Awful Micro/Nano Breweries

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Aaron_Ramson, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron_Ramson

Aaron_Ramson Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2012 California

Has anyone visited a newly opened micro or nano brewery only to be repulsed by the taste of their beer? Visited a new place in my area called Chino Valley Brewery this past weekend and had a flight of the 4 brews they had on tap. The results were not impressive.. the blonde was mediocre, the porter was mediocre, the strong ale was decent, but the smoked porter tasted like, get ready for it.....soy sauce. Salty, smoky, savory soy sauce (I used to drink Old Milwaukee as a young guy, so there's no such thing as undrinkable beer as far as I'm concerned. I just gulped it down and concentrated on the buzz). Just wondering if anyone else has been to a new local brewery only to find that the beer is poor or even undrinkable?

2. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

3. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

I wouldn't say "awful," but I didn't really care for Old Orange Brewing at all. Just some uninteresting and bland stuff, but nothing that made me cringe.

4. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Champion (808) Sep 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

This is silly. We all know the lower the bottle count the better the beer :wink:

5. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

The sours I had from Cellarmaker were pretty awful. I probably just need to hit them again.

Anything from Hermitage (except their contract-brewed stuff).

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  6. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Seabright Brewery in Santa Cruz meets the description. Definitely now new though, how do they stay in business?

RobertV916 likes this.
  7. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (177) Aug 9, 2011 California

Maybe it's just me but if I go to a new place and don't enjoy it, I just don't spend any more money there. I don't run to the internet and try to shit on them. I mean, overtly rude service, health code issues, etc. then fire away but I don't see the point of everyone listing all the breweries they don't care for. Like I said, maybe it's just me.

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

BA would sure be a dull place if people weren't constantly complaining about something.

(_)(_)///////////////D

KevSal likes this.
  9. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Aspirant (215) Jul 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Right, but others use threads like this so they don't make the mistake of going to one of these breweries and wasting their money.

10. Aaron_Ramson

Haven't heard a single good thing about Brew Rebellion...big time diacetyl flavors, infected wood aged beer....

KirstinStone likes this.
  11. Beerthrash

Beerthrash Initiate (161) Dec 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Why not just do a review?

jmgrub likes this.
  12. Aaron_Ramson

I applaud you for keeping such a positive mindset even when you've had a negative experience. My point isn't to badmouth or shit on anyones business, rather to know the places to watch out for, and share that knowledge. I will gladly spend $4-7 a pint, but if I could have been warned about the product by reading about it on the internet, then that's money I'd gladly spend at another brewery that people genuinely seem to enjoy.

Popp24 likes this.
  13. hiimrichie

Beer Trader

Post a review too.

In threads people can discuss the places or ask questions about them, which cannot be done in a review.

ILikeGoodCider likes this.
  14. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Initiate (115) Jul 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

what's with the $20 plus bombers. i laugh every time i see them.

Modernrickk and Popp24 like this.
  15. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,432) Mar 18, 2010 California

Bulldog Brewing in Murrieta.

16. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I used to think Noble Ale Works was mediocre.

Then they came out with Naughty Sauce, which got me to go and actually visit the brewery and thoroughly enjoyed. The rest of my flight was meh at best.
    Then Tongue Tickles came out few months after and got me excited that a solid IPA was available nearby.
    Then Citra Showers came out maybe a month soon after and blew my mind.

You'll never know, I guess?

Justinsosmart and Aaron_Ramson like this.
  17. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

So you've never had Nobility or Royalty?

PlinyTheYoungest and dcgunman like this.
  18. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Not Royalty, unfortunately.

Have had Nobility and thought it was decent... didn't make a lasting impression on me.

19. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

Yeah it's bizarre. They don't seem to understand that nobody is going to pay $20+ for bombers of non-BA, bad beer. "Oh let's wax them also!"

Tgilly, smithj2154, Popp24 and 2 others like this.
  20. Carbon14

Carbon14 Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2009 Maryland

You are far too kind in your assessment.

j47paco and PlinyTheYoungest like this.
  21. vurt

vurt Savant (941) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Premium Member

Seems to me that avoiding a place because some random stranger on BA says "It sucks" is a lousy way to decide where to have a beer.

Now, if someone wants to go to the effort to explain why a place is bad, that's a lot more useful.

jmgrub likes this.
  22. hiimrichie

Beer Trader

Yes, go on.

Could you not post a review, rather than in a topic, for a place stating "it sucks" though?

Do we have people complaining in threads where people list amazing micro or nano breweries? I don't recall.

23. t0rin0

t0rin0 Poo-Bah (2,315) Dec 30, 2006 California

I feel that there are lots of great new breweries that I've been to that deserve recognition. The following list is limited to California brewers that have opened in the past year or so. Not sure how the image formatting works here as this was something I originally posted on Ratebeer

edit: looks like they dont get resized, but it's still a good list

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Modernrickk likes this.
  24. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

With all due respect, On The Tracks is one of the few places I would publicly call "awful". I stopped there once, had three beers, and couldn't finish any of them (i.e. drain pours). Unless they've really stepped it up, I'm not sure how anybody could like them. I'm sort of surprised they are still in operation - they must have a critical mass of groupies or deep pockets.

Wet 'N Reckless doesn't have a lot of fans either, but the guy running the place pretty much represents himself as a home brewer opening up his garage for tastings, so you have a reasonable idea of what you are getting before you make a visit.

smithj2154 likes this.
  25. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

That list of breweries seems pretty good, although there's some variance in just how "bad" a few of those are. Plus it needs Brew Rebellion added.

26. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (104) Dec 18, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Indeed, On the Tracks is really bad. I'm surprised that one wasn't named first in this thread. When I went in the brewer was super hung over from partying with his brahs the night before. So in addition to the terrible beer, the service level was dreadful.

I will say, they had a peppercorn porter or stout which was at least interesting, if not tasty.

smithj2154 likes this.
  27. hiimrichie

Beer Trader

From the list above, Groundswell is the only one I have to disagree with. Unless they'e stepped it up since they opened (which was not too long ago), their offerings were all sub-par. I'd head down the street to Benchmark Brewing any day.

Also, Kat Daddy Brewing's logo looks like something I could have made in photoshop in about 2 minutes, and my photoshop skills are laughable. Hope they have better beer.

28. FrogOut69

Beer Trader

They don't.

And the On the Tracks Peppercorn Porter was very interesting and the only reason they didn't come to mind right away. All their other beer was drainpour bad, but then I reached that one and... kind of enjoyed it.

29. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (280) Jun 13, 2006 California

I agree with this. On The Tracks gave me and my 2 friends all the "beers shits" the next day- I could not finish any of our samples. I've been to a few that I didn't particularly enjoy but OTT was exceptionally bad.

30. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,432) Mar 18, 2010 California

I guess everyone is different but I think Enegren is pretty solid overall.

Retsinis, Patrick, Skuter and 3 others like this.
  31. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,215) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

You guys realize that T0rin0's post was positive (unless my comprehensions skills have gone to shit):

"I feel that there are lots of great new breweries that I've been to that deserve recognition..."

32. stawn

stawn Initiate (44) Sep 16, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

You must not know sarcasm.

33. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2009 California

FTFY

34. stawn

stawn Initiate (44) Sep 16, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

haha, that's what I originally was going to write.

PlinyTheYoungest likes this.
  35. grze

grze Devotee (473) Apr 17, 2012 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Sons of Liberty was actually pretty decent. I was very disappointed in Brew Rebellion though

36. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

If that was meant to be sarcastic, then I'll object to his inclusion of Intergalactic Brewing.

Skuter likes this.
  37. SoCaliC8

SoCaliC8 Devotee (400) Jan 28, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I <3 Chino Valley!!

38. Popp24

Popp24 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2010 California

I had one of Kat Daddy's beers on tap at Eureka Burger and it was horrible. It was a porter that was riddled with infection.

39. Popp24

Popp24 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2010 California

Oak Hills Brewing was bad all around. I actually posted a review of the brewery on Yelp. Not one decent beer and too many off flavors. I agree with the original poster that it's good to know what breweries to avoid. One poster mentioned that one stranger on the Internet will not influence him on going to a brewery or not. I think if enough people are giving negative feedback on a specific brewery it may give other beer geeks something to think about at least. I mean what if you went to a brewery rich area like San Diego and you only had enough time to go to 1 or 2 breweries. Wouldn't you want to know which ones to maybe steer clear of?

40. MisterClean

MisterClean Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2008 California

A couple that are under par and need help: Left Coast Brewing, Indian Wells, Kelly Bros in Modesto (not sure if they are still around), Pyramid, BJ's (we get their Reno stuff and Hopstorm is the only drinkable beer) and Stateline.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.