Bad Trader: tristana123

Discussion in 'Bad Traders' started by Rustytacos, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Aspirant (243) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Looking for some help and insight. I’m not going to be vague and not beat around the bush. The other day @boarder1999 posted that he was looking for bbt3 because the one he had traded for previously wasn’t good, here’s the thread

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...orc-lord-rr-chaos-grid-breakfast-lord.642243/

I actually commented on his thread and looked to see who he traded with recently and I noticed I had also traded with same guy for a bbt3. I messaged the op to confirm the trader which was @tristana123 . I offered to share my bottle with @boarder1999 so we could compare but he’s in Socal and I’m in SF. So I just went ahead opened it last night and it wasn’t good. I had the same experience: thin, little to no carb, smell was off and tasted like an old stout that has been previously opened. I am not a expert but this definitely was not a bbt3. I had my bother and his girlfriend (both craftbeer nuts like myself) taste this and they had similar experience with this bottle: not very good. I already sent a message to @tristana123 but I’m not going to wait for a response. Either he’s scamming or he got scammed but either way this has to be out in the open.

So the insight and help I’m looking for is this: Have there been any reports of bbt3 being rebottled before?
    Are there bad bottles out there?

I could believe it’s possible but 2 different trades with the same guy and both bottles go bad? I have over 80 trades and countless more on other platforms and I have a somewhat handle of what’s good and not good. If I’m wrong then I’ll take whatever punishment comes my way but I’m confident something is up. I apologize to the mods if this isn’t the way to handle this. I know this ultimately falls under my word against yours but anyone near SF that’s wants to come by and try this out feel free to contact me (I know because of COVID this isn’t the best time to do this).

Read: Update to the BeerAdvocate Community from Columbus Brewing Company

2. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (63) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

You all might be interested in this thread as it appears you all have recently traded with the BA in question. Not sure what you all traded for and nothing has been confirmed yet, but best to be aware.

@JPick @maltznhopz @blkgld @Asdvt @joromiller

3. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (309) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Did anything appear looks wise? Funny wax job etc?

diamondlie likes this.
  4. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (461) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

This was the first thing that popped into my head as well... BBT has an absolutely beautiful wax job and it seems like it would be easy to pick up any issues. I think back to the issue with TG bottles a few years ago, the rewaxing was pretty obvious.

5. Rustytacos

Trader

I took pictures of everything. The top looked very generic but I’ve seen some similar. The wax looked ok and it was easy to open up. For instance when I opened up a maman before it was a pita to open even with that pull tab. The bbt3 I just pulled it slightly and it opened up, nice and clean. Never had a bbt so I wouldn’t know how it is. The bottle itself looked kind of messy but like someone had dropped beer on it previously so label was a little sticky.

6. JPick

JPick Initiate (189) Sep 7, 2013 Missouri
    Trader

Wow, that sucks. I traded for a BBT from this guy, but haven’t opened it yet. One thing I’ll note is that he has a Missouri tag on his name but had me ship to Ohio.

7. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (309) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I say post pics here....maman and bbt have similar wax jobs (Thicccc)
    But posting here will get more eyes on the wax. Even on a opened bottle. Post all pics possible.

8. JPick

Trader

In general, mine looks like it’s been thru a war. And that divot on the 2nd picture doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Not sure if that pull tab is regulation either...looks long? I never paid attention before, but not that it’s been called out, I would guess mine is not authentic either.

9. JPick

Trader

Images didn’t come thru. I tried to copy and paste in, but I guess that didn’t work. Not sure how to post a photo?

Victory_Sabre1973 and FBarber like this.
  10. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (480) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

Here we goooooo...

11. Rustytacos

Trader

Mine pull tab was pretty long as well and label was abused as well, I chalked it up to normal wear and tear, Ive seen worse though. I know someone showed me how to post pics but I can’t find out where I last saw it.

FBarber likes this.
  12. Rustytacos

Trader

I’d say hold on really tight!

13. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Devotee (483) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Seems like a lot of bottles went in the wind curious how this turns up get those pics up @Rustytacos and maybe someone else ideally someone who picked up themselves

FBarber, KevSal and Rustytacos like this.
  14. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Defender (659) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

You have to put your image on another host's server, I use imgur.com, then copy the location address, click the insert picture icon at the top of your reply window and paste the image location adddress.

15. colby600

colby600 Defender (637) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

This is how I do it.
    [​IMG]

16. Rustytacos

Trader

I’m only on my phone, is there a way you can do this by phone?

17. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (63) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

@John_M not sure what mods can do but it looks like @tristana123 has an open trade. Is it possible to see who it is with and warn them about possible refilled bottles being traded?

18. colby600

colby600 Defender (637) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I only use my phone

19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,664) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I think it's too soon for that. I've read over this thread and at this point it's all just speculation as to what occurred. I do want to hear what @tristana123 has to say in response to @Rustytacos message.

Unfortunately, this sort of behavior has been going on for a while in the world of wine. As certain beers have gotten more and more expensive, valuable and desirable, it was predictable that in time we would start seeing this in the beer community as well.

In the world of wine, it's taken interaction by the wineries involved to confirm that various victims were being defrauded. So
    That might be something the OP may want to consider as well at some point.

Really hope this turns out to be a case of mistaken impression, but the fact is it would very easy to perpetrate this kind of scheme.

20. MattOC

MattOC Devotee (406) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh, no...

Prince_Casual and rmpic82 like this.
  21. rmpic82

Society Trader

I think it’s absol
    I’ve seen jpick’s photos - it doesn’t look good

22. MattOC

Trader

Ah, shit. Was sort of hoping boarder came back with more info in that thread. It seemed like a bit more detail was warranted. I hope this isn't what it looks like it is, but I don't have a great feeling given we have two people with similar experiences from the same person with the same bottle.

m34josh, FBarber, Hopelessly0 and 2 others like this.
  23. MattOC

Trader

YIKES. Sorry @JPick

FBarber, JPick and rmpic82 like this.
  24. rmpic82

Society Trader

Three people

ChicagoJ, FBarber and MattOC like this.
  25. MattOC

Trader

Yup, thanks Ryan. boarder, rusty, and jpick...

FBarber likes this.
  26. MattOC

Trader

Pet peeve of mine, silly I know, but can’t stand when people don’t have an accurate location listed. Takes two seconds to update if you’ve moved, etc.

27. SaucerfulOfSecrets

SaucerfulOfSecrets Initiate (131) Jul 13, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

wow this is nutty. I've heard of this happening in the bourbon world, but resealing waxed whales is a bold play.

28. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (321) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Where in Ohio did he have you ship to? I feel like this wouldn’t be too tough to narrow down

29. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Defender (659) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Been done before with KBBS

30. JPick

Trader

Columbus, OH

FBarber likes this.
  31. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (95) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Minor point but I don’t think I’ve ever run into a SP bottle with sticky/dried beer on it. Obviously not conclusive since there are legitimate ways that can happen post purchase

32. Rustytacos

Trader

33. Rustytacos

Trader

Can anyone confirm want I post works and you can see my pics?

34. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Will do some research.

EDIT - Just realized you likely know the guys name. Just out his ass

35. Heisenbrew

Heisenbrew Initiate (138) Aug 21, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

It works.

For what it’s worth a lot of my recent SP bottles have creases on the label like that.

That wax job looks like bad though. There appears to be an indent around the bottom of the bottle head when actual SP wax jobs don’t have that.

OakvilleKGB, m34josh, KevSal and 4 others like this.
  36. Rustytacos

Trader

It might be Brodie but this is what he had given me.
    Bodie Underwood
    Columbus, Ohio

Honestly I don’t want to put his full address out there because there might be a slight chance of some explanation. I’m not holding my breath though.

KevSal likes this.
  37. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Gotcha. Gonna reach out to a few folks. No reason to put an address out there. Name is enough

38. RyanMcFly1985

Trader

Also betting that may be a fake name. Bodhi (though spelled differently) is a very popular Columbus beer

39. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (207) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

“Bodie Underwood?” That’s almost definitely a fake name lol.

40. Rustytacos

Trader

Hindsight is 20/20.

What sucks is that his trades were all good trades, all positive.