August 2018 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by dbrauneis, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,422) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Birdsong Be-Bop-A-Ree-Bop (Bottled May 2017): 3.63/5.0

A: Pours an opaque thick viscous jet black in color with moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising along the edges of the glass and faint dark cola brown colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense fizzy foamy dark tan head that slowly reduces to a large patch of very thin film covering approximately 85% of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Just shy of moderate aromas of toasted, roasted, chocolate, and charred malts with minimal amounts of sweetness. Light to moderate aromas of tart rhubarb and leafy herbal + earthy hops. Slightly stronger than moderate aromas of oak, red wine, and tart vinegar.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted, roasted, chocolate, and charred malts with minimal amounts of sweetness. That is followed by just shy of moderate flavors of oak, red wine, and tart vinegar. Finally there are light to moderate flavors of tart rhubarb and light flavors of leafy herbal + earthy hops which along with the charred malts impart a hint of bitterness which fades pretty quickly leaving lingering acidic tartness.

M: Medium bodied with slightly heavier than moderate amounts of carbonation. Initially slightly thin/watery with a light amounts of acidic prickliness and hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Sour stouts are one of those styles that in execution either work really well or feel like the different aspects of the flavor/aromas of the ingredients are in conflict with one another. This beer falls into the latter category unfortunately - the charred malts, rhubarb, and red wine just are competing for your attention when drinking it. The alcohol is well hidden and the mouthfeel is quite pleasant but I don't think I would have this one again. Aging for a year really did not make a noticeable change in my thoughts/opinions on this beer.
    A: Pours an opaque thick viscous jet black in color with moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising along the edges of the glass and faint dark cola brown colored highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense fizzy foamy dark tan head that slowly reduces to a large patch of very thin film covering approximately 85% of the surface of the beer and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Just shy of moderate aromas of toasted, roasted, chocolate, and charred malts with minimal amounts of sweetness. Light to moderate aromas of tart rhubarb and leafy herbal + earthy hops. Slightly stronger than moderate aromas of oak, red wine, and tart vinegar.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted, roasted, chocolate, and charred malts with minimal amounts of sweetness. That is followed by just shy of moderate flavors of oak, red wine, and tart vinegar. Finally there are light to moderate flavors of tart rhubarb and light flavors of leafy herbal + earthy hops which along with the charred malts impart a hint of bitterness which fades pretty quickly leaving lingering acidic tartness.

M: Medium bodied with slightly heavier than moderate amounts of carbonation. Initially slightly thin/watery with a light amounts of acidic prickliness and hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Sour stouts are one of those styles that in execution either work really well or feel like the different aspects of the flavor/aromas of the ingredients are in conflict with one another. This beer falls into the latter category unfortunately - the charred malts, rhubarb, and red wine just are competing for your attention when drinking it. The alcohol is well hidden and the mouthfeel is quite pleasant but I don't think I would have this one again. Aging for a year really did not make a noticeable change in my thoughts/opinions on this beer.

jrnyc, CaptainHate, bl00 and 6 others like this.
  2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,840) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

2013 Velvet Merkin. Poured from fridge temp. Pours jet black with little head. Nose is amazing. Lots of chocolate, bourbon, maple, roasted malts, and vanilla. Taste follows the nose. Nice dark chocolate dipped in bourbon. Getting some coffee, licorice, dark roasted malts, tree bark, vanilla, and maple. Really smooth. Probably not as good as fresh, but still really tasty after 5 years.

[​IMG]

jrnyc, CaptainHate, bl00 and 12 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,570) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

A beer journey.

A little over 3 years ago I bought a fresh case of the Goose Island Sofie which had a best by date a full year out from when it was bottled. This post is about the changes in my last bottle with a bit over three years of bottle age on it. (Full disclosure, I'm not writing this post in real time. The most recent bottle was actually consumed last month and I’m just now getting a write up finished from my notes on multiple bottles.)

First, a bit of background and context.

For me, when fresh, the aromas/flavors of Sofie are about the yeast, some lemon zest, some white pepper spiciness and maybe a bit of the oak.

About 18 months after buying the case (6 mos. beyond the best by date) I opened a cellared bottle to see what was going on. The Brett funk was starting to show with that additional bottle age. While the effect of the Brett was still quite light, a touch of funk was definitely detectable in the aroma when opening the bottle. The flavors also included a very light funkiness. Naturally the hop flavors, which were hard to sort out even in fresh bottles, were not as prominent, but the beer was otherwise still very similar in some ways to the bottles I had within the best by date period.

Then, about a year ago, six months after opening the first cellared bottle, and two years after buying the case, I opened another cellared bottle. At 2 years of bottle age the Brett had become fairly dominant. The aromas gave it away when the bottle was opened and the pour into a Duvel glass had to be carefully controlled because even under control it created a head over 2" above the liquid. The aromas and flavors were mostly about the Brett with their funkiness and earthy, almost barnyard character. Not surprisingly there was little or no trace of the hops. But there was a just bit of citric tart sweetness in the background.

Moving on to this year’s bottle, 3 years on from purchase and 2 years past the best by date, there has definitely been a change from last year’s cellared bottle. Last year the Brett mostly dominated both the aromas and flavors. This year, while the aromas still show off some Brett funk it’s more muted and integrated than last year and there’s a lot of nice fruit showing that didn’t didn’t seem to be in there when the beer was fresh. The flavors showing this year included some melon and white grapes and with the earthy Brett funk more in the background there seems to be a bit of oak showing too.

@TongoRad

#3 drtth, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    jrnyc, CaptainHate, bl00 and 14 others like this.
  4. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,859) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Great Lakes Barrel Aged Stout 2015

The weakest of the series going back to my first sip of this beautiful nectar in 2008. The second bottle I've had in the past month that's been like this: no barrel, with the mouthfeel starting to thin out, & little taste rather than vague sweetness & sharp roast. Given how much I love this beer aged - the 2008 remains one of the best beers I've ever tasted - this year is a disappointment. If you're hanging on to any, I'd suggest trying one sooner rather than later.

jrnyc, CaptainHate, bl00 and 8 others like this.
  5. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,290) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Carton Regular Coffee

Canned on 12/22/2016

Stored in my basement which hovers at 55-60 all year round.

Appearance

Smell

This beer still smells like a coffee forward beer, but the in your face coffee aroma of the fresh version is no more. The 12% ABV is still well hidden (nonexistent fresh), but it’s noticeable now and contributes to the sweet nose. Sweetened coffee with cream, candy corn, lemon zest, fresh basil, hay and spearmint.

Taste

With no exaggeration this beer fresh tastes like a cup of coffee with cream and sugar. It’s a very coffee forward and sweet beer. There are nuances to the coffee, but overall, the beer nails its namesake.

This can is still coffee forward, but the flavors have faded a lot. What I’m left with is something more focused on the grainy aspect of the beer. Malt/corn. My first reaction to the sweetness said malty characteristics of a märzen/octoberfest beer. You can taste the alcohol, but not in an offensive way.

Mouthfeel

Little to no carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. A warming sensation on the palate and throughout the pipes from the alcohol.

Drinkability

This is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. Do I think it benefits from age? Absolutely not. This beer should be consumed ASAP to fully enjoy the coffee, creamy and sugary notes that it offers.

This is my last can and was really just a straggler that I didn’t get around to drinking. Did not intentionally age it. It was great fun drinking this beer and seeing how it changed over time. But do yourself a favor and drink it fresh.

@augiecarton

jrnyc, CaptainHate, bl00 and 8 others like this.
  6. jheimbigner

jheimbigner Devotee (406) Apr 18, 2015 Washington
    Premium Trader

Baller Stout 2011 (3.7/5) bottled 2011

Did not have too high hopes for this guy. Initial pour had a 1 inch Carmel head that quickly disapated. It poured thicker than expected. Nose was soy sauce/umami with a little chocolate/roasted malts. Taste followed the smell. Very one dimensional, mainly soy sauce/umami and a little roasted malt flavor in the back. The soy sauce/umami was not an off putting flavor, but rather quite decent. Mouthfeel was much thicker than expected but not nearly as thick as it would have been fresh, nor what I would expect with Darklord, Darkness, Black Albert, and Beer Geek Brunch being the base beer.

[​IMG]

#6 jheimbigner, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    CaptainHate, bl00, kemoarps and 11 others like this.
  7. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Sucaba. I love this beer fresh, and it ages really nicely for 3-5 years. This tastes really nice. Definitely still strong with notes of caramel, fig, cherries, bread, nuts, and sweet candy. There is a noticeable difference from fresh, and it's not necessarily easy to pinpoint. Perhaps a little less sweet. Overall, this tastes great and I wouldn't hesitate to age up to 5 years. However, I would not go much beyond.

[​IMG]

8. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,971) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota

Bell's Batch 9000
    Quite dark, nearly black and looking close to a RIS. It's been awhile since I last had this. So much so I've forgotten a lot about it. The little smear and ring of a head sure is enduring.
    Real rich with heavy dark fruit. Hinting towards roast but not crossing the line. The fruit is nice.
    Retains a wonderful full mouthfeel. Soft and full without being heavy. This amplifies the wonderful rich fruit character of the flavor. Wow...this is still impressive. For a beer this big (12.5%) the alcohol blends extremely well with the full rich malt character. Good shot of warmth in the gut lets me know it's substantial (and in time the 'ding' to the prefrontal cortex tells me again). But going down it's a full malt, dark fruit (berry and dried fruit mix) and slight perfume mix.
    I wrote this at the end of my original review, " Aging will do this some thing wonderful.". Boy did I call that one right. I like it every bit as much as when I first had it in 2010. I picked up chocolate then and I don't now. But the alcohol blends better than then. I also noted a bourbon quality then, which I don't now too. It seems aging has helped develop the fruit flavors.
    This is one aging project that was a success.

CaptainHate, bl00, jmdrpi and 13 others like this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,121) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I'm not surprised that aging it worked. I think that I mentioned the potential for it in my review.

garymuchow likes this.
  10. argock

argock Poo-Bah (2,797) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia

2016 Trader Joe’s Vintage Ale
    Lightly aged but curious as it’s about buying time and I couldn’t remember what the flavor was like.
    Very grapy aroma with coriander and nutmeg spices and light medicinal phenols.
    Flavor also a lot of grape fruitiness with layer of tobacco and light but obvious phenols and finishing pretty highly spiced with coriander, nutmeg, and pepper.
    Feel is pretty light and effervescent for the ABV.
    Not bad for an every once in a while try.

garymuchow, CaptainHate, bl00 and 9 others like this.
  11. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (504) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Sierra Nevada Narwhal bottled 8-7-17, so aged one year:

Look was chocolatey, coffee, mocha with creamy bubbly head. Smell was roasted malts and chocolate with thick creamy mouthfeel.

Now the flavor was the real kicker. I did not like this beer all that much fresh but wow what a difference aged. This beer actually tasted bourbon barrel aged. I read the bottle while drinking, not bourbon barrel aged. But man I swear I can taste bourbon. I also get chocolatey roasted malts, vanilla cream, marshmallow, and slight hint of green pepper which would be attributed to aged coffee beer. Wish it was coffee more so than green pepper but then again maybe that is what attributed to the bourbon flavor. I have 4 more bottles and probably going to drink one sooner than later, maybe 2. I will then age 1 for 18 months and another for 3 but then again maybe I should drink all 4 in the next month as it tastes that good. Glad I aged it.

12. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Ten Fidy

Poured from cellar temp into a tulip. Pours jet black with dark brown head. Nose if full of roasted malts, charred wood, black licorice, coffee grounds, and a bit of tobacco. Taste is super smooth. Creamy, as if it were a taste. Charred wood really comes through. Lots of burnt malts, tobacco, and a bit of dark fruit. Seems to have mellowed out a lot since fresh. Super smooth with a creamy mouthfeel. Overall, I am happy to taste this 5 years after canning, but I would probably go for about 2-3 years.

[​IMG]

13. argock

2012 Founders Old Curmudgeon
    04/06/12 although bottling date is smudged
    Fairly clear dark amber with a few floaties
    Aroma of maple, toffee, nougat, light chocolate, and lovely light bourbon character still hanging on
    Flavor is a little short on heft in the malt dept as some of it has fallen out. Still delicious with variety of toffee, bittersweet chocolate, caramel, and again pleasant nicely blended bourbon barrel character. Medium bitterness still comes through in the finish.
    Feel is thinner than when fresher but very drinkable with soft carbonation.
    I would probably drink these guys sooner rather than later as the malt character has fallen off but it is still a lovely cellared beer.

14. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (87) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

This is a beer I drink one fresh and wait a year, then have one every 6 months or so. I enjoy it fresh but it's definitely way better with the hops toned down.

kemoarps and BenHoppy like this.
  15. argock

2014 Bell’s Expedition Stout
    13504 PKGD 09/18/14
    Jet black with short lived beige head without lacing
    Strong roast with espresso, graham cracker maltiness, and medium caramel and dark chocolate
    Flavor is much stronger in the graham cracker but plenty of all of the other delicious caramel, espresso, roast, dark chocolate, subtle molasses, and a kiss of umami in the finish. Moderately to strongly bitter.
    Full bodied with light carbonation and coating feel.
    I love Expedition at this stage as the licorice notes are not very detectable and the alcohol is present without being overbearing. Feel is also less syrupy but coating, One of my favorite cellared imperial stouts at 3-5 years from bottling.

16. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (392) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I took down an Expo Stout from September 2017 last night... it was still a little boozy for my tastes, but was quite good nonetheless. I personally think this beer is best at about 18 months.

garymuchow, bl00, argock and 3 others like this.
  17. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2012 Bourbon County. Nose is fantastic. Similar to fresh, but perhaps with some slight metallic notes and the bourbon is much more subtle. Taste is super smooth. No off-flavors at all. Getting a lot of molasses and black licorice. The alcohol burn is still there. The bourbon is there, but I think the other notes are a bit more prominent. Mouthfeel is super thick and creamy. I am happy to have this at 6 years. I still have a couple, so I will crack one in 2019.

[​IMG]

18. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,230) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

2011 Pepe Nero
    This was one of the first bottles that I squirreled away when I started my 'cellar' program (at that time I had no idea what constituted cellarability, etc (still don't to a large degree, but I'm learning! Slowly but surely!). As time went on it just kind of stayed in its box and followed me move after move. I was worried with the lower ABV that I had ruined it. Since it was early on in my cellaring adventures I did not buy one to drink fresh, as I should have, so I don't have a fresh option memory against which to compare it, and I would rather not buy a fresh one now, given what I now know, even for science.

[​IMG]

Anyway.
    The body was borderline black/dark brown, like cold brew coffee, and the fuzzy off tan head stuck around, albeit not particularly largely.
    The nose was immediately complex and intriguing: much more so than I had anticipated. Dark cherries bordering on sour were the lead, but a thick sweet molasses underswell followed almost immediately. Plum and other dark fruits dance at the edges, but the molasses is the main body of this one. The same characters held true for the tongue as well. The body was fairly thin, and the carbonation robust, but overall this one easily exceeded my expectations. Colour me duly impressed. Went very well with my freekeh/mushroom/turkey/nasturtium stuffed squash as well.

19. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (440) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

2015 New Holland Night Tripper Imperial Stout.
    Bottled Jan 15 and aged in my basement for ~3.5 years.
    Getting chocolate and licorice on the nose. Taste is chocolates, roasted malt and leather. Wet cardboard definitely present but not overpowering. Looking for dark fruit flavors, but I'm really not getting them. Small sweetness, sherry-like, which does balance out the bitterness nicely.
    Loving the mouthfeel. Medium body and very silky.
    At 11.5% I'm not getting any alcohol bite. Granted, I feel like I'm a terrible judge. Seems like I have gotten used to big beers.
    This has aged well. Success!

[​IMG]

20. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,111) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

2009 Hebrew Jewbelation 13 - almost 10 years old

Pours a very dark brown, almost black. Thick cream colored head, great head and head retention for an aged beer. Aroma and taste is great stuff, very complex malt flacvors - fig, raisin, plum, burnt caramel, spiced rum, tobacco. But not sweet. Fairly thick bodied for this age, hasnt thinned out much. Smooth and sticky feel.

Overall this beer didnt really have a category, but itls likea top notch aged old ale.

[​IMG]

garymuchow, CaptainHate, bl00 and 7 others like this.
  21. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2008 Harvest Ale. Disclaimer: Picked this up from a local shop that had this sitting in the heat. So, my guess is that is hasn't been aged perfectly. Nose is insane. It's bursting with fig, cherries, walnuts, raisins, port, and toffee. Taste is incredible as well. Smokey upfront. Layers of nuts, dark fruit, and toffee come through after. Maybe a hint of soy sauce, but not in a way that's bad. Definitely some oak and port coming through on the taste as well. The body is full and creamy. This has aged beautifully, even if not in the best conditions.

[​IMG]

22. argock

2010 Bell’s Third Coast Ale
    Batch 9970 - 10/16/2010 according to Bell’s Batch Finder
    Murky leathery dark amber with some short-lived beige which leaves a rim of head and a few specks of lacing
    A lot of burnt caramel, toffee, raisin, and fig on the nose with some cola aromas
    Sticky plum, rum raisin, walnut, and toffee on the flavor, milk chocolate and mocha mid-palate with a bit of leafy tobacco in the finish. The maltiness is intense but enjoyable without being cloying.
    Feel is active for almost 8 years in the cellar - silky with low-medium carbonation and a bit of stickyness/tackiness in the finish.
    Third Coast Ale has not lost a step in going on 8 years. Still delicious and satisfying with a big malt presence but a delicious variety of aromas and flavors.

23. strohme2

strohme2 Champion (818) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Bottled 12/04/14 but labeled as 2015. Stored in my cellar (which I mean a cardboard box on the basement cement floor of a dark corner. It works for me).

Drank at cellar temp.
    Crimson body, looks like Autumn at 100%. Khaki head of about an 1” with good lacing.
    Earthy, toffee, prunes, caramel, faint hop nose.
    Dark fruited, prunes, caramel. earthiness, hops are more prevalent. Pine, dank and ultimately citrus finish. Smooth body.

garymuchow, drtth, Beersnake1 and 8 others like this.
  24. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (440) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

2016 Mocha Wednesday - Bottled Dec 2015 so just over 2.5 years old.

Nose is absolutely amazing. Tons of dark fruit.
    Tastes of plums, cinnamon, coffee, chocolate and bourbon. What's delightful is each of these flavors comes through very well after it warms. Served at 50F, which was too cold. Had to let it sit for a while.
    Mouthfeel is very thin. Almost like drinking a barleywine. I'm partial to the thicker side for stouts, so -1.
    Alcohol still present, both on the nose and on the tongue. I suppose that's no surprise at 19.4%.
    Overall, 4.25/5. Would like to see what another few years will do to this.

[​IMG]

25. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (451) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

2017 KBS

Poured into a DFH tulip I think the head was slightly smaller than when fresh. The barrel and booze smell is still prominent but is slightly more balanced in the taste along with the chocolate and malts. Still a very rewarding experience in the waning days of August. Still three left to consume and compare

garymuchow, drtth, strohme2 and 5 others like this.
  26. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Devotee (451) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Vintage Beers recommends 3-5 years as the optimum time for this so I hope you have some unconsumed ones.

27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,121) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

2015 bottling. From my review today:

"750 ml caged and corked bottle. 2015.

It pours pitch black, fine head of tan foam, good lacing.

The smell...if that is any indicator of the taste, I'm in for a treat. Bourbon and Brandy gently caressing my nose buds, roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, hint of coffee, dark pitted fruits, light on that but there. Sweet notes that are definitely not going to be cloying in the taste. A prediction.

Man the taste lives up to the smell and I was right aboot the sweet factor; mild and certainly NOT cloying.

Almost full bodied, lightly carbonated, the mouthfeel is a joy to experience.

Maybe my favourite new beer to me of the year. I'm so glad that this is in a large format bottle!!"

Could very well be my beer of the year .

garymuchow, drtth, 7irondave and 9 others like this.
  28. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

This is one of my favorite beers from Canada, although I haven't had it aged. Such an amazing taste.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. Beersnake1

Premium Trader

2013 Bigfoot. Nose is fantastic. Pine, wheat, citrus, toffee, leather. Taste still maintains a good amount of hoppy bitterness. It's really starting to evolve at this point, bridging a hoppy American barley wine with an English style. This is a great point, but I think 10 years is even better. I have a couple of 2005's that I plan to open soon. The taste has lots of resin, tree sap, hops, caramel, and fruity flavors. Overall, fantastic with some age.

[​IMG]

30. jmdrpi

Free Will Brown Beard dated March 2016, so almost 2.5 years old. Its a stronger version of their Coffee Oameal Brown ale then aged in rum barrels.

Pours a clear dark brown color , think cream colored head that fades to just a ring around the glass. Some lacing as I drink. Aroma is boozy rum, oak, vanilla, a bit of toffee. Similar flavor in the taste, but no alcohol heat. Thinner bodied. Overall good stuff
    [​IMG]

31. BenHoppy

Now that Better Half has hit the shelves in Michigan I felt it was time to crack open my Curmudgeon aged 20 months to compare to it. I wasn't a fan of Better Half but wow Curmudgeon the original turned into a totally different beer 20 months later:

Fresh I remember It with a caramel scotch like appearance that also has a scotch aroma with hinting flavors of scotch, oaky vanilla chips, molasses, and caramel that pairs especially well with a good cigar.

Now 20 months later I pour it into a snifter at cellar temp:

Tons of carbonation is left in the bottle, half the glass is filled with bubbly foam that quickly dissipates to a froth. It no longer looks like caramel scotch but it more so resembles a barley wine with its murky brown appearance.

The aroma is brown sugar, molasses barley wine malt with really no presence of scotch or oak. Almost resembles an English barley wine vs American barley wine

Now the flavors is the real kicker, instead of caramel, scotch, oaky vanilla flavors I get now strawberry raspberry molasses dipped in chocolate with hints of maple and vanilla. The oaky scotch flavors have faded away as I can't taste oak at all. This has now turned into an almost dessert beer and no I would not recommend it with a cigar, but having it fresh it definitely pairs well with a cigar. Where did the strawberry and raspberry flavors come from? This was the most interesting find I ever gotten from an aged beer. It had truly evolved into a different beer. Almost reminded me of a J.W. Lee barley wine for its complexity.

32. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (402) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I enjoy reading the reviews, so this isn't a knock at all. Everyone's palate's are different. That said, you get some pretty wild flavors sometimes. Strawberry Raspberry Molasses? Wow!

BenHoppy likes this.
  33. BenHoppy

Yeah it was mind blowing. My wife and I both shared and she said same thing about strawberries and raspberries dipped in chocolate. Never would have suspected it. Crazy thing is I got zero oak, nothing like what I had back in January of '17. I also have to say I'll have to buy this at every release just to have one fresh and age another for that 20 month sweet spot.

34. ns88

ns88 Initiate (54) Feb 26, 2011 Indiana

Anyone have any idea if Curmudgeon's Better Half will be a good candidate to age? And if so, around how long?

35. BenHoppy

I'm aging 3 as it was way too sweet fresh for my liking

36. BenHoppy

2 years aged Founders Dirty Bastard:

Smells of raisins, prunes, dates, licorice, and rum

Dark Dr. Pepper chocolate quad look with massive foamy cream head

Tastes of prunes, dates, chocolate licorice, rum soaked raisins. So much better than one year aged and actually might be better than fresh. Every sip is delightful.

37. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,971) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota

Batch 10,000
    Seems like quite a few Bell's beers this month. Why not go out in glory...I hope.
    Nice carbonation upon opening. Nice dense and creamy head. Nice creamy lacing too. Good looking head. Kinda' cloudy body in a dark liquid of brown and dark red.
    Initial sweet malt followed by some oxidation leaning towards cardboard. This stayed once it appeared. Some richness to the malt background. Minimal hops.
    Much less oxidation in the taste. Rich malt with a very nice nearly full creamy body.
    Hints of cardboard and more hops here. Not bitter but a few light hits mixed with a herbal hop taste.
    Mixed overall. Appearance and body are still quite nice. Fair amount of oxidation, more in aroma than taste, but both are not a pleasing type with more cardboard than sherry notes.
    I think I have one left. I think I hit it sooner than later.

Bitterbill and BenHoppy like this.
  38. jmdrpi

2015 Troegs BBA Flying Mouflan. This batch was amazing fresh, and it's still great. Very dark brown, tan head that fades. Huge wonderful aroma of vanilla, raisin, oak, toffee. Taste is similar rich malty and bourbon flavors, but not sweet. Medium bodied, lower carbonation.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.