BA Mexican Cake Release Thread

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by c64person, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EJ1

EJ1 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2015 Wisconsin

I'm heading into the release all the way from Wisconsin with a very low riding car, and am scheduled to arrive about 1:15. Not sure I want to chance it based on the comments in this thread. Is there anyone else coming in from the north side around that time would be willing to pick me and my girlfriend up just outside mount pleasant in your high riding SUV? I'd be happy to share a bottle of Jackie O's BBBM for your troubles! We're fine with quick in/quick out of sticking around for several hours to try everything.... BM me if you're able to help another BAer out - we would really appreciate it!!

2. raleighwho

raleighwho Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2014 North Carolina

not a lot of people here are Westbrook. maybe less than 75

3. raleighwho

raleighwho Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2014 North Carolina

hey ej the roads have water on them in certain spots 4 fat asses in a Infiniti drive in it...the roads are safe...just drive in the middle

KhakCane likes this.
  4. EJ1

Any special tappings posted?

5. EJ1

Thanks @raleighwho. You think it'll still be ok at 1?

6. inspektor

inspektor Devotee (482) Jun 20, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

Chocolate Raspberry, Coconut, Coffee, and '12 Cake are pouring outside.

7. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

coconut got me thinking, has anyone heard anything about when the ba version of the 4th anniversary will be released?

8. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (228) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Tequila Cake makes an appearance and still tasting great!

floridadrift likes this.
  9. smithmk2

smithmk2 Initiate (101) Sep 7, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Second the house of brews suggestion. Fantastic place, although some of the bar tenders are a little shady:wink:

CCDuchaine likes this.
  10. EJ1

Not that bad at all. Wasn't sure what to expect. Coming in from the north was fine. Thanks!

11. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,055) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Any surprises with the actual beers released?

Are all 4 the same type of bourbon barrel aged?
    Anybody have any idea what type of bourbon barrels were used for the aging?

12. smithmk2

smithmk2 Initiate (101) Sep 7, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

All prichards

needMIbeer likes this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,690) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Props to Westbrook for putting the safety of their customers first. Theres a lot of water on the roads, trees down, some power outages, just not a great day to drive 5-6 hours or more with so many roads closed and or dangerous.

raverjames, c64person and mjk91383 like this.
  14. inspektor

inspektor Devotee (482) Jun 20, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

I really wish they would bottle Coconut! So good!

LancetherealLeader and KhakCane like this.
  15. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Florida

Did they put coconut bourbon on yesterday?

16. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina

I believe they had a 1/6 barrel of it outside in the early afternoon but that was the only time they tapped it. I checked outside periodically to see what they had on tap out there but unfortunately missed it.

17. apasternak

apasternak Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 District of Columbia

I got there right around 1210, they had Coconut, Raspberry Chocolate, '12 regular and Coffee cake on outside. Inside had Bourbon and Churro. Best surprise was when they popped '14 Tequilla. Biggest disappointment was when the rumors of them tapping/opening Apple Brady turned out to not be true

18. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina

I went outside at around 2:00-2:30 (when Cognac was still on tap outside) and was told by the Westbrook person pouring beers that BA Coconut had in fact been on tap outside and had kicked

19. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

Apple Brandy, Tequila and at least a couple of other variants were opened and poured for random (friends of the brewery??) patrons at the bar throughout the afternoon.

20. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2006 South Carolina

You the bourbon in the coconut and drink them both up!

Actually, I have an idea (no beer involved) I need to try.

21. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,206) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Or were people buying those off the bottle list?

Either way, sounds like an amazing release. I hate to say it but seems like the tsunami-type rains actually probably made things LESS chaotic. I was out of town, but was able to get my bottle allotment. Glad (hope) a good time was had by all!

22. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (228) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Tequila bottles were added to the draft list, they were pouring 8 pours for $6

zac16125 likes this.
  23. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

I saw one of the employees bust out an Apple Brandy and pour to several people at the bar who were very surprised and excited, thanking her many times. I do not think it was one of the purchased bottles.

zac16125 likes this.
  24. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

Thanks to everyone that made it out. This was by far the most relaxed release, despite the shat weather. I think everyone was happy, especially those of us working. Most of the people picked up their beer, and there was only a pallet worth left for people that couldn't make it. I think this will be the way we do it from here on out. BTW, the 50/50 mix of bourbon and churro cake way simply amazing. I want that in bottles!

Robyn, smithmk2, KhakCane and 4 others like this.
  25. KhakCane

KhakCane Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2010 North Carolina

Amazing event. Drove home to Raleigh. What normally takes 4 hours took 8. I95 shut down, had to backtrack to 26 and drove through Coumbia. Columbia was in bad shape. I hope y'all made it home OK, and I hope our SC BAs are ok. Stay safe.

jshusc likes this.
  26. Christoph21

Christoph21 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Florida

After seeing the news it looks like the storm management engineer may have known what he was talking about..

KhakCane likes this.
  27. Gatorwalt

Gatorwalt Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2013 Florida

Me and two friends purchased the bottle of Apple Brandy Cake at the bar...still amazing! And agree with above, the mix of Bourbon and Churro cake was fantastic!

Beer4B likes this.
  28. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

Yikes. Glad we made it through before that happened. Had a little hydroplane scare on the way back on 95 but made it from Westbrook to Raleigh in just over 4 hours.

29. mrrobins1890

mrrobins1890 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina

I can't wait to pick up my beers on Saturday!

mjk91383 likes this.
  30. porknwhiskey

porknwhiskey Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 South Carolina

Be aware, it's still a few days out from the second pickup window but there are A LOT of bridges and roads that are out in both the Charleston and Columbia areas. I-95 is closed for 75 miles north of I-26 and there were a few bad spots on the way to and from columbia on all sides. Plan accordingly.

31. mrrobins1890

mrrobins1890 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully by Saturday my drive down from Charlotte will be somewhat smooth.

32. mjk91383

mjk91383 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 South Carolina

...you do not talk about skull tavern unless you're wanting your posts to be deleted. that's apparently now the first rule.

Shilt, Hopzilla, raverjames and 5 others like this.
  33. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

I can't believe the damage done to South Carolina. Sorry to hear what happened, hope all the Carolina BA's are OK. We were only in MtP for an hour and we drove back, it sounds like that was long enough. Thanks to Westbrook again for hooking it up!!!

smithmk2 likes this.
  34. porknwhiskey

it's getting better here but Columbia is a mess and all that water is coming back our way to CHS.

jshusc likes this.
  35. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (406) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

Weird, and slightly comical, that most/all references to ST are getting removed completely.

36. McAndrew

McAndrew Disciple (371) Jun 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Skulls Tavern is mythical. Might as well be chasing rainbows.

KevSal and marine1975 like this.
  37. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

It is pretty funny that "it" can't even be discussed without being deleted. Anyway yeah even though the storm is over and the sun is out it's still crazy out there, especially coming through Columbia. It's wild seeing chunks of street washed away about a mile from where I used to live.

38. porknwhiskey

Never listen to Mike

39. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

FU. They should change the name to "Voldemort"

porknwhiskey likes this.
  40. tiamat8086

tiamat8086 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 North Carolina

Thanks to all thatade this a fun release. I hope everyone made it home safely. Evidently Skull Tavern was destroyed as well and all references are being removed.

evilcatfish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.