Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin

Discussion in 'New England' started by Rosinante, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had one of these last night and enjoyed it. Not something I'd spend a lot of energy chasing and probably won't buy it that often, but tasty stuff for sure.

2. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Initiate (102) Dec 25, 2010 Massachusetts

Liquor World in Franklin got a case. Drinking it right now...a pleasant drink. Worth the price.

3. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

Am I the only who who'd take fresh sculpin over this? Definitely worth a try but not something Id keep returning to.

woodfinish likes this.
  4. Justin42

Trader

You're not the only one. I thought it was tasty and would love to try it on draft, but prefer regular Sculpin. It was several months ago, but my recollection is that I preferred Stone's take on the grapefruit IPA to this one.

Mag00n likes this.
  5. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

Any sightings in CT? I did find the sculpin cans last week at the Wine Thief, and they were super fresh and delicious. I'd like to give this one a try..

6. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

I liked it on draft better. It won't replace regular fresh Sculpins in my household, but its a nice thing to try out.

7. dubdrop

dubdrop Zealot (581) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

IMO, this is a novelty beer. Nice to try and enjoyable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it again.

Mag00n likes this.
  8. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (265) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

This was very good IMO. Bottled on 12/30 and tasted better than when I had it on draft. People are just going a bit crazy because it hasn't been around here in bottle format (if ever?). I could add this one to my regular rotation if available on a somewhat regular basis.

9. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (170) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I would definitely drink this over regular Sculpin if not for the price tag and it was easier to obtain.

10. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (643) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

One of the ladies that runs a local bottle shop here in mass told me that grapefruit sculpin might be popping up more frequently now. Their larger warehouse is allowing them to expand their distribution.

Im just waiting for habanero sculpin now !

-xICooRsYIx

11. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (378) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

bought 2 bottles, was cool to try but in the end the Grapefruit was too much for me, would prefer the regular

Rosinante likes this.
  12. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (468) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

It was sad the amount of gouging that went on with this, should be the same price as regular sculpin. Also agree with everyone else that it was unimpressive, if you missed out pick up some shofferhoffer or stiegl radler, they're both practically same as grapefruit sculpin. Such a one trick pony of a beer

13. smanson56

smanson56 Savant (995) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Got to agree that the Grapefruit Sculpin is much better than the regular Sculpin IMO.

Rosinante and jstout26 like this.
  14. rjp217

rjp217 Poo-Bah (1,526) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I guess I'm in the minority.... I loved it and I would drink it over regular Sculpin. Maybe my palate is just liking something different and the market is just too saturated with good IPAs.

Rosinante and jstout26 like this.
  15. KevTurnersBootburn

KevTurnersBootburn Initiate (71) Jan 19, 2014 Massachusetts

This was the same price as sculpin at my local store and they had a bunch. I thought it was good but nothing mind blowing. Seems like it would be a good summer beach beer if they canned it. Didn't think it tasted at all like that Stiegl, it just tasted like Sculpin with some grapefruit to me.

Boomblaze and yarnbomb like this.
  16. Justin42

Trader

Same price as regular at my local store too (UGSE). Was a little disappointed that this is in bottles and not cans :slight_smile:

17. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

They had a couple cases in streetcar yesterday. it was $15 for a sixer. I couldn't pull the trigger because I wasn't sure the grapefruit would agree with me. I grabbed a sixer of dorado instead, which I had never tried. Gotta say I'm a fan of dorado, and the $15 price tag is a little easier to swallow on a 10 % abv dipa.

mixed feelings on skipping the grapefruit, but according to earlier posts, grapefruit might be around more in the future

18. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Devotee (468) Sep 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Should be one more round of the grapefruit going around

19. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Aspirant (242) Aug 20, 2010 Florida

I am loving this beer. I know it might be more a novelty, but I love the grapefruit taste to begin with. Its hard to find fresh sculpin around here, the grapefruit just gives the beer a brighter, juicer taste.

Rosinante likes this.
  20. tylerk88

tylerk88 Aspirant (261) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Still some singles at Pemberton on Mass Ave. Limit 2per $3.25 each.

21. jamis

jamis Initiate (157) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I still have a 6-er available if anyone is looking for it in central MA. $4$ (I paid 12+dep). Also have some Cape Ann Deadeye.. :slight_smile:

22. GiantCogs

GiantCogs Initiate (102) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

I've seen it on tap around Boston. Tried one this weekend. Not bad. I forget how it compares to that Stone one.

Rosinante likes this.
  23. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Aspirant (203) Oct 28, 2011 Massachusetts

Fifth Ave in Millis had a ton of it over the weekend. No Limit..

24. jujigatame

jujigatame Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Had a bottle today from the Dec. 30th batch. I like IPAs with strong grapefruit flavors but this beer ended up at the point where it didn't leave much room for anything else. It was not unpleasant to drink, it did not get too sweet or too bitter, but there wasn't anything beyond the grapefruit. The layers and balance of the great base beer were overtaken which is too bad. All the anticipation comes from how much you love Sculpin and rather than being an enhanced version of it I think the added flavor makes a different beer altogether. In some cases that's okay, or even an improvement on the base beer. Here it came out to less than the original. Between this and regular Sculpin I'd take regular. If grapefruit gets you out of bed in the morning though then this is definitely your IPA.

Rosinante likes this.
  25. chewy527

chewy527 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Connecticut

This is exactly how I felt while/after drinking one. I couldn't exactly describe it, but you nailed it.

26. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (93) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

nope, just weird

27. AirBob

AirBob Defender (661) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts

Still some in the back case at Vinnin in Swampscott.

28. Rosinante

Rosinante Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Massachusetts

Just had a chance to this out. Like it just fine, a little more than regular Sculpin.

29. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Theres a few fresh cases at Coopers in Florence. 1.8.15 bottled date.

30. bfitzge2

bfitzge2 Aspirant (276) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is EVERYWHERE on draft all of the sudden, Plan B in Spfld, McGladdens & Dirty Truth in NoHo. It's always better to try Ballast Point beers on draft to avoid paying 45$ for a sixer.

31. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (261) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Anyone know if this is gonna make its way to ct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.