Averagely Perfect Kölsch - Poll #11 - Mash Temperature

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, May 7, 2020.

?

What should be the recommended mash temperature?

Poll closed May 9, 2020.
  1. 145F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 146F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 147F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 148F

5.6%
  5. 149F

44.4%
  6. 150F

33.3%
  7. 151F

11.1%
  8. 152F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 153F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 154F

5.6%
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #10 <- determined that the mash strategy would be a single infusion with no mashout.

This poll will determine recommended Mash Temperature. After that, we'll determine recommended Mash Length. These will be "recommended" because YMMV when it comes to making a wort with the attenuability needed to hit this recipe's numbers, so some may need different mash parameters. That said, the recommended numbers will be at least a starting place for less experienced brewers.

I recommend you think about this in terms of the parameters needed to hit apparent attenuation of ~82%, with the grain bill and yeast strain already selected, and in terms of any recommended mash length that might be tickling your parietal lobe.

When this poll is done, I will look at the data a few different ways to determine the central tendency. It may or may not be as simple as a plurality would indicate. There may or may not be a runoff. It all depends on the data. Want a temperature not listed? Write it in. The first person to actually read these instructions and mention it in a post gets to give the Averagely Perfect Kölsch a lockdown/virus related name that will live forever in the published recipe. Pollster reserves the right to cast (or not) tie-breaking votes.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via PM. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

An Apparent Attenuation (AA) value of 82% is a highly attenuated beer.

There are a number of ‘knobs’ that can be tweaked to maximize wort fermentability while conducting a single temperature infusion mash. In my homebrewing the two ‘knobs’ that I tweak are:

· Mash temperature: a lower mash temperature results in increased fermentability and for my Kolsch beers I choose to mash at 149 °F

· Mash duration: I typically mash for 60 minutes but for my Kolsch beer I choose to mash for 75 minutes to maximize wort fermentability

From my readings there are other ‘knobs’ which can be tweaked to maximize wort fermentability but I personally have not chosen to alter my parameters here. Those other ‘knobs’ are:

· Mash Thickness: a thinner mash (e.g., 2 quarts per lb. of malt) supposedly increases wort fermentability

· Mill gap setting: a finer crush (e.g., 0.35 mm) is stated to increase wort fermentability

· Mash pH: it is stated that some mash pH values (e.g., 5.6) will increase wort fermentability

Based upon my personal experience, over 15 batches or so of Kolsch, I would suggest that the only ‘knobs’ that need to tweaked here are Mash Temperature and Mash Duration.

Cheers!

dmtaylor and pweis909 like this.
  3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

So do I get to name the beer?

riptorn likes this.
  4. VikeMan

Society

Indeed. No rush though. Any time between now and the end of the polls is good.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

According to K. Troester, maximum fermentability is achieved with a rest of 66 C = 151 F. See this link. Cheers!

6. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (389) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm liking the Easter Eggs

utahbeerdude and VikeMan like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And at NHC 2012 Greg Doss Wyeast Laboratories Inc.) gave a presentation entitled “Exploring Attenuation” and the results of his Laboratory study was that attenuation maxed out at 153 °F.

I always wondered if there are other variables which influence specific results. For example I wonder if specific brands of malts have varying results.

What I can anecdotally report is that in my homebrewing practice I achieve a more fermentable wort if I mash at lower temperatures (e.g., less than 150 °F) than if I ferment at higher temperatures (e.g., > 150 °F) with less fermentability as the temperature increases. When I want a beer with a lot of body I will mash at 155-156 °F.

Cheers!

utahbeerdude likes this.
  8. VikeMan

Society

After discarding outliers...
    mean: 149.5
    median: 149
    mode: 149

Recommended mash temp will be 149F.