B. United International (2019)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ONovoMexicano, Jan 5, 2019.

1. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Since they do somewhat regular cannings and releases, I figured B. United deserves a thread of its own. I'm hoping besides sharing release info, BAs can share intelligence on where to find some of their beers they bring in. For example, Uerige Sticke was canned last year, but I never saw it anywhere.

For those not in the know, B. United has been receiving tanks of freshly brewed beer from Europe and canning it upon arrival stateside.

Here's there website for those curious: http://www.bunitedint.com/

It seems that they do a good job of posting new arrivals on Instagram, but they aren't very responsive to questions, at least from my experience. Here's their IG: https://www.instagram.com/bunitedint/

For those driving through Connecticut, I highly recommend dropping in to OEC Brewing, which is affiliated with B. United in some way and has taken beer from European breweries and made unique blends and what not. They also carry guest taps of beers from B. United's lineup and currently have cans to-go of Schlenkerla's Helles Marzen (Krausen).

2. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (114) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Thank you for starting this thread. Just got in the know about this operation recently.

ONovoMexicano and beertrip like this.
  3. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (246) Mar 28, 2011 New York

This sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Brian_Lynch and ONovoMexicano like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Not that this information will specifically help you but a couple of days ago I drank two glasses of Uerige Sticke Altibier at a local beer bar (The Flying Pig in Malvern, PA). I suppose the general information is that Uerige Sticke Altibier is available on draft in addition to the can.

FWIW I have not seen the cans at any of my local beer retailers. I had a conversation with the owner of one of my local retailers and he told be that he refused to carry the B. United canned beers because they are too expensive. He went on to state that if these beers were 'NEIPA' beers he would be able to sell them at the inflated prices.

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,187) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Good thread. Thanks for the IG link. Following.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

B. United is an importer, and as such, they sell beer to distributors across the country. Their page which listed distributors for consumer to find their brands has long stated "Please excuse us while we improve this page. Thank You!" but you can get an idea of their states from their Reps on their Contact Us page.

This GBH article Tanks for All the Beer — B. United Rewrites the Rules of Importing notes that the quantity of cans that are filled is based on pre-orders. Pretty strange way to distribute beer - and likely adds to the price tag at the retail level.

rgordon, AlcahueteJ, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Very interesting. Already latched onto a Roggenbier listing, my one remaining style to try. Sadly, I don't think B. United comes out this far west.

I'll add them to my list to explore should I find myself on the east coast for work or pleasure.

FBarber, DIM and Bitterbill like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,828) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

B. United distributed a bunch of beers in Casper Wyoming.

Harrison8 likes this.
  9. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

A few breweries in PA that excell at making German style beers have made roggenbier that I loved. Troegs in particular made one as one of their Scratch beers many years ago. I pounded through 2 cases that summer, so damn good. I wish I had ready access to good roggenbier...:anguished:

AlcahueteJ, tobelerone and Harrison8 like this.
  10. jesskidden

Society Trader

On their "Contact Us" page, this guy's listed as the Missouri Rep:

AlcahueteJ and Harrison8 like this.
  11. Harrison8

Society Trader

I'm emailing Mr. Frost now.

Thank you!

FBarber likes this.
  12. FrostyOne

FrostyOne Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2019

We do have a presence in Missouri, but sadly our wholesaler there is often reluctant to bring in any "non-core" items like the Apostelbraeu Roggenbier. Might be best to jump across the border!

13. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,872) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I saw the same thing! Would love to try that one ...

Harrison8 likes this.
  14. Harrison8

Society Trader

Across the border in which way? I have friends in Arkansas, Nebraska and Illinois. I'm close to Kansas myself. Iowa is a wild card, but I could probably pull it off.

I'd love to make this happen, even if it's just a shot in the dark.

Thanks for responding and cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. FrostyOne

FrostyOne Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2019

Illinois I might be able to help you with. Iowa, could stop in at John's Grocery and ask (it might be a special-order, but that shouldn't be a problem). Kansas won't yield much. Not sure about Arkansas or Nebraska, personally, since they are not my territories! We do service them, though. The "better beer" retailers could special-order it, but it might take a few weeks to show up.

16. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

If any of you are traders, I'd seek out a Texas trader. I am pretty sure Real Ale or Live Oak (or both) produce a roggenbier and can it.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and Harrison8 like this.
  17. FBarber

Society Trader

I'm sure Live Oak's is great (their other stuff I've had has been great), I just haven't had an actual German example of the style.

Harrison8 likes this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

If anyone is interested in trying an authentic German Roggenbier, I'd be happy to trade one for an American Dark Wheat Ale :wink:.

Ranbot, bret717, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  19. Brian_Lynch

20. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Interesting that they fill "casks" over here too. I just assumed they were always brought into the country as such.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  21. jesskidden

Society Trader

Has anyone seen these cans in New Jersey? I asked about them at a BA "World class" rated retailer when I saw a just-delivered case of bottled Schlenkerla and he looked at me like I was nuts (well, I did realize half way through the conversation that I'd never pronounced "Schlenkerla" out loud :astonished:) when I asked about the cans and described the "bulk shipment/canned in CT" deal, even tho' he said he had a relationship with the NJ B. United rep.

B. United had previously been racking beer into kegs that they aged/blending in-house under their "Zymatore Project" - the page for which is no longer active on their website but it looks like the project has been moved to their associated OEC Brewing Co.

In the quote above (post #6), they mention that they only can the quantity of the beer that has been pre-ordered by their distributors and then keg the remainder.

22. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah. B United is very hands on. Beyond their brand shaping and the entire Zymatore/OEC mischief, they'll carry out second fermentation and dry-hopping for imports. I'm just being naive in not assuming that they filled "cask beer" over here too. I'm trying to remember if they do anything stateside with bottled beer or if all of that just passes through them untouched.

McMatt7 and FBarber like this.
  23. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (338) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

My favorite local pub has a special dinner every year for Burn's Night, happens to be their 20th Anniversary this year as well, check out the beers:

Join us on Friday January 25th for a Burns Day Supper!

Our kitchen will be preparing a traditional three-course Burns Supper from 4pm until we sell out or the kitchen closes, whichever comes first!

First Course ~ Potato Leek Soup

Second Course ~ House-made Haggis with whisky mustard
    cream sauce, tattie & neep mash and roasted baby carrots

Dessert Course ~ Whisky Dark Chocolate Pot du Creme &
    Scottish Shortbread Trifle

J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale Port Cask Aged Barleywine
    Brew Gentlemen IV Barrel Aged Scotch Ale
    Roundabout McShovin Barrel Aged Scotch Ale
    Firkin~ Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12 Year Barrel Aged Scotch Ale
    Firkin~ Harviestoun Schiehallion Scottish Lager
    $7.00 Laphroaig Select

Sexy menu, i'm pretty damn excited.

24. Brian_Lynch

Also new round of Tipopils spotted out in the wild.

25. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Anyone seen these in NY/NJ?

26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, that Pils is really good, too!

I get them in Fort Lee at Linwood Wines.

27. JackHorzempa

Society

Michael, how are the cans dated (e.g., canned on date)? Can you find this beer fresh?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. FBarber

Society Trader

The B. United cans have a sticker on the pak-tech can holder that gives you the canned on date. However that date refers to the date the cans were filled in CT, not taking into account when the beer was brewed and the shipping time in between. I've had reasonably good luck finding cans canned within a couple weeks here in IL.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

I am well aware but the Einbecher cans are canned in Germany at the brewery. Do they have canned on dates?

Cheers!

30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, these do have dates on the bottom of the cans, easy to understand. Mine were about 3 months old when I got them.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and JackHorzempa like this.
  31. jesskidden

Society Trader

Can't find the reference (other than some language about some of their kegs undergoing secondary fermentation before the tank program) but I thought B. United filled their "tank" beer at the breweries before the beer is "finished" - before the beers' traditional aging/lagering period ends, and the time it takes for transport to the US (1.5-2 weeks for their UK and European beers, twice that for Japanese beers) at 32-33° is just considered continuation of the traditional lagering period.

In which case, dating the beers with the packaging date in CT is no different than AB's dating Budweiser based on when it was packaged despite the 28 day lagering time (or whatever it's been reduced to) or Pilsner Urquell's cans dating ignoring its lagering (40 days or so, IIRC).

32. FBarber

Society Trader

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything in that vein, but that would certainly change how I looked at that time period.

33. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,106) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

From B. United's Instagram account, I think there are two separate things going on here:
    1. Einbecker Brauherren Pils cans were filled at the brewery in Germany, imported via B. United, and are available now.
    2. A tanker of Unfiltered Einbecker Brauherren Pils is on its way and expected to arrive on 7/23/19. That beer will be canned in Connecticut and distributed like their other "Tank Project" beers.

34. FBarber

Society Trader

Ahhh, that explains my confusion. Sorry @JackHorzempa I missed the fact that the Brauherren Pils cans were canned in Germany and shipped here canned. Carry on - it looks like @TongoRad gave you the (correct) information you sought. :wink:

TongoRad and Jacobier10 like this.
  35. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (274) Oct 20, 2006 California

Just tapped a keg of the Brauherren yesterday, it’s fantastic.

36. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

In New Jersey?!

37. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (274) Oct 20, 2006 California

San Francisco. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

emerge077 likes this.
  38. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I sold B United products for years and can attest to their complete dedication to delivering great beer. It is a first rate operation from top to bottom. They have moved into different realms since I last knew the portfolio. Their commitment to great world beer is second to none.

cavedave and guinness77 like this.
  39. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,106) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Aventinus cans coming in September!!

40. lester619

lester619 Devotee (467) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I have never heard of this. How is it shipped? I'm assuming it comes over in kegs and then it gets put bottles? It's possible I'm missing the point. Feel free to let me know if these are stupid questions. I'm pretty much impossible to offend. Cheers!