Awesome glassware?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by micada, Dec 30, 2019.

1. micada

micada Aspirant (292) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

I just saw @Roguer post a WBAYDN with a funny AF glass (Shut up liver, you’re fine). That made me wonder what awesome glassware is out there that BAs use for their daily drinkers. I don’t have anything stellar, like a unicorn mug I saw out there today (that might have been @GreenBayBA), but I enjoy a good glass.

In any event, if this a repeat or dull, I’m sure a mod will duly put it into beer limbo.

My daily go-to: area code branded tulip...currently housing a 2019 DFH WWS.

[​IMG]

nicholas2121, gshak, Premo88 and 14 others like this.
  2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,253) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

My favorites are my Jester King Snörkel snulip (tulip/snifter crossbreed) and my Simon Pearce 19+ ounce gigundo tulip. The Snörkel was my go-to until I got the Simon Pearce a few weeks ago. My next acquisition is the Simon Pearce Stout Glass, shown last. Not shown is a KBBS glass that is waiting for me to land some KBBS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gshak, Premo88, Oh_Dark_Star and 20 others like this.
  3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,334) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Spiegelau Adina beer goblet, purchased for $1 at a consignment store:
    [​IMG]

Oleg Cassini goblet, purchased for $3 at T.J. Maxx:
    [​IMG]

Unbranded snifter, purchased for 50 cents at a thrift shop:
    [​IMG]

jzeilinger, gshak, Premo88 and 35 others like this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,019) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

That Adina is a beautiful piece of glassware.

5. dcotom

Society Trader

Indeed. They thought they could hide it on a shelf behind a bunch of cheap wine glasses, but I spotted it from the next aisle over. They apparently had no idea who they were dealing with. :sunglasses:

6. nc41

Trader

I’m a glass freak, and that’s a tier one glass. I’m sure it was designed to be a red wine glass, but they also make extraordinary beer glasses.

beertunes likes this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

I hate teku's on an aesthetic view, but, damn, they are a nice drinking vessel.

SawDog505, pro100, thebeers and 5 others like this.
  8. Berknerj

Berknerj Initiate (153) Oct 26, 2014 Illinois

[​IMG] Posted this a couple days ago in a post of what I was drinking. Thought this was relevant for this post as well.

gshak, tacosandbeer, ElGallo and 15 others like this.
  9. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (54) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (947) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't know about it looks like a Champagne Flute that is 9 months pregnant!

officerbill and nc41 like this.
  11. nc41

Trader

In that line they make red wine glasses and champagne glasses. That looks like the red wine glass, especially for a buck, he’ll it was free.

12. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (434) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  13. dcotom

Society Trader

The wine glasses in the Adina Prestige series have more pronounced curves than the beer tulip. Regardless, I would've bought every Spiegelau they had at a buck each.

Alas, there was only the one. I haven't seen another since. :slight_frown:

nc41, micada and dennis3951 like this.
  14. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,367) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

[​IMG]

Everytime someone posts a glass thread, I post this. My absolute favorite glass of all time.

15. frozyn

frozyn Defender (617) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Forgot about this glass! When I first moved to NYC there was one of these in the AirBnB I lived in for a couple months and I loved using it. New Year's Eve's Eve treat-yo-self gifts are normal, right?

KRug, micada, Kadonny and 1 other person like this.
  16. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,367) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

They are, go get one....if you can find one. Back when I bought this I think they came in 2 packs....so I have a spare. Winning!

frozyn likes this.
  17. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,749) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Another glassware fanatic here, I have a decent collection (although nothing compared to some I’ve seen in the hundreds). I probably have something like 40 all told? My avatar is a glass from a bar in Seattle (where my brother lives).
    When our son Charlie was born I asked him to
    Send me two of these glasses and they are my wife’s go to drinker and one of her most cherished gifts.

anyway I just got back from a trip to Montreal and limited myself to ONE new glass (I did just shatter my district 96 tulip a few weeks ago so....). This unusual take on a teku from BreWsky Brasserie Artisanale (great spot) is fantastic. It’s 17oz and very heavy and sturdily constructed:

[​IMG]

RIP District 96 tulip, ye shall soon be replaced:

[​IMG]

18. micada

Trader

That’s stellar!

19. micada

Trader

I didn’t realize that was a Jester King squid/octopus. Those are all super looking glasses.

FBarber and bbtkd like this.
  20. micada

Trader

I had a nice set of Spiegelau, but our weird shaped Corian sink beat them to hell and they all broke. Even my lowly tulip bears a small chip in the rim. For a plastic sink, it’s a motherf*cker.

officerbill and dcotom like this.
  21. micada

Trader

And I think you win best bargain hunter accolades!

officerbill, Glider and dcotom like this.
  22. micada

Trader

Barettes and DEdesings57 like this.
  23. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,280) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I have WAY too many glasses. A few favorites:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gshak, tacosandbeer, ElGallo and 24 others like this.
  24. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (561) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

****This glass in no longer in production BUT:

I swear by the Sauvin glass!

It's a big tulip snifter hybrid with a hollow foot from which to hold the glass while reducing heat transfer.

Own 4 of them and each one has it's own unique touch although they are all the same glass.
    Sauvin 1:
    [​IMG]
    Sauvin-2:
    [​IMG]
    #sauvin-3
    [​IMG]
    #sauvin-4
    [​IMG]

25. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (561) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

That first glass is awesome and is known as the beer sommelier glass - I have yet to own it.

micada and tobelerone like this.
  26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,253) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Thanks! They usually have the Snörkel in stock for pretty cheap, but I see they're out of stock right now. Link below for future reference. I've never broken one but have several spares just in case. I even keep one at my son's house.

Snörkel snulip glass

winehead247 and micada like this.
  27. tobelerone

Society Trader

If id have known I would have brought you one back! I’m in NJ all the time. Really digging this glass, it’s like my best teku in a long stemmed super fortified version.

sharpski and DEdesings57 like this.
  28. tobelerone

Society Trader

First glass is very cool, love the HOTD glass and Adam and pretty much everything they do. Had a great visit maybe 6 years ago. Should have bought a glass rather than a t shirt I never wear...

Beersnake1 and micada like this.
  29. DavetotheB

DavetotheB Aspirant (299) Sep 30, 2017 Pennsylvania

I guess in one way they're just good ol "pint glasses"...The printing is a map of Boston with Fenway Park in the center, which makes them special. They're a Christmas gift from my sister. That makes them specialer.

[​IMG]

30. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (404) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

For years I have thought about the teku glass- "of all the glasses out there, why get this alienish one?," but tastes and preferences change over time. As far as glasses go, I am a firm believer in a wide middle for more surface area release of flavor molecules, and a narrowed top to corral those fragrant molecules into your nose and mouth. The teku, although a little odd looking, does that.

jdell15, dcotom, Barettes and 2 others like this.
  31. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,850) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Looks sort of like a beer condom, safety first.... Heat transfer denied. Check.

OscarO67 and officerbill like this.
  32. micada

Trader

They were at the Shelton Bros Festival recently, but barely anyone was in line...bunch of dummies! They did a nice collab with Pohjala I liked.

bbtkd likes this.
  33. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Initiate (137) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Only holds ~4.5 oz but it’s great for big stouts! One of my favs currently

[​IMG]

34. nc41

Trader

I love cool glass finds, I always buy if it’s great glass especially at $1. I’m always on the prowl at antique stores, but mostly at consignment shops.

dcotom likes this.
  35. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,239) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

inherited boxes of European beer glasses and steins. a lot of cool styles, brands & shapes. Durobor always made fun, unique, distinctive glassware

www.durobor.com

SawDog505 likes this.
  36. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (398) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I have one of those that.. ahem... followed me home from a DFH tap takeover a ways back (Don't get mad; I asked the server if I could buy the glass, she said that a stack of cases of them were sent in for the event and I could just take it)
    It's a great glass, nice and sturdy.
    My other favorites are a Unibrau Mauduite snifter that didn't survive a washing by SWMBO, (she's done in a number of my glasses - I'm about to ban her from washing them...)
    and a curved pint from Maine Beer. I don't know the name, but it holds their bottles comfortably.

micada and Kadonny like this.
  37. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (135) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I have that same "Chunky Wine Glass" (the second one) unbranded lol

38. nc41

Trader

Kinda of a weird Thistle glass, it’s so ugly it’s kinda cute.

39. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (6,936) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

And justified - that is definitely a unique and beautiful glass!!

That being said, with a glass collection well over 100 pieces (which humbly pales in comparison to many BA'rs), this one by far is my favorite and all due to the generosity of @tacosandbeer. The shape is definitely unique but the nose this glass creates is just insane. The tulip / snulip has been a prior fav but this glass design blows them away, IMO.

[​IMG]

#39 jzeilinger, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    dcotom, jvgoor3786, gshak and 17 others like this.
  40. micada

Trader

So tossing this into the mix: anyone prefer beer steins or those alloy beer mugs?

I’ve never really given steins a proper trial, but they must be good for something.

I have an alloy mug that I cured according to directions. One morning after drinking with it, I woke up with my heart literally beating out of my chest. Went to the ER, got cardizem to clear the atrial fibrillation (almost had to be cardio inverted), and I haven’t used that mug since! Might have been coincidence, but I’m not chancing it. I want to use it, but I’m not willing to try again at this point.

Oh_Dark_Star, SawDog505, AWA and 2 others like this.