Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Latin America Balashi Brewery - Aruba

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by BrianNY, Nov 30, 2013.

1. BrianNY

Beer Trader

Hi all,

Has anyone ever gone to the Balashi Brewery in Aruba? I will be going this February and wanted to know everyones thoughts. I will be there for 4 days. Is it worth my time?

Thanks!

2. mcrago

3. bluemooncanyon

Beer Trader

I would take some good beer with you, because they do not have any craft beer in Aruba. My wife and I would take a duffle bag full of craft beer in cans.

azorie likes this.
  4. DrewSnyc667

Balashi is just a simple pale lager that is refreshing in 90 degree sun but the brewery tour won't be anything worth while. And while I love crafts I can't imagine drinking a lot of them in the daytime heat there. Although a snappy pilsner would be good.

5. windboyz

If you just want a brewery tour I've heard it's OK. The beer is not great but drinkable in a light lager kind of way. Most places we went to eat or drink didn't have any craft beers. BUT (the big but). Aruba is a former Dutch colony. We shopped in a supermarket and found many very drinkable European labels there.

BrianNY and DrewSnyc667 like this.
  6. BrianNY

Beer Trader

I have had the beer before and it is mediocre. Definitely better when you are in the heat and just need something watery! Wasn't really planning on going to the brewery for the beer itself, more for the tour experience. Sounds like nobody invested any time there thus far. To go or not to go... that is the question...

7. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

There is not much else to do in Aruba anyways, might as well go. I enjoyed Balashi more than any other beer on the island.

8. TTague

Beer Trader

You should check it out. They have nice beer garden. It's been a few years since I was there. When we went it was happy hour. A lot of the brewery workers were hanging out. Also met one of the owners. Everyone kept buying our beers too, which was an added bonus. Enjoy!

9. MVP09

Beer Trader

My wife and I honeymooned there at the Rui 5 years ago there was place called Taste of Belgium stumbing distance to hotel. They had Paavel Kwak and Chimay plus they sold to go bottles

BrianNY likes this.
  10. BrianNY

Beer Trader

thanks @MVP09 for the other recommendation. Has anyone else come across any other good beer spots to check out while in Aruba?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe