Bad impulse purchases?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CB_Michigan, Jul 31, 2021.

1. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (222) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Stupid lack of impulse control. I know I’ll probably regret this but I can’t seem to stop myself. Who else can relate to making rash decisions when you really should know better?
    [​IMG]
    The sad thing is I’m always disappointed by the TJ’s Cookie Butter. It sounds better than it actually tastes.

maximum12, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 10 others like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,591) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Why am I not surprised.

hopsputin, DrOfGolf, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,094) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Does it? :worried:

Just me, but I'd glance at that label and shake my head. And keep moving.

DCH, JohnnyHopps, WCKDVBZ and 9 others like this.
  4. CB_Michigan

Trader

I meant the actual Cookie Butter spread that the beer is based on sounds better than it tastes. Honestly, I didn’t even look at the beer’s ingredient list, I saw “Speculoos Cookie Butter” and into the cart it went. :worried:
    You think I’d learn after buying the Speculoos ice cream and Joe-Joe cookies and cereal and toaster pastries…:rofl:

Benish, DrOfGolf, Peach63 and 9 others like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,208) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I rarely go food shopping just for that reason. However, when beer shopping I almost always know what I want and try to resist looking around. I don't trust myself.

LeRose, DrOfGolf, SFACRKnight and 7 others like this.
  6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,121) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

7. BigIronH

BigIronH Crusader (706) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Man that sounds killer! I’m definitely into trying experimental stuff as well. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they miss.

8. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,693) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Sometimes you have a girlfriend who buys a pink bottle or two from Rogue...

9. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,109) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii

If you don't try how would you know if it is any good? You might find that you actually like it and then think that you should have bought more. Its like the first person to have ever eaten an egg. Who would have thought that something that comes out of a chicken's butt could taste so good? Someone had to have the impulse to try it. Let us know what you think of your beer once you try it.

10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,170) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Look what I bought this afternoon:
    [​IMG]

11. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (339) Aug 24, 2020 California

As related on the NA beer forum I stupidly believed Bravus IPA (NA) was worth trying after being convinced by the rep who offered to sell me a single can to try. I had read the poor reviews on BA but wasted my money on that awful dreck anyway.

12. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,936) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Bravus was undrinkable. Literally I don’t know how they stay in business.

13. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Meyvn (1,402) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Hm. I like milkshakes, but didn't even need to try a cake shake to know that was a bridge too far. I tend to do the same thing with beer, hence my irrational avoidance of pastry stouts. That said, I've caved to a few pulpy sours loaded up with fruit puree myself, with more misses than hits, Drekker's being the notable "hits."

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,256) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Not sure if others are like this, but why am I more likely to splurge on a $20 4 pack when on travel from a reputable brewer I’ve heard about or perhaps have good history with their beers) vs a $20 4 pack at my local store (even if it’s from a reputable brewer I’ve had positive history with). Splurge while away but frugal while at home…anyone else fall into this buying behavior?

15. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

100%

When Im home I try to stay on budget - try being the operative word there. But when Im traveling/on vacation its too easy to just buy whatever because I've only got that one shot to grab it while Im there.

BigIronH, tobelerone, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,881) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

At least you're not stuck with 6 undrinkable beers from the two four packs you bought. I can't even cook with this shit.

17. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (877) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yup, it’s too easy to grab a few options while on vacation. I justify by being on vacation and telling myself it’s just a few $ extra. At home I am quite frugal.

Enjoy

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,861) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Every damn time. Can't help myself at all when on the road.

BigIronH, LeRose, oldmankoch and 3 others like this.
  19. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (112) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

At least it was off the discount shelf, but for me it was Off Color "Beer for Pizza". Well, I like beer and I like pizza. But I hate cola and this stuff, a beer somehow engineered with cola in mind, was rank.

20. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,793) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

When I hear "bad impulse buy," I think of Rinkuškiai Before-After Triple Bock. I ran across this at a Total Wine in Norfolk a few years ago. (It was hard to miss with the big yellow "12% ABV" tag hanging from the neck of the bottle.) A Lithuanian booze bomb for $1.99? What could possibly go wrong? Let's just say instant headache, and it's all downhill from there. If you're looking to get drunk on the cheap, this is probably not the way you want to go.

21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,302) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Almost any milkshake IPA purchase was a regret.

22. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I had a single of that one and it was … not great! Was so glad it was just a single.

BigIronH, BillAfromSoCal and ChicagoJ like this.
  23. CB_Michigan

Trader

Well, I’ll give Trader Joe’s credit for truth in advertising. This tastes like a freaking delicious sugar cookie. I would eat an entire package of those! Buuuuut, it’s not exactly what I want in a beer. It’s super sweet but I’m mildly impressed with the light touch of toasted coconut. It’s like the beer version of a Starbucks dessert latte (for those near Chicago, it’s similar to a few of Maplewood’s Cake ales, but a little more heavy-handed). For $5, I don’t regret it, but it’s definitely a one-and-done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,279) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'd sum that up as a "Bad Impulse" alright...

BigIronH likes this.
  25. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (475) Feb 2, 2015 New York

A few weeks ago I went on a short trip to Massachusetts to visit relatives. I didn't even look at a package store, or attempt to visit a brewery. I just don't think I want to try a few things (chosen from the thousands of products offered), unless, for something I like, I can be assured of getting a regular supply for home consumption. Money isn't the overriding obstacle. I did visit the new local place twice, Long Island Farm Brewery. I added their location to BA and reviewed a few beers.

BigIronH and BillAfromSoCal like this.
  26. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,359) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm a victim of this too...always a little sad when, after the first few sips, I know I've pissed my money away...it happens though...

27. CB_Michigan

Trader

I always get in trouble with the high-priced one-offs. $13 for a bottle of some stout I’ve never tried? Eh, seems expensive…wait, it’s aged in Rye barrels??? In that case, I’ll take 2!

28. G_Harn78

G_Harn78 Initiate (9) Mar 13, 2020 California

Yes, I made it through three sips then immediately put in garbage outside, no shot I could even pawn it off on some buddies…heck I didn’t even want to leave it out for bums! Goodness it was bad

29. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,316) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Every time I buy a beer brewed with Sabro I tell myself: ‘Maybe it will be good this time and not taste like off-brand sunscreen. Let me give it a try!’

I’m always wrong.

BigIronH, PapaGoose03, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  30. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Disciple (339) Aug 24, 2020 California

Can't say I have ever downed a gulp of off brand sunscreen, but based on recent experience a beer rep could probably sell me on the merits of doing it....god, please keep me off used car lots. I would probably come home with an AMC Pacer.

31. cid71

cid71 Initiate (119) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

It's usually a style I don't care for. Not a big sour fan but I'll see one with a 97 rating or something. Than I pop it open and say damn that's sour. Duh

BigIronH, ChicagoJ, TCgenny and 4 others like this.
  32. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,085) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

100% yes ... it's not a beer thing for anymore but a whisk[e]y thing and it does exist. I do OK at keeping to a budget in the real world. But if I've got some time off and visit a distillery? Katie bar the door!!!

33. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,133) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

That was me with Citra, "Maybe it won't taste like a rotten orange."

34. CB_Michigan

Trader

I’ve had a couple that were OK and only one that was great, but I just avoid it these days.

It took me forever to realize that Amarillo smells and tastes like day-old unwashed running socks.

35. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,573) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I'll often buy the odd thing that appeals to something in my imagination. Sure...I could be well-informed and knowledgeable and all that stuff but I like to try some of the oddball things for myself. Allagash Kurkuma - very nice beer brewed with turmeric. I don't dig the fruited sours as a rule but Barreled Souls Little Havana makes me happy and it is fruity as all hell. You never know unless you try. Win some, lose some..

36. CB_Michigan

Trader

I wish I could say the same for my son:expressionless: To top it off, the boy grabbed the closest beverage to get rid of the taste (yep, ‘twas my WCIPA). My first thought was “Sabro?” but based on his reaction I’m not sure which tasted worse to him.
    #parentoftheyear

37. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,861) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think the "bad impulse purchase" might have been the ingredients that the brew house director chose.

"Dammit Tim, we told you to stop ordering from the Schwan's truck on brewday!"

BigIronH, bubseymour, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  38. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,088) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this one at the local Russian market I visit from time to time. The high ABV is enough of a red flag. On the other hand, and in the spirit of this thread, I cannot resist picking up any number of other random Eastern European & Russian beers that they carry—especially the ones with the more …dramatic label art or unique packaging. I’m a sucker for swing top bottles of indeterminate origin beers, and pictures of heroic workers hoisting frothy steins, apparently.