Ballantine IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Grand Pooh-Bah (3,009) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Can anyone explain why Pabst decided to discontinue Ballantine IPA?

I know that some folks do not like anything made by a macro-brewery but I really enjoyed this beer and it was readily available at a great price for the last few years. I will miss it.

Also, does anyone know if Pabst still plans to brew Ballantine Burton? This is another beer that I enjoy very much.

KentT, hititback and LarryV like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, the simplest answer is likely the truest - it just didn't sell in the quantities they expected. Part of that reason was they and their distributors didn't market the beer correctly, even though they did get lots of press (free, the kind Pabst likes) and spent a fair amount (for Pabst) on promotional events, POP items and other swag, etc.

Although Ballantine India Pale Ale took on an larger reputation during the "craft era" than it probably ever had pre-1972, most of that was among the brewers and writers, not the mostly younger craft beer drinkers. Falstaff and successor Pabst, if anything, helped ruin it by both cheapening the IPA in the 1970-90s as well as the "Ballantine" brand itself, where they turned the only beer left, Ballantine XXX Ale, into a poor product which they tended to market in the "40's - malt liquor" segment.

Pabst has even dropped both Ballantine XXX and IPA logos from their corporation PORTFOLIO webpage and killed both ales' websites. I also noticed the other day that Pabst's masterbrewer who was behind the revived Ballantine Ales and their promotion, Greg Deuhs, is no longer at the company as of Sept. '18.

Well, it was brewed at Cold Spring's new Third St. Brewhouse and used the original P. Ballantine & Sons name as a 'dba' - not so sure the average craft drinker (as opposed to the geekery who read the advance press and knew the history, etc) would have known it was a contract-brewed Pabst product.

OTOH, the original drinkers of the Newark-brewed IPA are all well-over 60 - not sure there was much attempt to reach them.

At this point, Pabst is not even a "macro-sized" brewing company, by the Brewers Association of "small = under 6M bbl" definition.

Supposedly (I've read two different stories from Pabst's people) there was still some Burton Ale in Cold Spring, aging in both bottles (2015 and 2016) and some aging in bulk tanks, on wood and hops - that was summer '17, tho'. Unlikely they'd brew more. They were going to release some of it as a "vintage-dated" product (last?) Christmas but I - in what was once Ballantine's home market - never saw it.

KentT, Bouleboubier, Roguer and 8 others like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I did enjoy the IPA and the few times I saw it on draft it was priced like a macro. I remember a case for under $30.

I still have 4-5 Burton left from the first year they brought it back. A bit sweet for me but I do have a few each year. It was a bit pricey at $44 a case. I would not revisit this one.

Enjoy

LarryV and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. Amendm

Amendm Pooh-Bah (2,305) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

XXX was my 1st taste of Ale, sneaked a sip from my granddaddies' bottle.
    Classified as a Blonde Ale...always assumed it was a Pale Ale.
    I’m going to try to find a bottle before its all gone.

LarryV likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

How long ago was that?

Cheers!

Amendm likes this.
  6. Amendm

Amendm Pooh-Bah (2,305) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

5 decades, and it was likely better back then.
    Prost.

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Uh, the Ballantine XXX Ale that MillerCoors brews for Pabst is not one of the beers being discussed (Ballantine India Pale Ale and Burton Ale) and, even though it's been missing from Pabst's Portfolio page, it's still being marketed. Should be pretty easy to find in RI - it's "second home" after Newark closed, and New England in general was a big market for the original brewery and for Falstaff's version. But, with a Pabst beer, ya never know.

Well, when P. Ballantine & Sons was around, there was no such thing as a "Blonde Ale" style in the US. The beer (post-Repeal) was modeled after the hoppy, sparkling (aka "cream" or "brilliant") ales brewed in Canada during Repeal.
    Understatement of the year... it is a disgrace to the label.

8. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Most of the people who were buying Ballantine XXX Ale when it was brewed in Newark were already in there 60's in the late 60's. It wasn't your fathers beer. It was your grandfathers beer. At least in North NJ.

Roguer, LuskusDelph, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  9. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, yeah, it literally was "my father's beer"...:wink: (but by the '60s, we'd moved out of Irvington to central Jersey).

But this was not my mother:
    [​IMG]
    And the ol' man probably didn't like this woman's music ("Turn that !@#$ down!") - Well, maybe "Me & Bobby McGee" 'cause he did like Kristofferson ---but, if offered, he would have taken one of those ales from her, I bet:
    [​IMG]

JimKal, Roguer, steveh and 7 others like this.
  10. tjwarren

tjwarren Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

So sad to hear. Glad I drove to PA to get a case last year. I really enjoyed it.

11. anfield86

anfield86 Pooh-Bah (2,594) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Probably the same reason they shit canned Old Tankard Ale: it didn't sell.

(which sucks because i loved that friggin' beer)

#11 anfield86, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Ditto to the OT. It would have been a regular in my rotation.

anfield86, LuskusDelph and TongoRad like this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

OK then. We bought Ballantine Beer at Standard Drug in Richmond for $.79 a sixer back in 69-70. It was good enough for our budget. But we also drank Lowenbrau draft at Lums, found Ringnes for $3.99 a sixer and still found time for Red Cap Ale.We cherished National Premium a few years later, but the Ballantine line-up was very strange indeed. Looking back, the ale was an outlier and a remnant.

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, the beer which was known as an old-fashioned "heavy" lager eventually got a bad rep thanks to messing around with the recipe to make it lighter (like most other AALs of the era) in the mid-60s - which only aggrevated the customers they had left and didn't re-capture any of their old market. And changing it back didn't help, so they brought it down to below-premium prices in the outer areas of their Northeast distro region - eventually even bringing out an even cheaper beer called MUNICH ("Aged in the Wood", tho', in some of their horizontal oak casks).

The XXX Ale was typically sold in the premium segment (probably still is?) and a coast to coast distro region, tho' that was shrinking by the end of the decade, with the IPA sold even higher but not nearly as much as some other US "super-premiums" like Michelob. (IPA's price started jumping under Falstaff ownership even as the dumbed down and cheapened it - lower abv & ibu's, shortened the aging period. )

15. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

The closest I ever got to a 1960's era Ballantine beer is this:

[​IMG]

My house was built in 1961 and during remodeling a Contractor found this can in the wall between two joists. Apparently one of the home builders had a beer with his lunch!?!:rolling_eyes:

An interesting aspect to this can is the top of the can:

[​IMG]

@jesskidden, did the breweries have different cans for each state or was this just a PA thing?

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72, drtth, Tucquan and 2 others like this.
  16. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Jack, was that can unopened?

17. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

No, it is opened. The home building person decided to open the 'bottom' of the can for some reason (didn't want to drink from the 'inked' side?). This is an old fashioned can in that you needed a can opener ('church key') to open the can.

Sometime later canned beers had pull tabs installed on the top. I would be willing to bet that @jesskidden knows what year that Ballantine cans would have had pull tabs.

Cheers!

Ranbot likes this.
  18. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, not every state collected their excise or other beverage tax that way, but a few others still did - "stamps" on kegs, "tax paid" crowns or can lids.

Similar to the ink stamp on the bottom of cigarette packs.
    "'

LuskusDelph and Chaz like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

How was this 'managed' at the brewery? Did they have a bunch of different cans with the proper markings and then have to make sure they were delivered to the appropriate state(s)?

Cheers!

20. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not cans, just the lids. Those 2-ended cans came in with one end attached - the brewer filled and crimped on the other end w/tax stamp (when required ).

Not sure how it was arranged. IIRC, for crowns, some brewers used the same generic cap if they sold beer in that state, others were "branded". Probably the same for most cans, except for Ballantine's copper colored cans. I guess it was up to if the brewer wanted to spend the extra printing cost.

No harder to manage than the various different labeling requirements that were once more common than they are today.

LuskusDelph and JackHorzempa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.