Ballast Point Mango Even Keel

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CJNAPS, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnct

Johnct Devotee (454) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Well no, Mike's hard lemonade isn't beer. It literally is not beer. This is beer. Albeit flavored beer.

Immortale25 likes this.
  2. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

I can't help but think this is sort of like the wine coolers of the beer world.

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,609) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

What about Not Your Father's Root Beer?

4. Johnct

Trader

Yes you're right that's a beer.

Not sure what your point is.

foundersfan1 and NealioATX like this.
  5. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

That NYFRB has not been proven to actually be beer

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-fastest-growing-craft-beer-isnt-beer-at-all-2015-12-03
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-not-your-fathers-root-beer-food-1007-20151009-story.html

There's also a podcast called Strange Brew that did a focus on this topic and mentioned that the ABA is going to do an investigation to see if the beverage falls under their definition of craft beer. Something tells me, it won't.

6. Johnct

Trader

Okay.

What the fuck is your point still? How does this have anything to do with the previous conversations? What in the world is going on?

7. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

You said Mike's Hard is literally not beer, but that NYFRB is beer. I, and many others, contend that NYFRB is not beer and it will more than likely be proven as such by the ABA in the next few weeks.

VDubDJ likes this.
  8. Quincystandback

Quincystandback Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois

Oh no, not options! Why would we want that?

9. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

the point is, mike's is cheaper if you can't palate the taste of beer.

10. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I wouldn't worry about it.

11. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (498) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Ballast was brewing these variants for a few years prior to being sold. Some Gose-level complaints here.

12. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Had this at the brewery. It's pretty great.

It's "witbier." He's just pointing out that "wit beer" is incorrect.

13. syppr

syppr Initiate (38) May 19, 2011 Florida

I understand now. Trying to be something I'm not. I'm stupid. Thanks.

14. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,205) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Maybe they're overdoing it a little bit but most of these releases sound intriguing. I definitely wanna try the watermelon Dorado.

15. SINKTIPS_N_SUDS

SINKTIPS_N_SUDS Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 Ohio

I'm still waiting for pepperoni dog fart flavored calm before the storm.

ebin6, Fat_Maul, NealioATX and 4 others like this.
  16. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (145) Jan 8, 2015 California

I believe it's the first time I've read the phrase 'existential threat' on a beer site. lol

ichorNet likes this.
  17. Gtwreck45

Gtwreck45 Disciple (341) Jul 5, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

All you peeps that don't like added flavor to your beers: you can go ahead and send me your bourbon, vanilla, and coffee flavored stouts. Thanks.

18. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (106) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Look forward to all, except chili variety beers.

I'd bet you a dollar that if Ballast Point was releasing gimmicky varieties of Double IPA this and Triple IPA that.........their legend would continue to grow. I think some are growing tired of the IPA craze and looking forward to other things. What's the harm?

19. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (364) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Neither did mine.

20. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (199) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Just bottle new beer and stop recycling base beers into Skittles already!

Brolo75 likes this.
  21. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

Slightly off topic but I had an old (couldn't read date but at least 4 months old) Grapefruit Sculpin and all I could taste was the grapefruit flavoring, no hop flavor at all, if you told me it was Mikes Hard Grapefruit I would have believed it. Sweet and gross, 2 sips and down the drain.

Not quite as extreme but to me adding all these artificial tasting flavors to, in some cases, a top notch craft brew is a bit like mixing your Pappy with cola.

pjeagles likes this.
  22. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I mean, in the last year they offered a new standard American Pale Ale in Grunion, a new standard American Stout in Commodore, and a new IPL in Fathom in bottles, so it's not like they haven't been doing as you asked. Maybe BP is just a victim of its own prolificness?

BikeChef likes this.
  23. AbsolutLV

AbsolutLV Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Nevada

the thai chili wahoo wheat has been around for years. so were habanero and grapefruit sculpin before bottled

24. VDubDJ

VDubDJ Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2011 Arizona

Not to mention Grunion is stupid-delicious

25. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Sculpin and shock top same level :astonished:

#105 CJNAPS, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    NealioATX likes this.
  26. ianous

ianous Initiate (79) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

Wow, this summarizes my opinion exactly. But the prices here in CT aren't so awful.

27. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (106) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Finally saw it today in Seattle. $9.99. Totally forgot it was like 3.8% ABV. Yikes!

Will likely grab some in two days when Pineapple & Watermelon arrives.

CJNAPS likes this.
  28. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (72) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

pineapple sculpin: 17.99/6pack, no flavor, no semblance of an IPA, best thing i can say is i didn't drain pour it
    mango even keel: 16.99/6pack, smells grear, tastes absolutely horrible and is under 4% abv

PSA to anyone in the philly area, do not buy these. should have known that new, hyped, gimmicky, BP made beers with ratings below 90 this soon after being released would be terrible excuses for beer

ESHBG likes this.
  29. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

For me the 3.8% ABV isn't a bug but a feature. The price will ensure that I don't buy it often, but I'll certainly go for this Mango Even Keel again sometime. Nice stuff.

And people who feel the mango infusion makes it "not really beer," how would you feel if instead the beer had been aged in mango barrels?

bret717 and breadwinner like this.
  30. CGuil220

CGuil220 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 New Hampshire

I was at a craft beer store in Portland, Maine the other day and saw several cases of it. So I am assuming you should see it everywhere now.

CJNAPS likes this.
  31. Mischief

Mischief Initiate (47) Oct 19, 2015 Texas

I'm pretty new around here and to craft beer, after decades being a bourbon guy. It was grapefruit IPA that first caught my attention. That weekend I tried a local berliner weisse and I have been exploring new beers like a boss. I have preferences certainly now but I explore everything and I go back to these experimental IPAs (and stouts and wilds and whatever) because trying something new is part of the fun and these combos can be very tasty and sessionable. My wife has joined this journey with me and these kinds of beers grab her attention, not that a good stout won't do the same.

I can understand why some see this as bastardizing something they hold dear or simply as selling out. I see BPs attemp as an opportunity for BMC drinkers to try something that may lead them deeper into the craft beer world but frankly, I don't care as these tend to be pretty damn tasty.

I will admit the Habanero Scuplin on tap almost killed me but it was so damn good I couldn't stop.

32. JratBones

JratBones Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Massachusetts

I can't get into the Even Keel. $13.99 for a 3.8% 6pk. Not happening. I would try it on draft but won't go looking for it.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, NealioATX and ssam like this.
  33. CJNAPS

Right on buddy, I was able to pick up a sixer last week.

34. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (426) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Picked up a six last week and have gone through most of it. Bigger mango on the nose than on the tongue IMO but it's not overly sweet and overall I think it turned out well. It's probably not going to be an often-repeated purchase for me because I just don't really like session IPAs in general, but as far as the style goes this one was interesting enough that I wouldn't turn it down.

35. CGuil220

CGuil220 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 New Hampshire

My bad, I didn't see how old the post was

CJNAPS likes this.
  36. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Meyvn (1,079) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Bought a six of mango even keel yesterday, it's a solid beer. Mango comes through clean and nice but it does sweeten it up a little. But it's refreshing and goes down easy.

37. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Some folks (like me) buy it specifically due to the lower alcohol. Nice hop bite, very low ETOH--for the right time.

Not sure why so many folks seem to find that unappealing. In the scheme of things, an extra 0.50$/can while having brews on a fishing trip means nothing.

Mischief likes this.
  38. CJNAPS

No worries brotha, I grabbed some of the Pineapple sculpin as well....not a lot of pineapple coming though on that one.

39. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,609) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Multiple brewer's have also posted on Beeradvocate clearly explaining alcohol percentage is one of the least influential factors on price.

Moreover, let's say a standard beer is 5% abv. Even Keel is 1.2% less than that. How come no one complains about the difference between say Ballast Point's Grunion Pale Ale at 5.5% abv and Sculpin at 7% abv?

You pay for a quality product in a niche market, not for alcohol percentage in beers. If you want more bang for your buck, buy Jack Daniels.

40. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,056) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Anyone remember when St Ides released their "Special Brews"...... I mean malt liquor wine coolers?

NealioATX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.