Ballast Point Mango Even Keel

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CJNAPS, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,858) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

The pattern is adjunct awesomeness! Peppermint VoS was slightly dissapointing, but pineapple sculpin and mango even keel...I am looking forward to trying them!!!

2. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Mango even keel was really good, Pineapple Sculpin I felt didn't have any Pineapple coming though just my opinion.

NealioATX likes this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Love EK and mango so I will try MEK. A case is $40 so a sixer will be $12? If I see a single better yet.

Enjoy

4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,216) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

No flavor?

5. Florida_Hop_Head

Florida_Hop_Head Initiate (178) Feb 1, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Still waiting patiently to try the Pineapple Sculpin. So far no sign of it on South Florida shelves, hopefully it won't be too aged by the time it arrives here.

6. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,609) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I tried Mango Even Keel with an open mind (I like regular Even Keel, the 3.8% abv is more than welcome for session drinking).

Honestly, my friend mentioned this and I have to agree. It tasted like Fruity Pebbles in an IPA. I didn't like this one. And the worse part is my store removed all of the regular Even Keel and replaced it with the Mango installment.

NealioATX likes this.
  7. ssam

ssam Aspirant (292) Dec 2, 2008 California

My problem with Even Keel is that its expensive. It's expensive for most beers with not that many ingredients and no barrels. Then, it has just enough alcohol in it to be unhealthy but not enough to be fun. It gets you about as drunk as water with the same health benefits of coke. I don't drink coke. It's hard for me to rationalize drinking Even Keel. Its expensive unhealthy water.

pjeagles likes this.
  8. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (72) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

i meant more "no flavor of an IPA that used ___ in it, which is what they were/should be going for" like grapefruit sculpin does. there is flavor but it's not anything i would want beer to taste like let alone pay that much for.

9. irok972

irok972 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2015

Wait how does Philly have California beer before Dallas...

10. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (158) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Just had a watermelon Dorado and holy fuck that was gross. I have nothing against the crazy fruit experiments they're doing (hab sculp is literally one of my all time favorite beers), but that one was just awful. Still, looking forward to trying some of the others, mainly the thai chili wahoo and that orange creamsicle thing

hshand17 likes this.
  11. Fat_Maul

Fat_Maul Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

We have very competitive distributors and we drink a lot of craft beer. We're the only market that gets Russian River and Cigar City. We're very lucky. Check it out - http://seekabrew.com/distro/index.html If you click on PA you see the massive list of who distributes here.

dagimp, cale_dooper and eagles7251 like this.
  12. phillyale

phillyale Initiate (44) Jan 7, 2015 Pennsylvania

I could only make it half way through my can of Mango Even Keel, had to dump the rest. The fake fruit flavor is even more prominent in the Even Keel than it is in the Pineapple and Grapefruit Sculpins, most likely because of its session strength. Glad I only bought a single of this, not a fan of BP's artificial fruit flavorings.

cale_dooper likes this.
  13. cale_dooper

cale_dooper Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

drain pour after one spit. fakest mango flavor i've ever had, SOOO bad, thank god i only got a single.

14. lalancette7

lalancette7 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Vermont

Mango even keel was the most vile liquid I've ever consumed. It was a combination of artificially sweet mago, metal, and old dishwater. At $11 for a 6 pack this was a joke and the absolute last time I ever spend money on a ballast point product. They make shit beer and then throw artificial flavorings in it and sell it at absurd prices. I can't believe that anyone at the brewery could have tasted this and thought it was drinkable.

15. NealioATX

NealioATX Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2015 Texas

Thank you. This just made me LOL when I needed it.

16. NealioATX

TABC more than likely.

17. Mike1958

Mike1958 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2016 Michigan

Victory at sea and Victory at sea with Peppermint were both top notch.

18. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Wish I could've had access to peppermint

19. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Initiate (140) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky

I initially thought the Mango Even Keel was pretty bad, though not drainworthy. However, it has grown on me. By far not the best offering from the brewery, but it'll fill a niche that I've yet to find a match for (my mango beer newbieness shines bright here).

20. lic217

lic217 Champion (884) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Change Jack Daniels to Popov and I agree with everything you just said...

21. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Disciple (354) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

How much do I love living in a capitalist society...

If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. I promise you, Ballast Point will be very responsive to that input.

Personally, I must admit I strongly prefer flavor coming from the traditional four beer ingredients. I also greatly appreciate beers firmly reflecting an established style.

Sam Caligone, Stone Stochasticity Project Grapefruit IPA, and then, in a huge way, Grapefruit Sculpin, however, brought me around...

22. Fat_Maul

Fat_Maul Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Mango Even Keel brought me back to my childhood when I had strep throat and had to take liquid penicillin. Just to be clear, that didn't taste good either.

NealioATX and lhommedelamaison like this.
  23. Keffa

Keffa Defender (605) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I strongly disagree with this.

The ONLY IPA that I can get my wife to drink.

24. exquisitebeerlover

exquisitebeerlover Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2015 New York

Wow, that doesn't sound too good.

25. BigMike

BigMike Meyvn (1,226) May 8, 2008 Pennsylvania

Not a fan of it. My GF loves it though.

26. NealioATX

I got plenty in Austin!

27. NealioATX

VAS Peppermint was just OK to me. It wasn't bad but I wished it had more peppermint to it than just the slight finish.

28. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Reviewed it yesterday (3.88). Had the flavor lived up to the nose, it would have been quite outstanding. For a session (3.8% ABV) IPA, it delivered rather well I feel.

NealioATX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.