Atlanta ISO: Bottle share?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by jdhowe, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdhowe

jdhowe Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2013 Georgia

I've looked around but haven't seen a ton going on in the Atlanta area in the way of bottle shares. It's probable that I've just missed the information, looked in the wrong places, or asked the wrong people, but I'd love to find some folks locally who are interested in opening and sharing some good brews. I'm newer to the area, and I figure at this point that just throwing something out publicly might be my best shot at getting my engagement in the craft beer community here rolling.

If there's an existing establishment for this, please let me know to whom to speak or where/when to go.

If there's nothing going on for any reason and you're interested, also please let me know and maybe we can get some quorum of interest and establish something ongoing.

2. AW311

AW311 Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2012 Georgia

What part of town are you in?

3. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2012 Georgia

I would also be interested. What part of town is kind of a big deal though.

4. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Aspirant (239) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Wasn't there a big one at the Argosy just last week?

Hate to say this because the attitudes seem to bother me, but much of the bottle share activity in ATL seems to be coordinated through Reddit (ATL BEER).

5. Tony_D

Tony_D Initiate (162) Feb 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

There is a bottle share the first sunday of each month at Wrecking Bar Brewpub. It's at like noon or 1. I haven't been able to go for awhile.

jdhowe likes this.
  6. jdhowe

Sandy Springs area, but easy enough MARTA access.

I don't know... I tried looking into it through atlbeer and didn't see much promising. Searching "share" turned up a most-recent post from 5 months ago or something to that effect, although given that I find the reddit interface nearly unusable I probably was doing it wrong.

7. DawgPhan

Argosys one was canceled.

Jshari223 likes this.
  8. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

The first Sunday Wrecking Bar one is probably the biggest, and definitely the most consistent, one. There are other smaller ones that pop up around town with limited notice ahead of time.

9. Jshari223

Jshari223 Aspirant (201) Nov 13, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

The first rule of First Sunday: We don't talk about First Sunday.:wink:

10. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (109) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Bankhead.

OP, just say you are bringing KBBS. If you build it, they will come.

RDMII likes this.
  11. Jshari223

Trader

A: My brother and I were the ones putting on the share at Argosy last week, but we had to cancel due to lack of interest. We plan on doing a weeknight share at a restaurant in the midtown area starting in 2015. We plan to start small (6-8people) with that share, and grow from there.

B: Reddit's shares seemed to be underwhelming to say the least, that accompanied with their attitudes is why I don't attend them.

ekardz likes this.
  12. Jshari223

Trader

I offered up a ton of serious bottles to get my share started (Not KBBS. But good enough to land a KBBS) and received crickets for the most part. I agree that timing was not on our side given the week after Thanksgiving, and the day before Strong Beer Fest.

And yes. Bankhead is the most happening place in the beer scene.

13. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I've been to several around Atlanta, and only a few have I really enjoyed. There always seem to be a chest beater at a share who talks shit about everyone else's beer, but brings something lackluster and acts like it's the megawhale. That's true with every share I've been to save ones with close friends. The First Sunday is always solid but has gotten pretty big, don't count on trying everything and expect some people to be greedy, just the nature of the beast unfortunately. I've come to just open bottles a few times a week with people who stop in to shop or attend a small share once in a while with locals without putting on some crazy event or planning for weeks ahead. Impromptu shares seem to work best. People are just too damn busy to set up a mass share and have it fit everyone's schedule.

14. DawgPhan

I have had a great time at pretty much every bottle share I have attended. Try new beers, meet new people, share my beers.

15. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (788) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

I'm usually up for it.

Jshari223 likes this.
  16. jdhowe

I considered this approach, but don't really have a venue and figured I'd engage existing events first. Also no interest in trying to split a KBBS 20+ ways. That sounds miserable.

BM me more info about this forming share if you are looking for those 6-8 people or want to expand from there. :wink:

17. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

Exactly! It's big enough as is lol. All jokes aside I really do enjoy 1S. Look forward to it every month.

ekardz likes this.
  18. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (262) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

I've been to a share with @jdhowe. You'll be glad there was room for him.

Loganyoung and jdhowe like this.
  19. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

And I invite anyone who wants to join (espically if they bring great beer:wink:) first Sunday of every month at the wrecking bar at 2. So if you've got a calendar you can't say you didn't know! Cheers!​

ColdOne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.