Averagely Perfect Dubbel - Poll #19 - Mash Length

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Apr 26, 2018.

?

What should be the recommended mash length?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2018.
  1. 30 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 45 minutes

7.4%
  3. 60 minutes

55.6%
  4. 75 minutes

22.2%
  5. 90 minutes

14.8%
  6. Other (write it in)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

-> Poll #18 <- determined that the recommended Mash Temperature will be 152F.

This poll will determine recommended Mash Length. This will be "recommended" because YMMV when it comes to making a wort with the attenuability needed to hit this recipe's numbers, so some may need different mash parameters. That said, the recommended mash length will be at least a starting place for less experienced brewers.

I recommend you think about this in terms of the parameters needed to hit apparent attenuation between 81% and 82% with the fermentables, yeast strain, and mash temperature already selected.

When this poll is done, I will look at the data a few different ways to determine the central tendency. It may or may not be as simple as a plurality would indicate. There may or may not be a runoff. It all depends on the data.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via beermail. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently.

The Averagely Perfect Dubbel Recipe so far...

Target ABV: 7.0%
    OG: 1.065
    FG: 1.012
    Yeast: Wyeast 3787 or WLP530
    Mash Temperature (recommended): 152F
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%

Grains/Fermentables:
    ---Belgian Pilsner Malt (86%)
    ---D-90 Syrup (8%)
    ---Caramunich (4% Total)
    ---Special B (2%)

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,927) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Well it looks like this is shaping up. I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

Also, I think everything I voted for won out in the end. That doesn't make me smart, it just means that I'm on-board with almost everyone else.

All I need now is my yeast, and time to brew!

3. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (223) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Don't think we'll get attenuation FG without 90 minutes or overnight...

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,927) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've never heard of anyone mashing overnight unless it was a sour mash beer. Is this something that I've missed?

5. dmtaylor

To expound upon my previous comment (which was typed on my damned cell phone, and now I'm at a computer):

I think 90 minutes will be enough for most people. HOWEVER, IF the crush is shitty, then an overnight mash would also not be out of the question. Depends on how well you crush your grains IMHO. I crush mine very hard. Does everyone do that? No.

Personally over the past 11 or 12 years I have mashed almost every batch for just 40-45 minutes, which is "good enough" for me. However in cases like this one, based on my experience with this yeast strain, I know 45 definitely wouldn't cut it to achieve the goals, and 60 probably wouldn't either, and thus I've arrived at 90. I'm concerned that everyone will say "60" because "that's what I always do and it turns out fine". While I believe that's true, I also believe there's a "risk" of low attenuation / high FG / low ABV... for anyone who gives a crap. If you don't, you don't. Most people probably don't. But if you do, then I suggest deeper consideration of the variables, vice just saying "60" because that's what you always do.

In the end, I don't *really* care that much. Don't know if I'll actually brew this anyway. I'm just providing food for thought.

6. Soneast

Soneast Champion (830) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

Maybe everybody is choosing 60 minutes because all the "homebrew celebrities" say that that is adequate? :stuck_out_tongue:

7. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,378) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I tend to overnight mash, but more out of convenience and personal tastes than anything else. Mash in a little high, go to bed, vorlauf and sparge. I like beers on the dry side anyhow.

dmtaylor likes this.
  8. dmtaylor

"Quite pozzibly," said the man who enjoys clear sparkling refreshing Zima.

Soneast likes this.
  9. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I voted 75 thinking the longer mash would help, but it’s just a knee jerk reaction and not a calculated decision. The recipe looks good enough to brew, So far. The details of mash length and temp are minor nuances. The remaining ways I can think of to mess this up are fermentation temp and hops. And we’re not gonna dry hop with chinook.

10. VikeMan

Society

That would be f*cking amateur hour. 10 points to anyone who gets that (BA homebrew forum) reference.

11. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I was planning on making a strong push for a Citra/Mosaic whirlpool. I'm telling you, NE Dubbels are the next hipster rage.

Eggman20, MrOH, Buck89 and 3 others like this.
  12. VikeMan

Society

Median and Mode: 60
    Mean: Closest to 60

60 minutes it is.

13. dmtaylor

Naw... I can't believe it. :wink:

14. VikeMan

Society