Austin To-Dos

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by jus10savestheday, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jus10savestheday

jus10savestheday Devotee (337) Dec 23, 2011 South Carolina

Hey guys! I'm travelling to Austin for a week to attend a conference and I was looking for some recommendations on food and beer.

I'm staying at the JW Marriott so something near there would be preferable. I also plan on using Uber so I can go beyond walking distance. Would you guys recommend getting a metrobus pass for the week? I'm spending most of my day at the convention center which I know is within walking distance to the Marriott, so I would only use it to get out.

For food, my number one want is BBQ. I'm from SC so I'm used to pulled pork but I'd like to see what TX has to offer. I was in KC early this summer and had some of the best brisket I've ever had so I'd like to top that.

Are there any particular food trucks worth chasing?

I'd also like to get some good Mexican and a good burger while I'm there.

As far as beer is concerned, I'm mainly looking for good bottle shops, again, hopefully somewhere near the Marriott. As mentioned, I'm not against taking an Uber if it means getting to a top notch shop.

Lastly, any particular local options I should look out for? I enjoy most styles so I'm not picky in that regard.

Sorry for the length of the post and thanks! Cheers!

2. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (1,182) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Good questions about food, they might not have been answered in other posts.
    However, have you searched the Southwest forum? There are some umbrella posts about visiting Austin, because this question gets asked ~weekly. Look at those posts for beer advice, or use the BA place guide to look up Austin breweries and see which ones interest you.

BBQ-wise, don't bother with Salt Lick. I've had success showing out of state people other good places closer to town (and Uberable or walkable).
    Here are a few BBQ names: Kerlin (byob, I hear the owner dabbles in beer), Rudy's (sort line at the Mopac/360 location), Franklin's (show up early, drink in line), La BBQ (haven't been), Mueller (I'm not knowledgeable).

If you can trade off time for saving money, I'd recommend a bus pass for a week (that includes Metrorapid if possible). It'll help you get around, and to places like Draughthouse Pub, Pinthouse Pizza, NxNW, Sunrise (part bottle shop), Whichcraft (true bottle shop), Austin Beerworks, Hopfields, and more. Capmetro.org has bus lines and schedules.

However, you're within walking or cheap Uber distance (1 mi) of other great places like Whole Foods, Hops & Grain, Rainey Street, WhichCraft, East 1st Grocery.

jus10savestheday likes this.
  3. sethsticles

sethsticles Crusader (413) May 6, 2014 California
    Trader

This is your best bet, OP. WhichCraft is a dedicated bottle shop while East 1st Grocery is a craft beer gas station. You'd find plenty of selection at either.

I would go to John Mueller's for BBQ. His (tiny) shack is about a block from Hops & Grain and a few blocks from Zilker Brewing Co. Fun fact: Aaron Franklin used to work for Mueller. Another fun fact: la BBQ used to be Mueller's until his sister fired him, renamed it and hired one of Franklin's pitmasters. So incestuous.

Rainey Street has lots of craft beer including Craft Pride which is all Texas craft.

There are other threads discussing burgers. I like Hopdoddy's.

For TexMex I would do Trudy's. Interior Mexican food vote goes to Polvo's or if you're feeling fancy or have a high per diem then go to Manuel's.

And get some Amy's ice cream.

4. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2013 Texas
    Deactivated

I'll add that right now there have been some Jester King's making it out to bottle shops recently. These are very much worth getting.

jus10savestheday likes this.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

As someone that gets to Austin a few times a year and likes BBQ, my $0.02.

Franklin BBQ is the best for brisket, but the wait can be too long. Get in line about 9:00'AM on a weekday. Some good sides and you can get beer if you wish.

John Mueller BBQ has brisket almost as good, and I like his sausage links better than those at Franklin. No line the 2 times I have been, picnic tables under a tent kind of place. Can't remember the beer situation.

Bangers on Rainey St. has artisanal sausages and 100 or so taps.

Edit, you will be close to the Gingerman at Lavaca and Third. Good for a nightcap. Usually have Live Oak beers on tap.

6. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Franklin and J. Mueller are both great, but a little far for you to walk. La BBQ is within walking distance of your hotel, and well worth it. Terry Black's on Barton Springs is pretty fantastic too, and you can walk in any time without much of a line.

I dont know much about the food truck scene, but I'd recommend East Side King. There are multiple locations around town - both trailers and brick&mortar - and its fantastic. I'd also recommend you check out Cuvee Coffee (and they fill crowlers!) if you have a chance. Lots of the other good stuff has already been covered in here.

Good luck! Austin is a great town

7. Persdawg

Persdawg Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Mueller is closed for some kind of inspection thing. He has a sign up saying that "he's pissed too."
    Tried to go today.
    And then la bbq had 30+ people in line at 3:30 today.
    After the atrial battle at JK today...no way I was waiting.

So I ended up at Micklethwait's.
    When I got there, there was no line, but they had literally 1 minute before just sold their last rib.
    All they had left was Thai sausage...but it was ridiculous.
    If that's an indication of their other stuff...I plan on going here first (and earlier) next time down.

8. satxbrew

satxbrew Aspirant (204) Jun 13, 2011 Texas

I live in San Antonio, but make it up to Austin a couple times a year for BBQ and beer. The places I recommend have good meat and may or may not have good sauce. I went to Kansas City this summer and was very disappointed in the brisket at Joes and Authur Bryant's. It tasted like good roast beef and needed the sauce to taste like BBQ. I did not try the burn ends though.

Last year we went to LA BBQ for lunch and then stood in line at Franklin's later in the afternoon. The line was much shorter, and they still had lean brisket, sausage and turkey. The brisket at both places was amazing. Ribs were good at LA, but they came pre-sauced and I did not care for the sauce. The meat was excellent once the sauce was gone.

Micklethwait's had excellent, meaty pork spare ribs, but that was all they had when I went there around 4:00. Their beef ribs are excellent from what I have read, but I have not had the chance to try them. Franklin's, LA BBQ, and Micklethwait's are all within a 5 minute drive of each other.

I have not been to Mueller's in Austin, but my BBQ foodie friends say skip it. He cooks fast and hot instead of low and slow. Mueller's in Taylor, TX has amazing beef ribs. I am talking 2Lb short ribs on the bone that are so juicy and tender they jiggle as you walk to your seat. They have a great salt and pepper rub and have less solid fat and more marbling than brisket. It is probably 45 minutes from your hotel though.

Beer--I like hoppy pilseners so Austin Beer Work's Pearl Snap Pils and Real Ale's Han's Pils are excellent. Live Oak Pils was an amazing Czech Pils when it first came out, but it has lost a lot of its character over the years. Live Oak Hefe-Weizen and Liberation IPA are excellent. The IPA is more well balanced than your standard California hop bomb IPAs. There are so many new breweries popping up in Austin, I can't keep track. Jester King beers are mostly amazing, but most have some level of funk so if you don't like wild beers you may be disappointed. The Black Metal Imperial Stout and Noble King IPA are my favorites and usually don't have a wild character. I tried their saison last week, and it was nice, with a lemony brettanomyces character. I can't remember the name of it though. Have a good trip.

#8 satxbrew, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

If the Muellers is high and fast, that explains why I rank Franklins better.

I have tried Pearl Snap twice. Once may have been bad lines. Tried it again at at Craft Pride and it just seemed insipid, not much character. Do I have the courage to try it again?

Too bad about the Love Oak Pilz, that used to stellar. A few 6 packs of Hans Pils are bought when I am at the BIL's, as Shiner Bock only goes so far with me.

10. Gunch52

Gunch52 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Franklin for sure

11. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 Texas

This is definitely not the case for the latest batch of Black Metal. Its a straight up Sour stout.

synergy7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.