Averagely Perfect Kölsch - Poll #27 - Cold Conditioning

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jun 8, 2020.

?

Select a Cold Conditioning duration (or none) and a temperature (if applicable).

Poll closed Jun 10, 2020.
  1. No Cold Conditioning Needed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cold Condition 10 days...

20.0%
  3. Cold Condition 20 days...

40.0%
  4. Cold Condition 30 days...

6.7%
  5. Cold Condition until clear...

26.7%
  6. ...at 40F

6.7%
  7. ...at 38F

33.3%
  8. ...at 36F

20.0%
  9. ...at 34F

26.7%
  10. ...at 32F

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,957) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Poll #26 <- determined that the carbonation level will be 2.5 volumes.

This poll, the final poll unless there is a groundswell of support to poll something that hasn't been polled already, will determine the recommended cold conditioning duration and temperature, if any.

Here's how this one will work. Vote for one of the specific/general cold conditioning durations, or "No Cold Conditioning Needed." If you vote for the latter, stop. If you vote for the former, also vote for a temperature. You can also write in a different duration and/or temperature.

If "No Cold Conditioning Needed" has a majority, that one wins. If "No Cold Conditioning Needed" does not have a majority and "Cold Condition until clear" has more votes than the sum of votes for specific durations, then "Cold Condition until clear" wins. Otherwise, I will take a weighted average of the specific conditioning durations (sans outliers), and that average (rounded to the nearest multiple of 5 days) will win.

For the temperatures, if anything other than "No Cold Conditioning Needed" has won the duration portion, I'll compute a weighted avg of the temps (sans outliers) and round to the nearest degree F.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

If you have issues with or suggestions for methodologies used in this project, please send them via PM. Let's keep the threads themselves on topic to the question at hand and not about how you would have asked the question differently.

The Averagely Perfect Kölsch (Kölsch-Vid 19) Recipe so far...

ABV: 4.8%
    IBUs: 25 Tinseth
    OG: 1.045
    FG: 1.008
    Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch
    Fermentation Temperature: 62F
    Carbonation: 2.5 Volumes
    Water:
    -- Ca: 51 ppm
    -- Cl: 53 ppm
    -- SO4: 51 ppm

Mash at (recommended) 149F for (recommended) 60 minutes:
    - German Pilsner Malt (90%)
    - Wheat Malt (10%)

Boil 75 minutes, Hops at:
    - 60 Minutes: 50% Hallertau Mittelfrüh and 50% Tettnang
    - 5 Minutes:
    ----Hallertau Mittelfrüh - 0.35 ounces
    ----Tettnang - 0.40 ounces

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

This may be a dumb question, but what are we calling cold conditioning? My current practice is to go from finished primary to keg, carbonating while stored at 34F, which is where I keep all my kegs. Am I voting on the time before I tap the keg?

Or is cold conditioning something we're saying happens before I keg?

3. VikeMan

Society

In your case, I'd say you're probably voting on time before tapping the keg. Others might do it in a more traditional secondary. Or maybe even primary (if short enough). Similar to the unspecified location of traditional dry hopping (for AP projects that have dry hops), we won't get too far into anyone's knickers.

pweis909 likes this.
  4. scottakelly

scottakelly Zealot (502) May 9, 2007 Ohio

This yeast strain is very powdery and takes a long time to drop. I can't see doing less than 30 days.

dmtaylor and MrOH like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,883) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My last batch of Kolsch using WY2565, which I am drinking now (well an hour ago), was lagered for three weeks and is had cleared out. YMMV.

Cheers!

scottakelly likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

Another option, which I have never done myself, is a clarification post primary: e.g., gelatin.

Cheers!

7. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I have never done this either but recently found a few packs of gelatin in a cabinet and find myself wanting to try something new.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

I personally prefer to not add 'extra stuff' to beer but....

Cheers!

9. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

In general I am the same way. I like to keep it simple but I will say seeing how clear and bright some beers turn so quickly does have some appeal to me.

10. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (383) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

I know the vote was for 2565 as the yeast of choice for this recipe. However since this is the only place where people seem to care about Kolsch thought I’d post

fermentedNJ.com recently got a delivery of the ECY Kolschbier strain. Supposedly it’s an old Brewtek strain that’s different than the other commercially available Kolsch strains and well liked by those that gave used it. Not affiliated in any way just thought I’d pass it along.

MrOH and utahbeerdude like this.
  11. VikeMan

Society

Per the criteria above, that's 20 days at 36F.