BA Mexican Cake Release Thread

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by c64person, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zookerman182

zookerman182 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

on facebook someone asked about the pappy and double chocolate bottles and i think westbrook's response was something along the lines of (just wait and see). I wouldn't be surprised if they released those 2 bottles this saturday one way or another.

2. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 North Carolina

Westbrook posted it in response to a comment on their Facebook page.

3. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

For those of us without FB...?

4. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,152) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Get one! Everybody and their grandma are on FB.

Scarfer_Brad likes this.
  5. zookerman182

email them, im sure they would have responded.

Everyone just expects breweries to release every last detail about everything they are doing regarding every release.

KhakCane, PurdueBrewCrew and WCKDVBZ like this.
  6. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 North Carolina

I'm not really sure what you're trying to ask.

KhakCane and WCKDVBZ like this.
  7. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (535) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

WB posted last night that tickets have officially sold out. Bottles will only be provided on Saturday (Rain, monsoon, or shine) to those who purchased tickets. NO sales to people who come to the taproom and do not have a ticket although you can get a 8oz or 16oz pours. For those w/o FB here is the latest from about 20mins ago.

"ADDITIONAL BAMC RELEASE DETAILS:

The release will happen Saturday rain or shine (but almost definitely rain). Bring umbrellas/raincoats/boots!

Parking is very limited. Our normal gravel overflow lot is mostly occupied by construction materials and equipment. Carpooling is strongly encouraged.

We will start handing out bottles to ticket holders at 11am. The Tasting Room will open for normal operation at 12pm. Remember, bottle pickup will go until 6pm so there is no need to line up at the brewery before 11.

The Tasting Room is open to the public as normal on Saturday. Tickets are only required for bottles of Barrel-Aged Mexican Cake. Due to the large number of people we are expecting, we will not be offering any sample flights. Only 16oz and 8oz pours will be available. Also, we will only be accepting credit/debit cards at the outside beer stations.

No additional bottles of Barrel-Aged Mexican Cake will be available for purchase on Saturday other than what we are handing out to ticket holders.

Consuming outside alcoholic beverages (bottle sharing) on the brewery property is not allowed at any time."

Skrip and c64person like this.
  8. porknwhiskey

porknwhiskey Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 South Carolina

Also I hear there will be cheese plates

zac16125, CCDuchaine and smithmk2 like this.
  9. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

Interesting, tasting room open to public. Gonna be insane.

Still no word on the variant situation I guess.

KhakCane likes this.
  10. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

Whats the best place around to grab lunch/dinner afterwords?

11. KhakCane

KhakCane Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2010 North Carolina

With Joaquin being upgraded to a Category 4 (I realize projections show it staying east of Charleston at this time) and rain guaranteed to be around 5-10 inches in the area, is anyone else genuinely concerned about the flood situation? Any chance they postpone?

12. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

There will be cases of Pappy Cake floating around the streets in Charleston, its a free for all. May the best swimmer win.

13. MrFacto

MrFacto Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2008 Wisconsin

I'm driving down in my go-kart, I mean hatchback and am very concerned about the weather. Maybe some of the locals who have been keeping a closer eye can comment?

From the standpoint of the hurricane and having a little fun while I'm down here, Do y'all think it would be smarter to drive down Friday night and stay over or drive down Saturday morning and stay over?

Any affordable hotel recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

KhakCane likes this.
  14. KhakCane

KhakCane Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2010 North Carolina

I'm driving down Saturday and staying Saturday night. I am using credit card points for hotel. So, I cannot help with the affordable hotels, because I did not spend a lot of time looking, but I would avoid downtown, where roads are already closed (which is not unusual) due to the water.

Cottontown201 likes this.
  15. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

So are these "likely" (not absolutely for sure but there's a good chance) to be the only bottles released for off-site consumption this year?

16. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 New York

I want to know more about the cheese plates

KevSal, RDMII, andyctree and 7 others like this.
  17. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

No, sorry. We are not setting up to release those bottles.

18. raverjames

Looking that way right now.

19. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

My friend is telling me that there is already 4-6 inches of standing water in downtown Charleston. Friday is slated to have 6-8 inches of rain and Saturday 10-12. This is the equivalent of a 25 year storm followed by a 100 year storm the next day. Aka more rain than anyone has ever seen in their lives in a 48 hour period. That's with the hurricane on it's current path could get even worse if it starts turning to the West. Bring life jackets.

KhakCane and CaptainFleeker like this.
  20. porknwhiskey

Go down to Edmunds Oast. 100% However the flooding that is already happening from the rain may cause an issue with that.

21. porknwhiskey

Westbrook is in Mount Pleasant. it will be wet but there will be no flooding like in downtown Charleston. Nothing comparable.

The peninsula will be underwater on many main streets and traffic going that way will suck gigantic donkey dick but Mt P should be fine as far as flooding goes. 526 will suck for traffic from people avoiding Downtown.

22. porknwhiskey

LIES!

CCDuchaine and whitekiboko like this.
  23. bellbw

bellbw Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2014 Virginia

If you're looking for a hotel, try to find something in Mt Pleasant

24. zookerman182

No need to apologize. Won't change my opinion either way.

25. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

Yes out of town people do research with the weather. Stay out of downtown. Westbrook isn't downtown, it's in Mt. Pleasant, it isn't going to flood there like it will downtown. Weather is gonna suck but just stay away from downtown.

CCDuchaine, james582 and Robyn like this.
  26. MrFacto

MrFacto Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2008 Wisconsin

Thanks so much to the locals who chimed in with advice for us out of towners!

c64person and KhakCane like this.
  27. fhyden

fhyden Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Florida

Still looking for a ride from Athens (or I can meet in Atlanta). Anyone looking for someone from Florida to owe him/her a favor?

28. PostQ

PostQ Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 South Carolina

FWIW, the other end of Longpoint road was shut down due to flooding on the full moon tide earlier this week. No reason to think that couldnt happen again at high tide with the amount of rain forecasted. Thus, anyone coming South on 17 would likely be better off hitting 526 between noon-3pm or so. Later if a strong NE wind holds the tide in.....

james582 and raverjames like this.
  29. JackXCI

JackXCI Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 North Carolina

Anyone in Charlotte wanna split a submarine ride to Westbrook?

urielxvi, KhakCane, McAndrew and 6 others like this.
  30. inspektor

inspektor Devotee (482) Jun 20, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

It'll be interesting to see if they allow alternate pickup days.

31. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

When I called Westbrook, before I asked about the Will-Call name change, I thanked them so much for finally releasing these beers and explained to them that I knew that phone was ringing off the hook. Then, I thanked the woman on the phone again for answering my question and thanked her again for being apart of this release. Westbrook hooked it up for the craft beer world despite all the chit-chat. I hope DB and Pappy go to the locals, it only makes sense.

In the event that a beer comes out that you want and it happens to be $202 dollars for six bottles, just buy it and then get with your friends for the $33 dollar reimbursements. They usually come fast for beers like this. If you don't have those friends, start making them now in this thread. Thank you again Westbrook and all it's little voices that work at the brewery for finally making this happen! @raverjames

Zack_B, zac16125, evilcatfish and 3 others like this.
  32. jstngjohnson

jstngjohnson Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 Virginia

evilcatfish and floridadrift like this.
  33. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

I have enough! The release happens to be on my birthday. Ill be driving up in the middle of the night, grabbing my bottles and hugging all the Westbrook employees and driving back to FL for Snowed In. <3

jstngjohnson likes this.
  34. jstngjohnson

jstngjohnson Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 Virginia

I was booked for Grrrz and trying to figure out weather to squeeze in Lickinghole vs a Westbrook trip when they sold out:-( at least I get Lemon Coconut Weiss!!! Happy Bithday, man

floridadrift likes this.
  35. raverjames

I had nothing to do with the planning, but I will be there handing out beer and carting kegs around.

Robyn likes this.
  36. Csnow4

Csnow4 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 South Carolina

I'll be interested to see how this turns out...Might not be the most responsible thing to have a release when you know there is a strong possibility that there could be historic flooding, and travel is not going to be very safe, especially for out-of-towners. I know it may sound wimpy, but you have to thing about these things...

37. raverjames

Again, this isn't downtown. Flooding isn't an issue going from 526 to Longpoint Rd. There may be some water building up on the roadway during the heavy downpours, but people have 7 hours to get there and pick up the beer. All our drains pour out into the ocean, and unlike downtown, Mt P is high enough for that to still work during high tide. It isn't going to be ideal weather, but I really think people are getting worked up for nothing.
    To the people making the trip: Take it easy coming in on the highway, and avoid downtown if you can. Especially avoid low elevation areas from noon to 3pm. At high tide, they will be under water.

38. Csnow4

Csnow4 Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 South Carolina

I get that the "flooding" will not be a severe as downtown, but people are already bad enough drivers on 526 in just a little rain...I guess my question is, does the good outweigh the bad in doing the release in the conditions that are forecast? If waiting one more week totally F's everything, then I guess it does.

mjk91383 likes this.
  39. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

The current forecast is not looking as bad as it was yesterday. Just make sure you have one life jacket per person in your car and you shouldn't be in any danger. On a serious note though I am a Water Resources Engineer that designs stormwater management systems in Florida and this is a very serious amount of rainfall (more than anyone living in Charleston commenting on this post has ever seen) and should not be taken lightly. I am curious to see how the area handles it as I will be up there with all of you this weekend.

#159 flexmagli, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    WCKDVBZ and KhakCane like this.
  40. porknwhiskey

Not as bad meaning instead of 12-15 inches of rain 8-12 inches. It's still going to be a miserably wet flooded mess for the most part of the area. Prepare accordingly. But things should be relatively OK in Mount P. Traffic is just going to suck in general all around Charleston. And yes Drivers on I-526 are as a rule, terrible. Add rain and then add Noah's ark mythology and, well, again plan accordingly.

It will be a historic weather event so be careful out there. And if you're drinking don't drive, especially in this shit. We have enough bad drivers in Charleston even before you add rain.

jshusc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.