Breweries were Scofflaw, Three Taverns, Monday Night Garage and Orpheus. I was able to make a stop at Brick Store pub, that was fantastic! Red Brick was surprisingly much better than expected (as other posters here noted, they have a new brewer). I really wanted to get to Wrecking Bar and Porter, just couldn't fit it in to this trip. The only other brewery i really wanted to hit was The Woodlands (Sweetwater's Barrel and Sour brewery). i have had some really good beers from them. I did also hit New Realm and Torched hop, both good. The space at New Realm is fantastic, and i was pleased with my beer choice as well. Food looked great there!

9. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (714) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

What did you think about Day of the Juice? I personally thought it was great and hope they keep it an annual event. That was my first festival so I don't have much to compare it to.

Gsteele292 likes this.
  10. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (714) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

I don't make it to Atlanta often but Monday Night and Scofflaw are pretty good. If you do get to go to Creature Comforts in Athens you should try to hit Akedemia or Southern Brewing Company also.

11. Gsteele292

I was very pleased with the event, right amount of people, great beers, good environment! Everyone was very friendly, i really enjoyed it! It's really nice to go to a small festival like this. I am a 6-year Huna Veteran, lol. One of my other favorite festivals that is small is right here in Jacksonville. The Florida Brewers Guild puts on the Barrel Aged and Sour Festival every year, November or December. Great beers from all over Florida, limited tickets, good times!

JBowenGeorgia likes this.
  12. Realsambo

Realsambo Aspirant (275) Apr 15, 2016 Texas
    Society Trader

Didn't read this whole thing.... in College Park right now, any good stores close by I can uber to?

13. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Late to the party but close to Monday Night West Midtown is Red Brick, Second Self, Urban Tree Cidery, and if you like inconsistent IPAs, Scofflaw.

Hayden34, Brent272smith and treznor like this.
  14. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Any opinions on 5 Seasons - Prado? This appears to be the only brewery/brew pub in the area I'll be staying (Sandy Springs) that I can get to using the hotel's shuttle service.

Also, I can get around town using MARTA, and from what I found, these locations are walking distance from a station:
    • Monday Night Garage (walk looks sketchy)
    • Three Taverns
    • Blue Tarp
    • Brick Store Pub
    • Torched Hop
    Any other locations walking distance from a station that I may have missed?

15. riptorn

riptorn Aspirant (277) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm from the northern burbs of ATL but don't often get IP (Inside the Perimeter/I-285). Brick Store is on my list of must-do's, especially their Belgian Bar. It looks like MARTA will dump you about 100 yds or less from their door. MARTA rail is pretty dependable, although it will jostle you a bit and can be loud and rickety.

From The Brick Store Pub website:
    Our relationship with importers and breweries allows us to offer beers you will find nowhere else. The Brick Store and its exclusive beer list have received national & international acclaim on the world’s two biggest beer websites — beeradvocate.com & ratebeer.com. We’ve also racked up eighteen consecutive years of “Best of Atlanta” recognition for our fabulous beer list and pub fare.

FWIW, if you find yourself jonesin' for a cold, sweet treat, the old Courthouse across the street from Brick Store has King Of Pops. Their ice cream popsicles are very, very good....I get the blueberry cobbler popsicle when available from one of their pop-up locations.

will_eye_e likes this.
  16. treznor

Trader

The combo of Brick Store/Three Taverns/Blue Tarp might make getting that far away from you're staying doable. Brick Store and Three Taverns are absolutely worth it. I don't know anything about Blue Tarp.

Torched Hop is also a worthy stop. Monday Night Garage the walk isn't what I'd call the most scenic part of town, but it didn't strike me as horrible.

Others to consider:
    - Wrecking Bar and Porter are about a half mile from the Inman Park MARTA station. Wrecking Bar makes great beer and has awesome cocktails to boot if that's your thing. Porter has a -considerable- draft and bottle list. As well, both are pretty awesome restaurants.
    - Orpheus. Probably requires taking a bus or a short uber from the Arts Center station. I only list it as its closer to the MARTA than the other options that aren't really on the MARTA like Scofflaw and Red Brick.

Keep in mind that taking the MARTA, especially if you need to connect in the middle of town like you will to get to Decatur, will take much longer than an Uber. Traffic is notoriously horrible in Atlanta, but the Uber will go directly to where you're looking to go, whereas with MARTA you pretty much have to go downtown to connect anywhere.

will_eye_e likes this.
  17. beaufreka

beaufreka Initiate (58) Dec 14, 2008 South Carolina

I wouldn’t waste your time with Blue Tarp.

Definitely hit Wrecking Bar and Porter.

Three Taverns is awesome and if you’re at Brick Store you could also hit Leon’s, Square Pub, Twain’s, Raging Burrito, Marlay House, Kimball House, etc. They should all have something interesting on at least.

will_eye_e likes this.
  18. Gsteele292

When we went to Decatur, did Three Taverns, Blue Tarp and Wild Heaven, followed by Brick Store Pub. Three Taverns was excellent, Blue Tarp was better than expected (especially since it was an unplanned / unresearched stop), and Wild Heaven was disappointing. Of course, ending at Brick Store made it all better!

will_eye_e likes this.
  19. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (256) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I did the Porter x Wrecking Bar combo about four years ago and really enjoyed it. It happened to be on a Wednesday and WB was doing a Wood Wednesday event. Do they still do that?

20. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Any reasoning here? They make the best Baltic Porter in the Southeast easily, Funk Weiss is a top notch berliner, Hawking Radiation is fantastic, and Last Place is the benchmark locally of RISs. I don't get the hate people have, they're not fancy and big like Sweetwater and have a million dollar taproom, but the beers are all solid.

21. Dtrain22

Dtrain22 Initiate (60) Nov 2, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

Hey y’all! I’ve read thru this thread and others here on BA, but can’t really seem to find anything about what I’m wondering, sorry if I’ve overlooked it but any advice helps! My brother is heading down in two weeks for a braves game and they are staying within 2 miles of the stadium. Is there anywhere super convenient to the suntrust park area that I could have him swing by for me and easily find some creature comforts tropicalia or automatic or some Monday night brewing stuff, or other must pick ups that we don’t have here in Raleigh NC? Are those in grocery stores down there? Easy to find? Thanks for all help and recommendations!

22. winehead247

winehead247 Initiate (130) May 25, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Tropicalia is available at most places around town, even Publix near me in Vinings. If he is staying near the park, there really isn’t what I consider a solid beer shop right near there. Smyrna Beer Market does have some cans and also does Crowlers that is somewhat close. Hop City is really solid shop and would definitely have it but it’s about 20 minutes south of the stadium; Monday Night is also on the way to HC as well. Sorry if this reply is too late, hope it is of use. If He doesn’t bring any beers back, PM me and I will send you some.

traction likes this.
  23. Dtrain22

Dtrain22 Initiate (60) Nov 2, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

Thanks for this advice! I’ll definitely tuck it away for next time. Trip had to be cancelled due to hurricane Florence, unfortunately.

24. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (199) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I will be in town next Monday/Tuesday for work and managed to score a Falcons ticket for MNF. I have a few hours to kill before the game and would love a few suggestions, especially if there is an option within walking distance of the stadium. Otherwise, I was thinking some combination of Torched Hop, New Realm, and Wrecking Bar for a mini pre-game crawl (I've been to Porter a few times in the past). Thanks in advance!

25. treznor

Trader

I stay near the stadium pretty frequently. If there's somewhere decent to drink, I haven't found it. As long as you realize the places you list aren't really in walking distance from each other, you should be good. Those are the closest places to the stadium that I know of, maybe with the addition of Orpheus and Hop City at Krog Street Market, which are both a bit further away but still pretty close.

winehead247 and Piels25 like this.
  26. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Disciple (394) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia
    Society

Max Lager’s Brewpub is probably the closest place with good food and beer.

27. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (157) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Headed to Atlanta this weekend. Doing porter/WB Friday. Going to bounce around to different breweries Saturday. Any releases lately I should be on the lookout for?

28. jrob21

jrob21 Devotee (405) May 4, 2006 Georgia
    Trader

Three Taverns on Saturday morning, 11a, Mount Fang. You can then spend a couple hours doing the Decatur beer scene. Your Friday sounds just about perfect. Plenty of entertaining stuff between those two spots.

29. Bfairhurst74

Trader

@jrob21 Thanks! Think there will be a big line for that one?

30. traction

traction Devotee (470) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society

Not a very long line but there will be likely be a bit of waiting

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  31. jrob21

jrob21 Devotee (405) May 4, 2006 Georgia
    Trader

agreed. if you want to hit the tap room at the same time you should probably be there by 9:30 or so. the tap room is small and fills up pretty quick. just bottles and 10:45 is probably good.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  32. Bfairhurst74

Trader

Had a great weekend in Atlanta. I was able to hit three taverns, scofflaw and Orpheus on Saturday. Really enjoyed them all. Thanks for the suggestion to hit three taverns, probably wouldn’t have gone otherwise. Good beers and a nice taproom. Mount fang is delicious.

winehead247 and jrob21 like this.
  33. sdhopaddict

sdhopaddict Initiate (78) Oct 9, 2016 California

Thanks for all the brewery suggestions. If we are in town just for a Sunday and a Monday, are there any breweries that open around Noon on Monday? All the ones on my list don't open till 4PM or later. And assuming not, any pubs/bars with great beer selection that we should visit that would be open for Lunch and have some vegan options for food?

34. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Zealot (503) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Porter Beer Bar, though the vegan thing may be tough.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  35. Bfairhurst74

Trader

I think the porter should be able to accommodate a vegan. They are more than accommodating there. If not you can have a few pours there and something close
    By should be vegan friendly.

The_FishermanJay likes this.
  36. sdhopaddict

Sounds great thanks! I see they have the Impossible Burger as an option so they at least are aware of the existence of vegans. And if not we can always eat elsewhere before stopping by for lunchtime beers :slight_smile:

The_FishermanJay likes this.
  37. Bfairhurst74

Trader

My wife is vegetarian, not vegan, she has no issues finding food there. If I remember right there were some vegetarian options that could easily be made vegan.

38. pghlee

pghlee Initiate (133) Feb 24, 2006 Georgia

fyi Vegan restaurant next to the Porter

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  39. sdhopaddict

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up not able to grab lunch (or beers) at Porter because of the wait and drank at Chairs Pub near the airport - which got us a taste of some traditional Southern items and a solid beer list. Downtown was so crazy with trying to park at Porter. Plus we were surprised by how both on the freeways and other roads the right lane would suddenly become a right turn only without much warning. Driving around was certainly an experience.

Otherwise Monday Night was my favorite of the trip by far and I was blown away by the quality of Situational Ethics and brought some bottles home. I loved all 3 of the varieties and my husband loved the Port mostly.

New Realm was lovely with some excellent modern west coast IPAs as I like to call it reminiscent of Fremont in Seattle. Also delicious house pilsner and lovely spot to hang out.

We also stopped by Three Taverns, where I enjoyed the pilsner and the blueberry pie beer quite a bit. Wrecking Bar was lovely with the coffee brown and oak aged ESB. ATL Brewing was a miss for me mostly. I did not care for their mixed fermentation saisons though I did find their BA stout to be quite good.

Orpheus was lovely for the stouts but the prices were surprising. I wasn't that impressed by their sours - either the oak aged golden or the berliner. And it was just so busy there with the cold and everyone jamming inside.

At least for now I may simply trade to get some Monday Night and Creature Comforts Athena rather than making another trip. I am glad I snagged a six pack of Athena and one of Paradise Athena to bring back. It is my top berliner in the country.

40. brendan3863

brendan3863 Initiate (65) Sep 25, 2012 North Carolina

Hi all, I'm in Atlanta for work. I went to Porter last night which was excellent. Tonight I'm looking for a brewery to go to. Do any regularly have food trucks or maybe an excellent takeout place nearby? I'm leaning toward Monday Night Garage right now, but haven't figured out food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.