Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

August Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by PGHbeer77, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genuinedisciple

genuinedisciple Jan 10, 2010 Michigan

Just had this at a recent tasting. I fully agree with this review. I just found a couple bottles, grabbed um', and they're drinking mighty fine. I also landed a couple bottles of the 30th anny imperial stout as well. Anyone know how that's drinking?

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Beer Trader

2009 Odell Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Damn it pours nice; great head of foam with great retention and lots of lacing. The Bourbon still dominates the smell but in the taste, it's calmed down and I can taste some other goodies like chocolate and sweet malt. What a brew to sit back with and read BA. Marvelous!

3. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Apr 18, 2009 Colorado

I opened one last week and was amazed at how hoppy it still is. Not a bad thing at all. Best bottle so far.

4. N3ptune

N3ptune Jun 17, 2012 Virginia

Currently drinking an 07 DFH 120...no bueno. Something isn't right here.

5. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I drank a bottle earlier in the week and I am also seriously surprised at just how hoppy that 10' nemesis still is...Dang!

6. BeerThursdays

BeerThursdays Feb 28, 2010 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Drank Tart of Darkness 2011 and 2012 side by side. 2011 seemed to have a bit less "sour" characteristic, and a bit more of a roasted malt/chocolate taste.​

7. Etan

Etan Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Had a GI Nightstalker from February 2011 a couple nights ago (thanks Otrejo!):

A: Pours a very dark brown with some red highlights, with a light brown head.
    S: Sweet dark fruit, subtle chocolate, mild aging hop notes (apple, caramel).
    T: Smokey roasted malts, mildly fruity old hop notes, thick chocolate and raw herbal leaf. The bitter and sweet chocolate notes complement the old hoppy herbal element well, and the fruitiness comes out as it warms.
    M: Between medium and thick-bodied with slight carbonation.
    O: Aging has done this beer some good - it's tasting pretty great right now. Open a bottle if you have one.

garymuchow and Bitterbill like this.
  8. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

I'm curious, do you think that's from the aging or were there actually differences between the two batches? Because I just cracked opened a fresh 2012 one and I found it to be almost intolerably sour. In fact the sour was so strong it seemed to overpower everything else.

I'm no stranger to sour beers (I live a couple minutes from Cascade Brewing) but I still found that I was not prepared for that level of sour. Given it's fairly high BA rating, I'm almost wondering if I just got a bad bottle or something.

9. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

100% 1983 Dirty Horse. Absolutely gorgous. Full bodied with plenty of cherry flavors. Highly reccomended.

Gargamel: Ugh... Man this beer is past it's prime. It tastes very different from the fresh bottles I have tried. This was a world class whale.... not so much any more.

10. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

Will open my first and only sometime this week, thanks to you. Looking forward to it!

YaKnowBrady and Pahn like this.
  11. ehammond1

ehammond1 Jul 4, 2008

I have a feeling this is more bottle variation than anything else. I've had both more than half-a-dozen times, and sometimes the batch 1 bottles are far more sour, sometimes the batch 2 bottles are far more roasty and stout-esque, if you will. And vice versa. Overall, I think I prefer batch 1, but both are similarly terrific.

YaKnowBrady and salzar like this.
  12. Brez07

Brez07 Sep 29, 2009 Maine

Agreed. Popped one last weekend. Aged wonderfully and loved that it still had a slight piney hop edge to it

Etan likes this.
  13. bootlegger1929

bootlegger1929 Jul 17, 2010 Illinois

As I read this thread I am missing my 4 cases of Cellar beers that are stuck in PA until mid-september until I can get them out to Chicago. Drink on fellow Cellar-ers!

14. WorldWideStout

WorldWideStout Jan 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Tart of Darkness should not be getting less sour over time. I remember having the 2011 fairly fresh and it had a nice balance of malts and tartness.

15. StaveHooks

StaveHooks Nov 18, 2008 Oklahoma

Kasteel Cuvée Du Chateau 2010

11.2oz Belgian style bottle.
    2010 Vintage

A - A hard pour reveals a ruddy dark brown colored body with little to no head. A jumbo bubbled collar forms with small whisps of islands in the middle.

S - Soured red figs, tart and sugary, cold sticky dates, Belgian candy syrup, brown sugar, sugary caramel, dirty cardboard sweetness. A tartness keeps coming up and envelops the fruity aroma mid drink, but the deep malt base overtakes everything in the end.

T - Spicy caramel malts, dark bread fresh out of the oven, brown sugar, molasses, not as much fruit as the nose describes, somewhat fruity though, figs are the dominate fruit along side raisins, and dates. Oxidation is present in the form of dry caramel. There's grape and raisin flavor that melds together very well. Old and deep sugary malts. Strong spicy components really kick in middle to end, creating a dry finish to to a sugary malted base.

M - Thick and viscous feel, (like a thickened prune juice), low carbonation with a small and tight stingy feel on the tongue.

Very dense and caramelized flavors with a thick and sugary body. This drinks very elegant. The finish really shines due to the swift and spicy dryness. I haven't had this fresh but this is drinking excellent for the year. Lots of spicy malt laced with sugary fruit. I picture myself drinking this in a tux with a cuban cigar after dinner. Really glad I cracked this. I just wish I had another one to hold onto for a few more years.

Serving type: bottle

16. merc7186

merc7186 Dec 5, 2010 New York

Its not you...I recently did the Provisions release along with the 2012 Bruery release and found the original to be more balanced, less sour than the more recent versions too.

17. M27

M27 Sep 25, 2010 New Jersey

2008 ten fidy still holding up nicely

18. hopswap1

hopswap1 Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Bought a mix a six from a local liquor store and discovered later one of the founders porters was from 2011. What an amazing surprise, it was really great! So smooth and chocolaty. I actually liked it better than fresh. Might go back and buy up the rest of them so I don't have to wait 2 years to cellar some.

19. birchstick

birchstick Sep 2, 2007 Colorado

Had an '11 BCBS bottled 11/11/11. Not much of a deep cellar pull, but wow, I am going out on a limb and saying it is by far the best straight up BCBS I have ever had (having had all of the '07 - '12 vintages fresh & aged several times).

20. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Sep 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

recently drank an 09...blew the freshy completely out of the water. imo this improves drastically after 2-3 yrs.

21. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Today alone:

2009 Deschutes Mirror Mirror (draft): Very nice. Fuck the bottle and the infection issues. Not on draft, no worries. Velvety and silky smooth with a nice subtle booze bite. The finish is still a bit sweet with heat, I would say this could go for another 2-3 years....

2004 Rogue Old Crusty: Oxidized, grainy, still a bit of booze. A lot of the piney hop edge has drastically curbed but very present. Near undrinkable. Purchased at Bottleworks and stored at primetime conditions.

2010 Boulder Killer Penguin: No oxidation here. This vintage is going stronger and cleaner than previous years(esp 2008). The carbonation was great and the appearance was beautiful. Lots of floaters here. Plenty of piney and citrus hop notes and bread coated with caramel. Doing good.

2009 Moylans Old Blarney: Peak performance here. A nice grainy undertone with remnants of past its prime piney hops. Some old citrus hop notes. A bit of breadiness to it. No oxidation but thinning for sure. No major diacetyl or off flavors. Drink em now.

danimalthegreat likes this.
  22. atypic

atypic Apr 8, 2011 North Carolina

Nothing too exciting:

Deschutes Black Butte XXIV - aged really nicely over a year, this one is ready to go.

1 year old Alesmith Speedway Stout - this one improved significantly, and it was good already. It reminded us of a barrel aged coffee stout. With the price, I think this beer is one of the best cellar values.

danimalthegreat likes this.
  23. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Drank a 2011 Parabola last night. Absolutely flawless and perfect in every way. Amazing beer.

24. HighWine

HighWine Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Cigar City Big Sound (bourbon barrel) was awesome this weekend. Not hot but just sweet, yummy goodness. I had it side by side with Lost Abbey Angels Share. I was expecting to like the Angels Share a lot more but it wasn't even close. Big Sound was the best of the weekend (which also included CCB Imperial Sweet Stout aged in Cognac barrels).

25. maximum12

maximum12 Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

2010 Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout

This beer is perfect with two years on it; that seems to be the sweet spot. With three years, it's just beginning to head over the hill, going from perfect to simply excellent. The roast has gained an edge of ash, & the barrel is beginning to tire a touch. Still better than 94% of barrel-aged stouts out there, but I'll keep it to two years on the beer from here on out.

26. dsal89

dsal89 Jul 6, 2008 Indiana

jelly.

I hug the nuts of hotd hard

27. kevwcamp

kevwcamp May 13, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

2011 Arctic Devil. The master disapproves. Drinkable but clearly oxidized, a shadow of its former self. It was properly cellared too. I don't know if it's bottle variation because it was my last one and it's probably been a year since I had this vintage, but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

28. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

please save me one, please! :(

29. jokemon

jokemon Apr 3, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

older BCBS > newer

too chocolaty now, needs more booze!

30. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Apr 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had a 2012 BCBS last night that was amazing, definitely settled down a bit, but still hot. I'm fairly new to the craft beer scene and cellaring, this was the first beer I ever cellared when I picked up two four packs last fall. I have 4 bottles left, looking forward to this year's release to do a side by side comparison sometime.

https://vine.co/v/heHVuvnmu1H

31. Aml42000

Aml42000 Jul 21, 2011 Washington

I rearranged the cellar about a month ago & found some shelf stouts that I wasn't sure should have been cellared in the first place. So, moved them to my IPA fridge & have them in rotation to drink soon. Had the first over the weekend.

Left Hand Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout- 22 oz, drank over two nights sealed w/ a locking Champagne cap.

Bottled 4-2-12

Smelled like rich baker's chocolate. Very deep. This showed plenty of roasted character & had a creamy texture. A bit boozy, but easy to sip & enjoy. The finish lingered, any hops are obviously faded. A pleasant surprise that it held up so well.

32. atypic

atypic Apr 8, 2011 North Carolina

Couple more:

Three year old Cascade Kriek - Still a delight. Definitely the cherry has faded some, so it's changed, but not for the worse. It was overall just as strong a beer as always.

Two year old Bruery Melange No. 3 - Honestly this one seems just about the same as fresh, maybe a bit sweeter. It's still a phenomenon, just not a cellar transformation.

33. garymuchow

garymuchow Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

SA Old Ben Ale 2010

End of the month. I need to get an August review done before this month has passed me by.
    First off congrats to Michael Robinson who brewed a beer good enough to be brewed by a major player. Other than going professional, a homebrewers dream, I would think.
    Still holds a nice aroma. Sweet malty, a little sugary, faint perfume of alcohol. Only the faintest hints of any hops.
    Plenty of bubbles still that eventually leaves a fine thin layer of tan bubbles.
    Just getting a touch of aging, that, unfortunately leans more towards carboard than sherry like notes. Warm. More hops here. Still thick and kinda' chewy.
    Overall, still a good drinking old ale, however, it may age out before too long.
    "See" you all next month with another addition from the cellar. :)

34. errantnight

errantnight Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Stone Old Guardian 2011
    Blech. There've been a few years of this beer that have been good, and I'm a sucker for the brewery, but I'm about done with this beer. This sample is heavily oxidized (lots of wet paper) while still managing to be mind-bendingly harsh and bitter. It's basically oxidation then bitter. Oxidation, bitter. At least over time the bitterness becomes more predominate? A drinkable chore when fresh, this just isn't good anymore.

Stone Belgo Old Guardian 2011
    Makes the regular version taste like sweet nectar from the gods. Drain poured.

35. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Enjoying what I guess is a 2010 Oerbier right now. It's just amazing how this beer changes with some oxidation. The fusels that are present when it's younger somehow meld into barrel type vanilla and tannic flavors. Love this beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe