Ballast Point Mango Even Keel

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CJNAPS, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

The mango sounds great!!

CJNAPS, chrismann65 and NealioATX like this.
  2. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

It's not about being "snobby". It's about caring about keeping craft beer "craft" and not helping big beer fulfill their goal of stamping out what I love which will ultimately lead to fewer choices and inferior quality. In saying that, I'm not a big fan of pouring juice, artificial or not, into my beer. I can do that at home. Cheers!

3. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (366) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It's to the point where I would believe BAers are making up fake labels.

4. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (902) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Wheat - Wit - Weiss.....

lambpasty and NealioATX like this.
  5. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I honestly have Ballast Point at the same level as Shock Top

beertrip, rather and stickboy1125 like this.
  6. Manilovebeer17

Manilovebeer17 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

Hope to see this on shelves soon in Florida

7. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (426) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Maybe I'm not a "purist" but I don't have an issue with this. If they're trying to target a broader audience, cool. If they're just experimenting, cool. If the acquisition somehow does send them down the shitter and they start to suck, cool. I guess now I only have 8,999 IPAs to choose from instead of 9,000.

If you think it's ridiculous, cool. Don't buy it.

8. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

I dont get this fruited craze going on. gratefruit everywhere now this

Bearshawks85 likes this.
  9. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Ironically, this is a pretty darn good beer.

NealioATX likes this.
  10. emount91

emount91 Devotee (426) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

the labels posted in this thread get worse and worse with every post. I didnt think it could get any worse than Orange Vanilla Fathom.... then i see the Thai Chili Wahoo post. whyyyyy

SteveSexton203 likes this.
  11. Johnct

Johnct Devotee (454) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

That sucks for you

12. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

does it have a strong ginger flavor?

13. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

You can quote me on this later, but I think from here to 5 years that is gonna be the overall perception for them.

14. breadwinner

Trader

Not to my palate. When you think about it, a traditional witbier is brewed with coriander (the seed form of cilantro), orange peel, and sometimes other spices (ranging from chamomile to black pepper to cumin and so on). So, BP using lime (instead of orange), and chili pepers and ginger (instead of the other spices) isn't all that radical. In any case, I thought the flavors all worked really well together, not too spicy at all, just enough to give you that nice warming sensation and tingle on the lips, and definitely subtle on the ginger.

Again, though, in my experience, BP tends to know how to do adjuncts well. It may not be an approach that some folks like, which I get, but, if you're gonna do it, they tend to do it right.

15. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I'm guessing this will unfortunately make it harder to find fresh versions of the base beers as these trendy flavored versions will likely sell a lot faster. Not that I buy BP beers often, priced a bit on the high side...except for the $6.99 Big Eye at my local shop.

Hoping my favorite breweries don't follow this path.

16. NealioATX

NealioATX Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2015 Texas

NOPE

17. NealioATX

I'd drink this one though!

18. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

These are a product of the injection of cash, sure. But they aren't new ideas. BP has had them in their taproom for a while (I know I've seen the Thai Chili Wahoo on their website for a while, for example), but now they have the money to mass produce them and distribute. Count me in.

19. breadwinner

Trader

Well said. These variants have been cycling through BP as R&D beers for years. Just seems to me that they now have the resources to put out the ones they think really work.

foundersfan1 and chrismann65 like this.
  20. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

Watermelon Dorado?!?!? how did i miss that one! sign me up

chrismann65 and NealioATX like this.
  21. SovietBillCosby

SovietBillCosby Initiate (69) Dec 6, 2013 New Jersey

I know this has been discussed before but...
    When does beer cross the line for some of you guys?
    None of these ingredients sound very outrageous and it's not likely that you'll turn your nose up to a stout with chocolate, cinnamon, coffee, etc added. Or even the classic styles like fruited lambics.
    Is it because these were all announced at once? Or because they're owned by Corona now?

illeagle05 likes this.
  22. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

I'm hoping it gives Dorado maybe a light sweetness and less bitter back end

NealioATX likes this.
  23. rather

rather Aspirant (202) May 31, 2013 California

it is I've had it on tap. but wtf orange vanilla fathom sounds made up

24. SenorHops

If people don't like the taste of beer, why not buy a six pack of something like Stone IPA, add a few teaspoons of apple juice and bingo, you have Stone Apple IPA. It's really that easy. You really don't have to wait until all this stuff comes out.

ElijahSF and eldoctorador like this.
  25. SovietBillCosby

SovietBillCosby Initiate (69) Dec 6, 2013 New Jersey

So enjoying a beer with adjuncts means you don't enjoy the taste of beer?
    I can't tell if you're just trolling or have some sort of agenda against the big bad beer guys.

26. breadwinner

Trader

Ha, I must admit, even as someone who has otherwise enjoyed a ton of BP adjunct-heavy beer, that orange vanilla Fathom sounds a bridge too far for me:slight_smile:

27. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Aspirant (259) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

28. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

if i'm a beer snob then so be it. these are no different than mikes hard lemonade, only difference being is the type of people that are going to drink these beers would make fun of mikes hard lemonade drinkers because it's not "real beer".

surely none of you would dream of going to cigar afficionado to discuss flavored swishers, wish the beer scene had a little more decency.

now flame my unpopular opinion while i go make lunch.

raf_beer and eldoctorador like this.
  29. BigMike

BigMike Meyvn (1,226) May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

It all sounds awesome to me. Can't knock em til I've tried em. Cheers!

foundersfan1 likes this.
  30. zid

zid Meyvn (1,216) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Sorry to be pedantic, but adding things to beer can't make beer more beery. I'm not making a value judgement, just a logical one.

People can't criticize a beer before they've had it, but they can criticize the concept. At the same time, if someone is a fan of Victory At Sea, they'd have a tough time successfully criticizing these concepts.

Not that long ago, I felt like buying some Calico (their take on an English pale ale), and it was nearly impossible to find some. Grapefruit Sculpin on the other hand...

Making a classic style is half the battle at best. You need a marketplace with enough demand to sustain that beer in stores.

Ballast Point is building on a market and satisfying the market also (or at least they expect to). It takes two to tango. If people didn't buy beers like this, then they wouldn't make them.

31. breadwinner

Trader

FWIW, all the Sculpin variants are based on a normal (and very well made) IPA. And, to my palate, BP's kolsch-inspired Pale Ale, Longfin helles lager, and Wahoo witbier are all pretty reasonable stabs at their respective styles. Just sayin', it's not like BP hasn't paid any due to the base beers.

jakecattleco and foundersfan1 like this.
  32. zid

zid Meyvn (1,216) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Around here, it's very very difficult to find any of those beers now.

33. NealioATX

Hasn't hit TX yet. Ginger Big Eye is going to be first. I had their people come in my store this week and they both said it's fantastic. Said the ginger really complimented the beer. I've only had one beer with ginger brewed in it and it was a poor attempt to make something taste like an IPA w/o being one.

34. breadwinner

Trader

That sucks, man. I can find them pretty easily, but I'm also out west, where BP is pretty ubiquitous. I'm especially fond of the kolsch-style Pale Ale -- next time you find some fresh, give it a go (I'm sure you have already -- just a reminder of its tastiness:slight_smile:)

zid likes this.
  35. Alexincj7

Alexincj7 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2014 Michigan

I didn't know Ballast Pointe was bought out by ? leinenkugel "Sarcasm"

Reason for this is simple look at leinenkugel sales they sell more Summer Shandy in its 6month release than all their other beers combined.

I love me some Sculpin..

36. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (927) May 14, 2013 Texas

It's not surprising that all these variations are happening, given the products that Constellation has in their portfolio. They make quite a few specialty beverages, such as Arbor Mist, beverages that have added flavors. For those of you into wine as well, they also make Mega Purple. Dear god, please don't let them make a Mega Purple Sculpin...

chrismann65 likes this.
  37. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Aspirant (202) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

Ballast Point has been making these (or beers very similar, flagships with added fruits and spices) for years.
    The only difference now is that they're being bottled/canned and widely distributed.

38. SenorHops

A little of both. :wink:

39. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,393) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I am actually excited to see ginger big eye and mango even keel

I loved Porkslap so an ipa with ginger is right up my alley.

NealioATX and foundersfan1 like this.
  40. ssam

ssam Aspirant (292) Dec 2, 2008 California

I'm not a big fan of the normal Even Keel but the mango variety sounds very good. It's just too overpriced and low alcohol so I doubt I'll try it unless I see it on tap somewhere.

NealioATX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.