August Schell Berliner Weisse

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mothman, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (7,043) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Introducing the Noble Star Collection

New Ulm, MN. February 26, 2013 - August Schell Brewing Company is set to release “The Star of the North” this summer—the first in a lineup of specialty beers called The Noble Star Collection.
    Envisioned by Brewmaster Jace Marti, The Noble Star Collection will showcase unique and innovative beers based on the Berliner Weisse style. This traditional German style beer is nearly extinct, but a natural fit for the August Schell Brewing Company which prides itself on brewing using traditional methods. A Berliner Weisse is tart and effervescent, produced via a mixed fermentation of yeast, lactic acid bacteria and brettanomyces, with the latter two being authentic strains imported directly from Berlin. The beer will undergo a long, slow secondary fermentation in a cypress wood tank, where the porous nature of the wood will allow the defining characteristics of the beer to develop. All the beers will be bottle-conditioned in hand-filled cork and caged champagne bottles, where the flavors will continue to develop and evolve over time.
    Marti used a special piece of Schell’s history to create The Noble Star Collection. In 1936, just three years after prohibition ended, the Schell’s brewery expanded to keep up with demand. With the expansion came a new lagering cellar and 10 new 140-barrel cypress wood lagering tanks built by Dunk Tank Works in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The tanks were constructed with two-inch thick wooden staves that were hand-cut from old growth, southern Cypress trees.
    Prized for their extremely dense grain and neutral flavor contribution, these tanks were then lined with pitch to prevent the beer from contacting the wood. For the next 55 years, these tanks yielded countless barrels of Schell’s beer before being retired in 1991. Two years later, eight of the cypress tanks were removed from the cellar and replaced with modern, stainless steel tanks. The two remaining tanks sat dormant until 2008, when extensive restoration work began in an attempt to revive one of them. Five years later, the tank is ready to once again hold Schell’s beer, though this time in an entirely new way.
    The Star of the North will be available this summer in 750ml bottles.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b97c1fd0f01e3a15f7e1faa72&id=cbdf46f563
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, please!

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (620) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Posted about this in the "Beer Releases" section. Can't wait for these beers from Schell's!!

I also made a thread a while back about beer styles I wish that breweries made more of and Berliner Weisse was the style in particular I mentioned. I am guessing this is gonna be awesome.

tgchief and Rob-P like this.
  3. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,913) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

4. herman77

herman77 Meyvn (1,215) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Only had a Berliner Weiss once and it was just a few weeks ago at Cigar City. It was made with kumquats, so I don't know how much of that had an influence on the taste. It was very interesting, but good. Unlike any other sour/wild yeast beer I've had before.

5. accordselux

accordselux Initiate (198) Nov 26, 2007 Minnesota

Definitely like Berliner Weiss. Will buy.

6. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

News from New Ulm keeps getting better and better!

7. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Initiate (105) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

sounds awesome, but i was really hoping this would be in 6 packs, how great would that have been

BuckettOfBeer, Rob-P and accordselux like this.
  8. accordselux

accordselux Initiate (198) Nov 26, 2007 Minnesota

At least 4 packs. I'd rather have 12 oz servings. Perfect on a summer day after yard work!

pmccallum86 likes this.
  9. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

All this from a "crafty" brewery...:rolling_eyes: (Charlie P still sucks in my book)

Ungertaker, BrettHead and hardy008 like this.
  10. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (1,807) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota

I can't wait to try this.

11. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

12. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Zealot (552) Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

Sounds awesome but as mentioned above I'd prefer Berliner Weiss in 4 or 6 packs

13. Beerbelly22

Beerbelly22 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2012 Minnesota

Can't wait to try this. Congrats!

14. BuckettOfBeer

BuckettOfBeer Initiate (138) Mar 19, 2010 Minnesota

Ditto on 6 packs. This is one of the sour styles that I actually like so this is pretty exciting. Schells is stepping their game up!

15. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Oh fuck yeah.

16. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

very cool! crafty my ass...

17. Philly82785

Philly82785 Aspirant (201) Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

I'm looking forward to a big bottle series of Schells

18. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Initiate (198) Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

1. Psyched for this.

2. I believe the first stag series, barrel aged schmaltz's alt, was in large bottles. Bombers? Not sure if they were C & C though.

19. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (119) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Had my last one a few weeks ago. They were bombers, but not C&C.

20. mothman

Trader

Still have one or two of these left! Bombers indeed.

Looking for a stag series Rauchbeir if anybody has one. Please!!!

21. Bond111

Bond111 Initiate (175) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota

I'm looking forward to trying my first Berliner Weisse, & have high hopes for it, & the series in general.

22. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,333) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Purity Brewing puts out a Berliner Weiss that is brewed at Brau Brothers if I am not mistaken. More people should give it a try.

I am impressed that Schell's is letting bugs in the brewery. What is next?

23. supercolter

supercolter Crusader (781) Apr 19, 2006 Wisconsin
    Trader

This will be the first Schells product I have purchased since the initial run of Nordeast... would you say Schell's is breaking out of their ...... well you get it. Bad pun.

24. mothman

Trader

you have been missing out on a lot of great beers. I feel sorry for you.

25. deadbody

deadbody Aspirant (246) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

You need to go buy some Schells right now, Emerald Rye is amazing, Chimney Sweep is good I hear. If all your think they are is grain belt and nordeast you are selling them super short.

26. supercolter

Trader

Fair enough- to each their own. However, I did say "purchased" not "tasted"... I have had the opportunity to taste the majority of their beers either at festivals or tastings, with the exception of any recent batches of Snowstorm (which I haven't bothered with since 2006 as I thought it was really messy), Emerald Rye, and Chimney Sweep. If I were to purchase anything, it would be the Hopfenmalz, Hefeweizen and maybe the Pils. The rest of the styles don't particularly excite me or I found overly sweet for what they were. I'll go pick up some Chimney Sweep and Emerald Rye on the recommendation though.

27. deadbody

deadbody Aspirant (246) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

I really liked the Hopfenmalz but I found it to be one of those things you either enjoyed or didn't not a ton of in between.

supercolter likes this.
  28. supercolter

Trader

My experience also... pretty polarizing one. Clean hop flavors ftw according to my palate.

29. Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 Minnesota

+2

30. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Zealot (593) Nov 24, 2009 California

Fuck. Yes.

I'm having a schells renaissance. Schells pils? Yeah, gimme more. The new Barleywine? Pile it on. Chimney sweep? I'll take a few six packs. Emerald rye? bargain! Berlinnewiesse? I'll take 3.

31. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

I need some! Don't forget your neighbors to the south :slight_smile: I like BW's!

Surlytime and BrettHead like this.
  32. mattafett

mattafett Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 Iowa

In to win!

33. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (620) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

If this is anywhere near a true German Berliner Weisse (Friegeist Abraxxxas is what comes to mind) I will be one happy dude!

34. SourNotes

SourNotes Initiate (133) Nov 10, 2010 Minnesota

I like this thread

35. mothman

Trader

where the hell have you been?

timenjoysbeer likes this.
  36. SourNotes

SourNotes Initiate (133) Nov 10, 2010 Minnesota

in my basement

37. ben4bier

ben4bier Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Minnesota

The only two bw's I've had are bell's om an pour decision. Which would be closer to authentic

38. herman77

herman77 Meyvn (1,215) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Oh yeah, forgot about Bells Oarsman.

39. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Zealot (593) Nov 24, 2009 California

Oarsman is NOT a berlinerwiess. The PD is close to traditional, fritz 1809 is probably the most accurate one you can find.

Ejayz likes this.
  40. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

The 1809 is delightful

Ejayz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.