BA Mexican Cake Release Thread

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by c64person, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 Florida

Fuck the Pappy, go right for the AB Cake

jshusc likes this.
  2. commanchetruck

commanchetruck Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire

3. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

Think you are thinking of someone else. I am the one that kept pointing out that a release was just a big PITA for the brewery.

4. raverjames

Where were you a-holes when Edmunds was selling BAMC for $100 a bottle last year? Or when Toronado in Cali sells Cable car for $60-$80 a bottle. That's ok, but breweries shouldn't be allowed to make that kind of money on their own beer.

5. TboneRN

TboneRN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

Why don't they just sell those 2013 sets online for $1000 A pop, wouldn't that make more sense

6. flipdog0

flipdog0 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina

80k for 60 cases of cake. talk about a sham.

7. greensparkplug

greensparkplug Initiate (82) Nov 28, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

I was probably busy buying good beer at a reasonable price.

Fargrow likes this.
  8. raverjames

Or more likely, you were busy complaining on a forum about beer you didn't intend to buy in the first place.

9. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

I have no problem with you defending them because they are your friends and it's your opinion. Just don't tell others we're stupid and don't understand "the business" because we don't agree with you on their pricing strategy. This is beeradvocate.com not beerbusiness.com.

Westbrook likes to make money. We get it. We don't have to like it. And that doesn't mean it is right. It just is.

Fargrow likes this.
  10. Robyn

Robyn Disciple (348) Dec 20, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

How is a for profit business making money not right? Advocating beer doesn't mean they have to be altruists, and live like the stereotypical starving artist to insure everyone has the luxury of drinking their fancy beer. Nobody gets to have everything.

11. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (169) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

They can charge what they want - I am all for capitalism : )

Just find it amusing how folks cheering them for taking care of the locals and complaining about hoarders, mules, etc are now saying they have no problem with this practice - SMH.

PJ_ likes this.
  12. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 North Carolina

The 30th of what month in 2016? :wink: You really think 300 people are going to drop $115 on that bottle in the span of 3 weeks?

Mangbus likes this.
  13. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (169) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

I understand it is a complex process but stop dreading it - solve the problem(s) that make the release a PITA for the
    brewery. There are many breweries that seem to have mastered the release process and have made it into a big positive for their business and their customers. Seems a few phone calls might help WB fix their issues with releases - turn them into
    a positive for the business.

They seem to have created a bigger PITA by their approach to the releases as this thread shows. Have a good day : )

14. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

@Macsimus I think he was always referring to the fact they have major construction in progress and limited parking. I visited the brewery back in late August and the parking situation was horrible for a random/non-release Saturday afternoon.

15. babaBlackSheep

babaBlackSheep Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 North Carolina

Bad comps, I expect that restaurants and bars work under different business models than breweries, especially the case of Toronado. Compare rents between the two zip codes and there is almost no overlap.

That said I have no issue with the people who make the product trying to get all the value they can from it. I think it is just bad branding and marketing. At 100+ a bottle you are selling a luxury good. When Toyota Corporation sells me a luxury car they sell me a Lexus, otherwise they're selling me a Toyota or Scion. When Unilever sells me premium ice cream they sell me Ben and Jerry's, otherwise its Breyers. One brand can't serve all price points. I think that is one thing WW gets right, they've set themselves at the higher end of the market and why we may occasionally grumble it never gets too loud cause everyone knows that's who they are.

16. PurdueBrewCrew

Umm, most of what they sell is $10 6-packs and $6-10 bombers...

gothedistance and raverjames like this.
  17. babaBlackSheep

babaBlackSheep Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 North Carolina

They sell $10 four packs of 11.2 oz beers, 6-15 dollar 500ml bottles not bombers. Admittedly not in the range of 100+ a bottle but I think higher prices, and regardless consistent price point.

#297 babaBlackSheep, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    PurdueBrewCrew likes this.
  18. PurdueBrewCrew

My bad, thought you were talking about Westbrook.

babaBlackSheep likes this.
  19. commanchetruck

commanchetruck Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 New Hampshire

This month. I'd be surprised and pumped if it's not gone.

20. bsyoung

bsyoung Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 South Carolina

I think it will still be available when you go.

21. Mattybz28

Mattybz28 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 South Carolina

Had a blast on Saturday. Made some friends and enjoyed some legit beers. Beers may not be worth $20 / $30 / or even $120 a bottle, but the friendships and memories are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

I have no problem with Westbrook charging whatever they want for their beers. I do have a problem if employees were able to buy the in-house only bottles to then go and sell them for a marked up price.

Westbrook threads are always the best. People get so heated about everything.

23. raverjames

They did solve the problem. The release was simple and relaxed this year. The ticket system online was a breeze. The issue is that the simple release was not enough. People saw Pappy bottles online, and were not happy they only got to buy 2 variants. I had already mentioned earlier that Pappy was likely going to be on site consumption only. Technically, the bottles on that list don't even count as an actual release. You can't take them home.

Edit: Actually, most of the people b1tching didn't come to the release, and had no intentions on buying these beers.

RDMII, TBBAGBIF and Robyn like this.
  24. raverjames

Actually, it was a perfect comparison. Edmund's is in the same area as Westbrook. Technically, if someone followed our laws perfectly, Westbrook would have to sell the 2014 BAMC bottles at $100+ in order to prevent undercutting the other retailers. I am not sure what you are talking about as far as luxury brands go. I don't think that branding matters. You are buying a premium product from the brewery, aged in barrels that are damn difficult to get. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. I wouldn't buy any beer over $50, but then again, I am not the kind of person that cares if I get to try every rare beer.

25. raverjames

Employees were allowed to buy 1 bottle per person. What they do with the bottle is on them. The brewery doesn't generally encourage employees to sell the bottles for profit. I was happy to see the employees get to buy a bottle. They don't often get many perks, beyond discounted beer. It's the little things that keep people happy.

andyctree and TBBAGBIF like this.
  26. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina

If it doesn't sell they'll adjust the price?? Yeah right. Just like they did with the variants from previous years? If it doesn't sell it will be marked up to $500 within a year. Proper aging y'all!!!

I know they can do whatever they can since it is their product but the whole silent stuff, then on-site only, then bottles for friends and employees, then some coconut stayed in bottles, and the homers defending everything that WB does with adjusted logic in this forum brings me the daily laughs. WB and its groupies are fueling the hype machine in every possible way! Please keep it going.

Justified or not, there are a lot of potential customers who are not happy the way this whole thing got handled. Sure, they're not entitled as some of them would think and it is ultimately WB's decision to do what they want. But they can't deny that they seem to be losing more loyal customers that they're gaining.

greensparkplug likes this.
  27. Beer4B

Beer4B Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Florida

So people are a-holes if they think WB charging the most they can "because of capitalism" is a douchey move? Comparing a brewery to a bar's prices is odd.
    I'm not familiar with any other breweries doing this. On the contrary, I see breweries like Cigar City dip into their cellars to encourage donations for charities.
    Again, I don't have a problem with WB testing the profitability ceiling with these things, but it certainly does paint a picture of their intentions with people...for whatever that is worth. The whole taking care of locals or not needing the money thing seems lost. They are definitely squeezing every penny out of that barrel's name. I hope Doug at Cycle doesn't see this!

28. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (228) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

I was actually really impressed, I haven't seen a single bottle for sale. Where are you getting the information?

29. raverjames

People were not happy last year, and there were no $100 bottles. No matter what a brewery does, there are going to be pissed off beer geeks. I am not a homer, but I do work the releases. For the most part, I see nothing but happy people walking away on release day. So anyway, guy from Ohio that would have had to spend $500+ on a trip to get this beer if it were released, they must be doing one or two things right.

Can't wait for next year!

30. bsyoung

bsyoung Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 South Carolina

How was the pappy?

31. Mattybz28

Mattybz28 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 South Carolina

It was a very good beer, but I've not had Pappy itself to get the full effect. Meeting strangers and making friends was what made it awesome.

32. Robyn

Robyn Disciple (348) Dec 20, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

Actual Pappy wins, but if you guys think fancy beer is expensive...

33. PJ_

PJ_ Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 North Carolina

Just moved from their distro footprint 2 months ago. Used to buy a lot of Gose and One Claw and actually landed regular MC and passed on the second run because somewhere in the tier they spiked the price (in GA bought for $12, saw it for $19 a few weeks later). Sorry I didn't know only people from SC were allowed to drop opinions.

mjk91383 likes this.
  34. KRubes

KRubes Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

Wait, you're not a homer?

greensparkplug likes this.
  35. zookerman182

zookerman182 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

It left the brewery...one way or another

36. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (129) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Kill this thread with fire.

mjk91383 and zac16125 like this.
  37. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,193) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Not agreeing with the pricing of the onsite consumption bottles, but I will just say its ironic that people bitch about WB charging high prices, even though if the bottles were released at $50 a bottle for take home consumption they would be on the secondary market almost immediately at something like $400-500 a bottle.

Its a similar argument with concert/sporting event tickets, or other things with a much greater demand than supply. Should the profit go to the producer of the product or some random 3rd party looking to profiteer off the desirability of someone else's work?

Granted I would have loved to see this at $50 a bottle for brewery only consumption, but we don't live in a perfect world. I don't agree with the concept of a brewery upcharging a bottle that much, but I dislike the idea of outrageous secondary market sales even more.

38. raverjames

I don't believe I said you weren't. However, if this beer were released to take home, and you wanted it, the cost of your trip to get it would already be excessive. No one is forcing you to buy this one beer.

39. PurdueBrewCrew

If a beer has never been released to the public for sale, then how is the brewery "upcharging" for it? This is specifically referring to the 2015 Chocolate Bourbon and Pappy, not the vintages.

I hope no one in this thread complaining about the pricing of these bottles ever checks out the vintage menu at Hair of the Dog in Portland...

40. raverjames

Nope, and I defend GI charging $60 for Prop (despite my hatred for AB).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.