Bagging Hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ironchefmiyagi13, Nov 26, 2016.

1. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Defender (642) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Hello Everyone,

My question is about bagging hops for the dry-hop as opposed to adding them in by themselves.

I ferment in conical fermenters, and since I have been brewing hops with a bill along the lines of Trillium, I have had the outport get clogged to where kegging takes hours. However, the end result is is super cloudy, juicy and very aromatic.

However, to make kegging easier, I have started adding hops to a large muslin bag. While this makes kegging a breeze, I have noticed that while I still get plenty of flavor and aroma, the beer is VERY clear. I have changed nothing really besides this, and I was wondering if other people had possibly noticed this difference. Does the bag act as a natural filter that absorbs yeast cells and proteins in the beer?

I brew my IPAs to be cloudy, and the fact they are clear is not what I want. Does anyone have any advice as to be able to have my cake and eat it to, to coin a phrase?

Thanks!

Cheers!

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,543) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I have only brewed one so called ‘NE’ style IPA (a clone of Trillium Galaxy Fort Point Pale Ale). I dry hopped in the primary (a bucket) using pellet hops in muslin bags and that beer turned out murky/opaque.

I used Fermentis S-04 yeast for that batch.

As regards the notion of the bag acting as a natural filter that absorbs yeast cells and proteins in the beer, that certainly was not the case for me.

Cheers!

3. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (195) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I know that people here are very against it, but if you specifically want a hazy IPA, add flour. That's what the pros do when they want haze for no reason other than appearance.

DrMindbender likes this.
  4. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (347) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Perhaps split the hops half bagged half not. I'd think you would have some keg going issues but more cloudy brew. Look into stainless steel screening as a hop container or buy some hop spiders. Just guessing

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,407) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Which pros are doing this?

warchez likes this.
  6. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Beer Trader

There was a thread on here a while back about flour in NE IPAs specifically. I'll try to link it below. It mentions that Trillium and Tired Hands have used flour in specific beers they have brewed, but not most of their beers. I also mentioned that AZ Wilderness here locally used flour in their NE IPAs, and this was soon after doing doing a collar with Tired Hands, so I can't help but think they learned the "trick" from them.

An interesting article was also linked to in the thread about haze and flour. Link for that below as well.

http://beergraphs.com/bg/973-two-brewers-admit-their-methods-for-haze/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...reweries-that-use-flour-in-their-ipas.462886/

DrMindbender and VikeMan like this.
  7. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Aspirant (211) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

to be clear...we (trillium) used whole wheat flour in the mash (not ) once in a collab beer we made with Amager. no starch survived the mash, full conversion was attained, as is intended for all of our hoppy beers.

warchez likes this.
  8. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Beer Trader

Thanks for the insight. I suppose that's a point that isn't usually clarified in the discussion on flour and haze: when in the process the flour is added. I always assumed that when someone (or some brewery) said they used flour, it meant in the mash. Perhaps I am wrong.

Are you saying that flour should not contribute haziness if it is added in the mash? Therefore, if someone were to use flour to make a beer hazy, it would need to be during or after the boil?

9. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Aspirant (211) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

Wheat flour in the mash shouldn't theoretically have any more of an impact on haze in the finished beer than an equivalent amount of raw wheat (milled!) or flaked wheat. If added in the boil, you'll get a permanent starch haze...I cant comment on impact on mouthfeel, flavor nor about relative impact on quantities used. it's just not something we've experimented with