Autumn Ales?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BeerKangaroo, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

I know I'm new to this Northwest region of BA, but the only brews I've seen for Autumn have been pumpkin ales. Good stuff from what I've had but what about any other Autumn seasonals, any ESB's, saisons, brown ales, etc? "Bueller....Bueller..."

If Anchor (and that's comin' from CA) can send their Autumn Maple Red up, what's up with the rest of the Northwest?

Cheers.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,814) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

It's not going to help you at all, but... Boundary Bay changed the recipe on their "Harvest Ale" a couple years ago. It used to be sort of like a Brown Ale, they now call it "Harvest Rye", and I'd say it's more like a smooth Amber, with a slight tang. They've been offering a Fresh Hop version at the brewery recently (and, a few kegs may have made it South. Or not, I don't know) that's pretty nice. All that said, in WA/OR, "Harvest beers" can probably generally be considered the Fresh Hop brews that have been around the last 6-8 weeks. Some get bottled, you could probably set up a trade pretty easily.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  3. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Hey, thanx, that's what I was lookin' for, not sure if I can find it up here yet.

4. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,938) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Yup mostly Fresh Hop ales and very local and very short lived.
    I cant recall 'Autumn" or "Fall" ales being traditional to the PNW scene.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

When does Auld Acquaintance come out? I feel that as more of a fall thing than a winter warmer.

6. PDX_dennis

PDX_dennis Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Oregon

Bridgeport has their Witch Hunt, which is a non-pumpkin spiced harvest ale. I haven't been impressed by it, but you could give it a try.

7. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Devotee (446) Dec 13, 2009 Alaska

Denali Brewing Co. has a couple out now -- a Slow Down Brown and an Autumn seasonal, but I think both are only available on draft.

Last year, Arkose made a Cajun Moon IBA (India Brown Ale) that was great, but they seem to have replaced it this year with a Rye IPA.

Not from the NW obviously, but SN Tumbler is not bad and widely available in town (and it won't be back next year).

My experience is that the local brewers tend to focus mainly on O-fest and Pumpkin-themed brews during the September-October time frame as far as what you might normally expect as an Autumn seasonal.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  8. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Yeah, I think that's what my point was. I haven't found much yet and was wondering, maybe its just not a PNW thing yet or ever. No worries, thanx to all for the feedback.

Oh that and the fact that the winter ales are already out. Don't get me wrong, I'll drink the heck outa Celebration and Anchor's Christmas, but its not even Halloween yet. No worries though. Good feedback was what I was looking for.

9. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

I haven't seen Arkose down here in SE Alaska yet, unless I'm unaware where its sold. Think one of the growler stores I go to is getting T.R.E.A.T. and am very looking forward to getting that one.

Yes, I will miss Tumbler next year, and I think its already gone around here.

Thanx.

10. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oregon

If you see Fire Mountains hangman winter ale, get it! Yum

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  11. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Thanx.

12. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

What brewing company?

13. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,115) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Pike

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  14. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Thanx, I've seen some Pike up here, but actually not that one, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

15. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Initiate (101) Sep 28, 2009 Washington

Pike Auld Acquaintance is out! Just had some at the brewery last week, was delicious on cask!

16. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (516) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I believe that Hale's O'Brien's Harvest Ale is still a autumn release.

17. BeerKangaroo

Deactivated

Hopin' to see that up here soon!

Unfamiliar with Hale's, as I don't think I've seen anything in SE AK area, I will check seekabrew.

Thanx, appreciate your assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.