1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Bad growler fill. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by The_Craft_Deviant_Rob, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Craft_Deviant_Rob

The_Craft_Deviant_Rob Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 New Jersey

So a few days ago I purchased a growler from a local NYC shop that I frequent and often spend a decent amount of money at per transaction. The gentleman behind the counter showed me a new kind of growler that was plastic(like the water bags at concerts) and assured me it was safe from oxidation. I purcahsed both the bag and the growler from said man, whom I've come to trust in mutal beer respect, however when I opened the growler today it was clearly oxidized and wet papery. Can I return it? I poured a single glass and re-screwed it. Should I complain and boycott? I'm a good customer of theirs and I know its not proper etiquette to return something like this but I feel kind of slighted.

2. jawas

jawas Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2013 New Jersey

I own my business in the restaurant field, been in the restaurant business for 20+ years. If you have a good relationship with this business, of course let them know and hope they will fix this problem for you, even if it is just giving you money back or credit or another fill whatever, let them have the chance to fix something they may not know is broken. One bad experience should not equal boycott of a business that you have many positive experiences. Now if this is just another situation of got screwed again, and they won't do anything to fix it, than yes stop giving them your money.

3. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (783) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Boycott for sure. It's the only reasonable thing to do

Stigs, markgugs, MikeWard and 15 others like this.
  4. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,034) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

Bring it back. Show him the problems with it. See what he is willing to do. Make you decision to boycott based on the response

5. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Disciple (310) Jan 26, 2014 New York

Take it back but in a respective way.

The only thing thats wrong with taking back clearly defective product is if you do it in a disrespectful way (i.e. the psychos that scream and rant). A business should know if the product they are selling is sub-standard, its their responsibility to correct the problem, not for you to eat the loss.

creepinjeeper, cherche and jrnyc like this.
  6. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,077) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Give them the chance to right the wrong. I am sure they would be happy to know this new growler thing isn't working well so they don't lose customers. Boycott is quite harsh and should only be considered if there response to you is not reasonable.

7. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (524) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Why don't you take the highroad you already should know to take since you claim you are a good customer and share your concern them. As a good customer who has established a basis of trust and communication with this place, it's on you to make sure they know you with your "good customer" status have been let down by something they are doing. You are their eyes and ears as that good customer, so you should be as concerned for them as a good customer should be that this is not going as well for them as they intended.
    Seriously, your mention of the word boycott while simultaneously proclaiming you are a good customer who has respect and trust for them sends chills up my spine as to what kind of loyal customer you actually are to them.

8. mitchgx

mitchgx Initiate (122) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona

And contact a lawyer.

9. firstlighthiker

firstlighthiker Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Tennessee

I think of the places where I am a good customer - a regular visitor/purchaser known by name and who spends more time in the store than it takes to make my purchases; and I would believe all of them would want me to give an honest opinion of an unsatisfactory experience. One bad growler would never make me skip these establishments.

10. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (103) Aug 14, 2010 Florida

Before I attempted to return the defective item I'd probably sit down and write a lengthy letter to my U.S. Representative and Senator. Injustice cannot go unheard. But, that's just me.

markgugs, GreesyFizeek, jrnyc and 3 others like this.
  11. wingedeel

wingedeel Zealot (515) Nov 17, 2005 Indiana
    Trader

So, you are asking if you should boycott a place where you have had multiple positive prior transactions, or instead nicely explain to them that you had a problem ? I think you know the answer.

12. Belial

Belial Initiate (120) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

ever seen that movie FALLING DOWN starring michael douglas?

13. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Flavors of oxidation like wet paper won't show up after a few days, weeks, or even months. If the growler seal was bad, the beer would just be flat. Was the growler filled with an aged beer that perhaps was oxidized when it was poured...or was it just filled with a bad tasting beer?

14. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I would go back to the store and politely let them know. Depending on the cost, I might or might not ask for a refund or credit. I would have probably done that before posting on here about it.

SammyJaxxxx and MostlyNorwegian like this.
  15. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (524) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

As a "good customer" who has established who you are with them, i.e. established that they can and would actually trust, or at least listen to you with your opinion. It'd be a total dick move on your part to boycott them.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,754) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Just me but if you are known there I would just casually say the beer was bad and you were wondering if they would stand by it and refund or give you another fill in a regular growler...if they say no, that is when you boycot.....another fill for them is pennies on the dollar...if they don't do that shop somewhere else..

The_Craft_Deviant_Rob likes this.
  17. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,454) Dec 2, 2009 New York

return it, especially if you spend a lot of money there. if they're at all respectable, i would bet they comp you a growler, and in the end everyone's happy, no harm no foul. you don't sound like you want to boycott them.

yeah, exactly this. a growler isn't shit in the long run, and most businesses want you as a customer.

----

edit2: p.s. surprised at people from new york telling you not to go in and yell and shit. if you're talking about NYC, you have to do that shit from time to time if you don't want to get fucked over. it's annoying, but why should you pay for people's mistakes? like when people get your order wrong in a restaurant, sure, politely mention it, but if the waiter is like "i'm sorry, but we can't help you," you should escalate to like not paying, contacting manager, making a scene, etc. different strokes for different folks, but sometimes there is only one way, especially here.

if that doesn't strike you as right, think of it this way: establishments often disrespect you, directly. like, "i'm allergic to mushrooms, please no mushrooms," dish comes with mushrooms, you mention it, waiter says, "too bad, we don't make exceptions." what is happening here? the waiter / restaurant are saying to you, outright, "fuck you and fuck your allergies." you're supposed to be polite? if someone tells you "this growler works," and it doesn't, and when you bring it back they say "too bad," *they just stole money from you, outright*. how is that ever okay? when did stealing and disrespect become something you need to be polite about?

#17 Pahn, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. The_Craft_Deviant_Rob

The_Craft_Deviant_Rob Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 New Jersey

Alright so just to clarify I was projecting the situation in which I would be told to proverbially "fuck off" when I said should I boycott. Obviously having the conversation is the first point of action. I'll be heading into the city this week and I'll report back what happened but I thank you all for your input.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  19. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

I learned the hard way to quit buying growlers unless they use a counterfill system. Too often I got home to a flat or oxidized growler and sure hell by day 2. That being said, I've never had a brewer or store worker even flinch at a refill for a flat or oxidized growler.

20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,513) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

The one time I had a problem like this I went back and explained the problem. The first thing the person managing that day said was, "Sorry you had that problem, can I get you a new fill to make up for it?" I am sure you will have a similar experience where you shop.

21. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (3,621) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania

Sure they will fill you up a fresh one before refunding your money. I actually had a growler fill come up short and was worried they would think I drank some. When I went back they pop the top with carbonation at topped it off.

22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (561) Mar 28, 2009 California

^^This is true.

The beer is bad and not the growler. You could take any growler and crack it open for days and the taste won't sour it will be just flat. Some if the flavor may faded but not a wet cardboard flavor from oxidization.

23. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

I'd hire a Santeria Priest to put a curse on the owner and all the employees. Hang a dead chicken on the door so they know what's up.

LagersAndAles and jrnyc like this.
  24. turbotype

turbotype Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

If I boycotted every place that I got a funky beer at, I wouldn't have too many places to drink. Look, if it's a nice place, just explain the problem and I'm sure someone will help you out.

25. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

were they BOTH "oxidized and wet papery" or was it just the new plastic bag type of growler? You only mentioned opening one growler.

26. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

Your being a bit dramatic. He was talked into buying something that turned out to be crap. It's only human nature to wonder if there was intentional deception.

BTW a good customer doesn't owe future business. The past has established his quality as customer. It's on the business to keep the good customers coming back.

cavedave likes this.
  27. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

I don't get why folks are shy about returning anything they bought. If it isn't right, the business is obligated to take a return and they should be obliged to do so. Whether intentional or not, they misrepresented a product and when the misrepresentation is discovered the agreed upon transaction is no longer valid.

28. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (513) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Instead of the boycott option if he gives you the blow off dump the beer and fill the growler with used motor oil, light it up and chuck it through his front window. :angry::angry::angry:

nicholasofcusa and FarmerTed like this.
  29. gory4d

gory4d Defender (637) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

30. zero_signal

zero_signal Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 New Jersey

[​IMG]

31. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I'd sack up and chug that sh!t, go back and ask for more.

32. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,468) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Could you turn the growler into a molotov cocktail?

33. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Did you try the beer on tap before you got a growler from that keg? It could have been already oxidized/old in the keg itself.

34. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,012) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Triple Like!

35. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

The only? Clearly you've never mixed laundry detergent and gasoline.

rozzom likes this.
  36. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (239) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Find a board on the interweb, and post horrible things about them ?

Not sure why your uncertain, just take it back, even let them try it if they want. Worst they can tell you is, that's what that crap taste's like, good luck. At best, they give you a new fill. Just don't be belligerent about it.

37. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (830) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Maybe you could start by actually sending out the box that you owe someone in the BIF that you, yourself started... you are now over a month late on sending out this box...instead of wasting time going buying growlers in the city and then complaining about them here... (sounds like you have enough time to pack up a box man...)

No, I'm not joking about this everyone... http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-locals-hints-and-hauls-thread.180634/

38. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

So what happened?

39. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (830) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

The guy that started this thread also started a "locals BIF" (link is above... ) The shipping window ended June 15th. Everyone sent their box in that time frame. Except the guy who actually started the BIF himself. And he still hasn't shipped as of today... And apparently he has plenty of extra time on his hands (enough time to pack up a box at least) if he's making frequent trips to the city from Jersey to get growler fills.... Everyone in our BIF is not happy with this guy to say the least

UcDru and Poorpatz like this.
  40. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (1,618) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

not sure I'd buy beer in plastic in the first place. But, head on back to the store with a smile on your face. If he gives you any grief, it might just happen to slip out of your fingers, might'n it? :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.