Baladin's Xyauyu Barrel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ynnpar, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ynnpar

ynnpar Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2007 United Kingdom (England)

Bought a bottle for a special occasion the other day for $61. Special occasion was indeed special and we ended up drinking the whole bottle. Overall i feel a bit let down given the cost - not because I thought it was bad, but more because it didn't strike me as that different from the original versions. The fume remains my favorite of the series, I think - lots of wonderful different flavors in there. Anyone had any experience with the barrel version yet? Thoughts?

2. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,579) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

3. ynnpar

ynnpar Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2007 United Kingdom (England)

I'm not a great reviewer but will give it a shot when I get some more time. Flavor and smell somewhat sweeter than the regular Xyauyu, mouthfeel the same, very drinkable for the high ABV. Reminded me of a dessert wine, sort of.

4. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

Sweeter than which regular Xyauyu? There are 3, not including Fume and Terre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.