Averagely Perfect Dubbel - Poll #30 - Temperature at Pitching

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, May 20, 2018.

?

What should the wort temperature be when the yeast is pitched (bottom of ramp)?

Poll closed May 22, 2018.
  1. 61F

5.3%
  2. 62F

10.5%
  3. 63F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 64F

5.3%
  5. 65F

21.1%
  6. 66F

26.3%
  7. 67F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 68F

21.1%
  9. 69F

5.3%
  10. 70F

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

-> Poll #29 <- determined that the basic fermentation temperature profile will be a ramp, i.e. pitch at "X" degrees, allow to free rise (and/or increase with temperature control) to temperature "Y" over a period of "Z" days.

This poll will determine the wort temperature at pitching. If you want a temperature not listed, write it in. When this poll is done, I will look at the data a few different ways to determine the central tendency. It may or may not be as simple as a plurality would indicate. There may or may not be a runoff. It all depends on the data.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via beermail. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently. Lobbying for votes and intelligent discussion of each choice's relative merits is encouraged.

The Averagely Perfect Dubbel Recipe so far...

5 Gallons into the fermenter
    Target ABV: 7.0%
    OG: 1.065
    FG: 1.012
    IBUs: 24 (Tinseth)
    Yeast: Wyeast 3787 or WLP530
    Mash (recommended): 60 Minutes @ 152F
    Assumed Mash Efficiency: 70%
    Boil Length (recommended): 60 minutes
    Fermentation Profile: Ramp (temps and ramp time TBD)

Grains/Fermentables:
    ---Belgian Pilsner Malt (86%)
    ---D-90 Syrup (8%)
    ---Caramunich (4% Total)
    ---Special B (2%)

Hops:
    60 minutes: Styrian Goldings (1.2 ounces, 5% AA)
    10 minutes: Styrian Goldings (0.5 ounces, 5% AA)

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,934) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I voted 70 as I think this beer should be fermented at about 72F. If my memory serves me correctly fermenting at 68F was OK, but I felt it could give more and started using it at 72F. Can anyone chime in on that? I'm looking for some additional fruitiness, but will 72F give it too much spiciness?

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (729) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

When I used 3787 for a Belgian Golden at 72 it was big fruit bomb with higher alcohols that needed to age out. I prefer mid 60s to start and finish in low to mid 70s.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,940) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Jim, I brew with Wyeast 3787 a lot, it is my yeast strain of choice for producing Trappist/Abbey style beers (e.g., Dubbel, Tripel, Quad…).

For my palate the ‘sweet spot’ for this yeast is 72-73 degrees F. At that temperature this strain produces a glorious combination of fruity flavors (esters) and spicy flavors (phenols).

A number of years ago I did ferment a Dubbel at 68 degrees F and I was not enamored with this batch; it was too flavor neutral for me.

Cheers!

P.S. I have never experienced elevated levels of higher alcohols in the numerous batches that I fermented at 72-73 degrees F.

NeroFiddled likes this.
  5. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Thanks Jack, that's exactly what I thought, and in that case I'd just pitch at 72, I see no need to start lower and let it rise.

6. JackHorzempa

Society

Jim, that is exactly what I do and I am very pleased with the results.

Cheers!

7. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

Obviously a different opinion. Fruit I can see, that's dependent on the perception of the taster, but I never had any higher alcohols with it. Roughly the same gravity and amount of sugar, correct? I'll have to consider it though.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

Jim, from the Wyeast website:

“Temperature Range: 64 – 78”

Maybe if you fermented at 78 degrees (and above) higher alcohols may be an issue?

I have brewed a lot of batches (30+) with Wyeast 3787 in the lower 70’s and I have never had higher alcohol issues.

I suppose that if you underpitch this could result in increased higher alcohols at the lower 70’s? I always produce a healthy yeast starter when I ferment with Wyeast 3787 (i.e., Trappist style ales).

Cheers!

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Mean, median, mode, game, set, and match: 66F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.