Backwoods Bastard 2015

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by OrangeMen, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren2621

Warren2621 Zealot (579) Sep 26, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Also Founders announced Backwoods will be on sale in bottles in their pub October 23 so stop bitching

2. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (459) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Yep, saw that today on Facebook.

3. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (795) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

4. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (533) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

Just MO but the 2015 is just a little different than years past and better. Super smooth and so much flavor. Already a favorite but now even better

Donco likes this.
  5. shawn14526

shawn14526 Initiate (109) Dec 11, 2009 New York
    Trader

Wow that's funny.
    Upstate NY got it way earlier and way cheaper.

6. Jmorey

Jmorey Aspirant (277) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Yeah, i never understand how things aren't cheaper from the source. You don't have to pay any distribution, shipping, its your own product, etc. This bugs me with most breweries and wineries "This bottle of wine is 14.99" Ummmm i am pretty sure I can go to the grocery store and buy it for $7. I get wholesale pricing and your big accounts get better discounts etc, but how can anyone get a better price than YOU.

Also, i feel like founders is back and forth on this. Blushing monk came out and they sold it for I think 17 or 18. My local store was 15. But when KBS comes out their price is the best, out the door for $20, best I could find was I think 22 + tax + dep. which was around 24-25 by the end.

7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (176) Jun 7, 2005 New York

This is a very old argument, but it's because the brewery would then be competing with their retailers.

And that's a bad look when a majority of your business is done through them.

8. Dave123

Dave123 Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2014 Michigan

Has anyone found 2015 Backwoods in SE Michigan yet?

9. DrunkMcGruff

DrunkMcGruff Initiate (130) Apr 21, 2013 Michigan

I'm glad everyone but Grand Rapids is enjoying this one to two weeks early. I got this on my delivery yesterday, 'fresh' off the truck.
    [​IMG]

hopnado likes this.
  10. Donco

Donco Devotee (471) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Uh...wrong beer for this thread.

troygreer and maximum12 like this.
  11. Donco

Also on tap at Founders tomorrow.

12. DrunkMcGruff

Right beer for my statement/argument in this thread however.

Johnct, hopnado and Gemini6 like this.
  13. krustster

krustster Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2013 Maine

Last year we didn't get Red's Rye here for some reason when it came out, then eventually it showed up in January (this year). And it was bottled in 2013! :grimacing:

14. Jmorey

Trader

I thought Red's Rye was draft only?

Gemini6 likes this.
  15. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (474) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

That is really too bad. I've seen this stuff hit east Michigan under 10 days old. I suspect it sits longer as the days get colder.

Gemini6 likes this.
  16. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Damn! That's pretty crazy. At my store in Ohio we just got some yesterday and the date was 10/7/15!

17. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (769) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Trader

Picked up the last 4pk at WF Bowery in NYC, was 16.99

18. MadeInTheMitten

MadeInTheMitten Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 Michigan

Got our cases today. Can't sell any until Monday. So everyone in MI should find it next week.

Gemini6, foundersfan1 and docoman like this.
  19. DrunkMcGruff

lol thats ridiulous, but I think that was the distributors error not Founder's, I'll give them that.
    Yeah, as of 2015 Red's Rye is no longer being bottled, although for a limited time, you can buy it in bomber bottles for $12.99 ($2 more expensive than when it used to come in 6pks) under the new moniker 'ReDankulous' :wink:

Hopefully now my point/frustration with Founders not caring about Grand Rapids is better understood. It's not unwarranted.

Someone pointed out above that Founders basically revitalized downtown Grand Rapids, and sure, they played their part, but the city would have grown regardless, with or without Founders, 'Beer City USA', etc. Mark Sellers has done more for Grand Rapids than Founders could have ever shake a stick at. (Mark Sellers is the founder of a little place many people may not have heard of called Hopcat which was ranked 3rd Best Beer Bar in the World by this very site)

Backwoods Bastard will be hitting shelves on starting Monday in Grand Rapids, if anyone is interested. It'll already be a few months old, but I like my BB with some age anyways. At least they can still keep BB consistent year to year. It's the only beer they make worth getting my business.

20. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (459) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

When I go to GR twice a year, my first stop is always HopCat for some awesome brew, crack fries, and more beer. It's not uncommon to be in blackout-mode* because of all the stuff I want to try at Hopcat!

*actually only blacked out once when I got back to the hotel... Hopcat dominates. Best beer bar in the US.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  21. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,428) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

[sound of a grinding axe]

22. grr32

grr32 Initiate (33) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

About two/three weeks ago I bought a 4pk of 4Elf dated 8/17. Store said it was just released. I guess Dark Horse doesn't care about GR either :slight_frown:

troygreer likes this.
  23. Beerbom

Beerbom Defender (689) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Trader

Ok Northern CA people it's official...KBS and backwoods bastard have arrived here. Bevmo in Antioch, CA has at least 20 more four packs of KBS there as of 10:00 AM today when I left. Apparently the Pinole location had some KBS left too as of 7:00 PM last night. The Pleasanton location ran out of the KBS and BB as of yesterday (check with them) but still has Blushing monk. Get on it other fellow BA people...other locations may have some too but this is what I'm sure of.

BrownBottle likes this.
  24. Jmorey

Trader

Man have they just been sitting on that KBS? Doubt they got a new shipment.

chrismann65 likes this.
  25. croush

croush Champion (802) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think CA just started getting Founders, so I'm guessing they gave them some of it as part of their intro to the market. Lucky them...wish I was randomly in northern CA right now. I still have about 5 KBS at home, but I'd like more!

chrismann65 likes this.
  26. SpartanMSU03

SpartanMSU03 Aspirant (295) May 30, 2014 Michigan

Any idea on how long this will last at the general store / taproom ? I was thinking maybe next Wends heading down there but also considering if it's raining out to skip tailgating at MSU tomorrow to swing over to GR first.

27. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (474) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

How much is BB at the general store?

28. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,372) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

$16/4-pack. $96/case. 1 case limit per person per day.

29. Donco

Just cracked the case: Darker than last year, but after warming up a bit, fantastic smell and taste. A winner....again!

docoman and BriantheBeerGeek like this.
  30. Schempy

Schempy Initiate (64) Oct 8, 2014 Arizona

Just landed in the Phx area. Grabbed 2 4-packs. Can wait to get home and enjoy this awesome beer.

31. ElGallo

ElGallo Savant (998) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

$11.50 a 4-pack at my local, which is a very nice price

foundersfan1, Gemini6 and Jmorey like this.
  32. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Disciple (305) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

That is an awesome price. I would be all over that.

foundersfan1, ElGallo and Gemini6 like this.
  33. Punisher1976

Punisher1976 Initiate (76) Jan 4, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

They said they have 800 cases and they expect it to last about a week.

SpartanMSU03 and Gemini6 like this.
  34. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Picked up two 4 packs yesterday in Buffalo. $33 flat incl. tax

35. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,428) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

Any AA sightings yet? This might be my favorite Founders beer. Toss up with RIS.

36. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

That's ridiculously cheap. Is beer normally that cheap in NH? It's over $18 a four pack all over NYC area.

37. ElGallo

ElGallo Savant (998) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Typically no. This particular store randomly sells good beer at low prices. I bought Founders Harvest yesterday for $9.99. Two years ago they were selling Backwoods B for $8.99 in February to clear out the product. Last year they had a fire sale on 4-packs of Chimay Blue for $4.99 cash only. This summer they had BA Bigfoot for $14.99. But some days you go in and there's no deals (at this level). Random for sure.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  38. Beerbom

Beerbom Defender (689) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Trader

The KBS bottles in California are dated 3/5/15 so they've clearly been sitting on them. The backwoods bastard is dated 9/24/15 which makes sense. I agree that Founders is trying to give these to California as an introduction to the market.

chrismann65 likes this.
  39. Chappy04

Chappy04 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2015 Michigan

I was just scouting a store out as to when they get their shipment in and what do I find? A four pack of 2014 Backwoods Bastard bottled last October. It's going to be a good day.

chrismann65 and foundersfan1 like this.
  40. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

So was it last years?? :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.