Avery Uncle Jacob's

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just got my hands on a 2014 bottle - never had it before.

The question is: drink it or cellar it? Any thoughts?

2. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

Do you like a hotter, more alcohol forward beer like, say, World Wide stout fresh? If you do, drink it now. If you like the flavors to meld a bit more, than a year will suffice.

3. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,055) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

drink it

4. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,178) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Haven't had it, so my opinion is probably bunk, but I believe you should try a beer fresh first before cellaring it, or you have no frame of reference in comparison of the fresh vs aged versions.

5. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Drink it.
    Why cellar a beer you've never had before?

ERRL710, lonewolfcry and GreesyFizeek like this.
  6. Gruber221

Gruber221 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Pennsylvania

I absolutely love this beer, in my opinion I would Drink it fresh. I have had it Fresh @ 6 Months @ 1 Year and it really doesn't mellow out to much over time. It is what it is a very flavorful yet boozy high alcohol Stout. Enjoy!!!!

fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. TomTown

TomTown Aspirant (275) Feb 7, 2011 Texas

Although I do agree with the idea that it's good to generally drink a beer fresh before cellaring it to have a good frame of reference to compare the aged version, I will say that Uncle Jacob's is a little rough around the edges fresh.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing beer! Just another mention that it does come across pretty boozy but, in the best way.

8. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

The 'drink it now if you haven't had it before' mentality seems to be the golden law around here - but I'd like to play Devil'sAdvocate.com, if you will...

The man (presumably a man) has one bottle. Not several. He wants to make the most of it. He's not cellaring a handful, so why all the shouts of 'YOU'RE CRAZY! YOU'LL HAVE NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO!'

... he won't be comparing it to anything anyway, he's just got the one bottle.

If I had one chance to try one amazing beer that ages really well, I'd like someday to be able to say, 'BeerX? Yeah, I had one that was 2 years old and it was amazing!' - rather than 'BeerX? I've had it fresh and it was good, but I've heard it's much better with a couple years on it.'

9. alexipa

alexipa Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado

The 2014, to me, has been less boozy than years past. I say drink it... it's fantastic fresh.

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,468) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

2014 is way less boozy than previous batches, also batch 1 seems to be falling off pretty fast. drink it now.

11. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,870) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

But the reality is that 99.9% of beers are better fresh, why gamble?

KingG and atone315 like this.
  12. gshak

gshak Zealot (529) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

I've had the 2013 version of this beer fresh, and rated it a 5. It reminded me so much of Firestone Walker 14 in its prime - probably the finest beer ever made. So drink up, you won't regret it.

13. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (350) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I'd drink it now, it's a really great sipper.

You'll see it again, if you died before trying it, then that'd really be the shame.

14. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (588) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota

That's where you're wrong...once he has one, he'll have to get another!

gshak and mythaeus like this.
  15. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Drink half of it.
    put the other half in the cellar for 5 years

16. Donco

Donco Devotee (470) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

That's absolutely NOT true for many stouts.

Hop-Droppen-Roll and dedbeer like this.
  17. Donco

I know it's off topic, but on the idea of 'fresh vs. age': Has anyone had the 2013 World Wide Stout? Advice about drinking this right away?

18. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,870) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's subjective of course but I've only found one or two stouts that I thought actually improved. Some held up ok but very few actually tasted better with aging. Cellaring is almost a fool's errand in my opinion.

atone315 likes this.
  19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (623) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Drink or hold, either way you will enjoy it

20. Donco

Agreed that it's a subjective thing. I can only go by experience with a few of my stouts. I tried a KBS fresh and then tried the next out of my 4-pack, 9 months later and it was significantly smoother and more flavorful. And I'm sure it doesn't apply to every stout. Maybe just the barrel aged ones?

21. imscotty

imscotty Aspirant (227) Mar 23, 2007 Massachusetts

57MD, There is a way out of this dilemma. I also have a bottle of Uncle Jacobs put away. I am cellaring mine for now. Uncle Jacobs will be on tap at this year's Extreme Beer Fest in less than one month. I will figure out after I taste it there how to proceed.

22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

23. DarthGuitarHero

DarthGuitarHero Devotee (408) Jan 15, 2011 Minnesota

If you want to see what happens when it ages and have a reference point, the best thing to do is cellar the one you have and to trust that you will be able to get another (fresh) bottle in the future. At that time, crack open both the fresh and the aged and enjoy.

The first time I had BCBS, I had a fresh 2011 and an aged 2008 side-by-side. It was amazing to experience it fresh at the same time as discovering what a few years on it will do.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  24. gshak

gshak Zealot (529) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

I recall someone doing a vertical and stating that each batch is its own different beast, and having said that, concluded that the 2013 was good to go fresh. Take it for what it's worth...Good luck!

25. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

This a sweet imperial stout. Maybe a bit too sweet for me. I'd say drink it. it's not a Bourbon County so given it's low availability try it that way you won't waste your time trying to acquire more if you find it sweet as well.

blindpiggie likes this.
  26. fritts211

fritts211 Initiate (164) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee

If you don't drink this now, you'll never be able to drink this beer now again.

You may still be able to drink one in the future though.

27. Donco

Good advice!

28. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (434) Dec 12, 2009 California

Drink it... Then buy another or don't!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.