BA Certified Beer Servers going the next step?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CellarGimp, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

There was a recent push at Cicerone.org to get the number of Certified Beer Servers to over 10,000. They cranked out hundreds a day in the process. Were you one of them? If so, do you plan to go on for the Cicerone certification?

Cheers

2. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 California

I did it but only because it was $10 and I was curious. I would consider doing the Cicerone but it's pretty expensive for something that provides me with no benefits. If I had plans in the beer industry I may consider it.

3. slentz

slentz Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Pennsylvania

Did you have to complete the test when you bought it? Or could you buy it and then take the test at some other time?

4. sacullen

sacullen Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Illinois

For the $10 special you had to take it that day.

5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Getting a non career related education didn't stop most of us from going to college! :wink:

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  6. slentz

I thought so and that's why I didn't take it. Although I had taken the practice test and got 8 out of 10 correct off the cuff.

7. slentz

What is the normal price?

8. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2010 Illinois

I think it is normally $69

9. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Nevada

I really wanted my Certified Cicerone when I worked at a brewery. I still want to take it but like someone said it would not having any benefits (plus I would have to pay for it now).

10. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 California

Haha it did me.

11. zachary80

zachary80 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Indiana

I missed the test by about an hour, but am not really sure of its usefulness in the real world without further Cicerone education - I think people can tell your knowledge pretty fast, at least to the accuracy that the 70% the Cicerone server certificate ensures.

12. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I have a desire to work in the beer industry, I do not feel that being a certified beer server makes me more qualified but taking the initiative may be appreciated by future employers. I would like to further my certification, both for professional use and my own personal desire to learn/challenge myself.

13. drewba

drewba Pundit (811) Nov 14, 2009 Illinois

I'm glad to have taken it at $10. After seeing how simple and short the test was, I would have regret paying the normal $70.

14. wineman77

wineman77 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2009 California

I was planning on taking it that weekend, but took it cold for $10. Saved almost $60 and breezed through it. I am planning on taking the next level and have taken a class in off flavors, as well as starting a study group. By sharing the cost of course material, it should lessen the burden. I am in the industry and am taking it for both personal and professional reasons.

15. GHC

GHC Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Ohio

It may not make you more qualified but it will *possibly* allow you to get your foot in the door in an industry that's nearly impossible to get into. I passed mine 8 months ago and it was one of the main reasons I was able to get my current job as a Wine and Beer Steward (considering I had no other 'formal' training in either field). With my professional past spent as a financial adviser the certification gave me that slight bit of legitimacy in the eyes of the new employer. Also, as you can see by the spike in #s, the Beer Server exam is becoming more and more recognized by the distributors and off-premise network. Im planning on taking the Certified Cicerone by the end of the year for both personal and professional reasons also.

16. celticfutblclub

celticfutblclub Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Massachusetts

I did take the test when they put the deal on as others said I had planned on studying up a bit for it but given it dropped to $10 I took the plunge and found it pretty easy. Definitely plan on going further with the program as I am looking to make the leap into the industry glad to hear from some other people on here that it helped them out!

17. NJBeerNerd

NJBeerNerd Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2010 New Jersey

If I worked in the industry or was thinking about it, I definitely would pursue the Cicerone certifications. Even though I don't, I was always interested in seeing how I'd do on the test (purely for shits and giggles) but didn't feel like paying $70 for the beer server exam. When it went on sale for $10, I took it and like others have said found it pretty easy and glad I didn't spend the $70. But now I do have a certificate hanging on my beer fridge that lets my friends know that I'm a certified beer server and I'm cool :slight_smile:

18. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I took it. It was $10 and pretty easy. I hope someday to get into the beer industry, and if I get there then yes I'll go for the next certifications.

19. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

while I'm somewhat in the industry (IT side of a alcohol dist) I took the $10 test and passed. I would maybe like to get on the other side and will consider going for the Cicerone Cert at some point but not as an out-n-out salesman... maybe on the brewery side.

20. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Damn I'm sad I missed that deal, but I'm still planning to take the first test next month, and hopefully the second level early next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.