Release Ballast Point Red Velvet nitro bottles

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Brent212, Jan 11, 2017.

1. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (179) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I am hoping my local spot will sell me 2 singles to try so I dont have to waste $15 on a whole six pack.

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Champion (832) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

@Whey2Hoppy

As I said you'll know

[​IMG]
    Not for sale yet FYI, it usually takes a few days to go on sale, hopefully not a week like some do. I can not and will not save or hold onto them so I don't catch shit from the boss but southern ocean County has it.

Whey2Hoppy likes this.
  3. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Aspirant (274) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey

Thanks a ton for remembering. I would never expect you to hold it or anything, you've done more than enough!

Urk1127 likes this.
  4. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,177) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I tried one, the flavor was ok, the color was cool, but I don't care for the nitro, I get a watered down feel

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  5. darklord2011

darklord2011 Aspirant (215) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Very disappointing. Was expecting a full mouth feel with a silky smooth chocolate and oat finish but instead got a thin mouth feel almost flat with a descent oat finish, that's about it. No beet flavor, just deep red color.

Hopznbuds and Hoppedelic like this.
  6. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (201) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

My initial reaction to this beer was that it probably isn't very good, seemed gimmicky, and I wasn't interested in buying any. I got to try a sample from a friend last night, and now my assessment is that it's surprisingly good, it's gimmicky, and I'm still not interested in buying any. They pulled off the beer-that-tastes-like-cake thing better than I would have thought possible, but beer that tastes like cake is still a try it once, go "oh wow, that's interesting", never think about it again thing for me.

7. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Aspirant (251) May 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Why buy this? all their beers are sucking more and more. I do not support ballast point after the buy out. Quality has taken a nose dive

8. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Aspirant (251) May 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

it wont

9. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (92) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah out of the new beers I've tried from them over the last year or so they're 1 out of 7. Their new DIPA Manta Ray is good and that's it. So sad.

10. eagles7251

Beer Trader

Looking forward to trying this tonight while watching Dr. Strange. Dont have high hopes but 2 singles only ran me $5.50 so no big deal if its a drain pour. I am a sucker for Nitro stouts and porters. I still think Grapefruit Sculpin is a classic. Love that beer.

11. PComninaki

PComninaki Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

One of the grossest beers i've ever tasted

dirtyfonzie, eagles7251 and tryptich like this.
  12. BJB13

BJB13 Initiate (182) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland

The label on that one almost sucked me in. I picked it up, read what it was all about and put it right back on the shelf.
    Nice art though.

13. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (312) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Other than sculpin (&variants) on draft, I've never had a Ballast Point beer impress at all, and in this day and age Sculpin is no better than dozens of other beers in that style, that are often cheaper. Although I'm under 30, I do understand there is a sentimental attachment to this brand, especially people in CA or who lived in CA at one time.

As for RVN, I do want to tick it but I have pretty low expectations. BP price point makes it much harder to find in "Make Your own 6 Pack" places that don't individually price the singles.

14. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Aspirant (249) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I still find 'Victory At Sea' to be delicious. It's pretty much the only beer of theirs that I buy, though.

waltari likes this.
  15. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,079) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Oh wow this beer is awful. Why did I buy a 6 pack? I don't even think a drunken hobo would take my other 5 bottles as a donation. I'm afraid if I pour them down the sink my entire house will explode.

Brent212 and tryptich like this.
  16. eagles7251

Beer Trader

Truly awful beer. I am sucker for nitro stouts and porters too.

17. neocharles

neocharles Aspirant (215) Nov 28, 2016 North Carolina
    Subscriber

I was a few drinks in by the time I opened my bottle - but I don't recall it being too bad. I did feel like it was definitely not the same mouth feel as a nitro on tap (but, I assume that's expected since it's bottled). I have a few bottles left still, so I need to give it another shot - wondering if the temperature of the bottle will impact the overall experience as well.... since technically it is a stout

18. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (459) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I tried this and Peppermint Victory at Sea in the last week. The Nitro Red Velvet "stout" was absolutely horrible. I struggled to make it through the bottle. The Peppermint VaS on the other hand was fantastic!

19. CSpoons

CSpoons Aspirant (208) Nov 13, 2012 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Was not impressed by this beer. Glad I only bought 1, but props to them for experimenting.

StoutElk_92 and Hayden34 like this.
  20. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (153) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois

Traditionally, red velvet cake does get it's coloring from beets. Taste-wise, it's supposed to be more at the cocoa end of the chocolate spectrum.

I tried this, because I do love red velvet cake, but for me it would have been better with a thicker mouthfeel. While the subtle chocolate flavor is probably true to the spirit of red velvet, upping it may have helped balance out the earthy/beet-y taste more. Adding some coffee notes would have put it over the top, for me.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  21. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (265) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I wasnt expecting this to have a watery mouthfeel and be so thin. Was kind of a letdown IMO. Not worth the 15.99.

22. Urk1127

Beer Trader

The beets were used for coloring only, to those who say they can't taste them.

And I found the nitro to be as thin as guinness which is not a problem for me. But definitely not the same feel as left hand nitro milk stout.

23. Becvar

Becvar Initiate (123) Jan 19, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I bought one 12oz of this to try, and Im on board with most of you, this beer was terrible. Super bland, couldnt really tell what the heck was going on in it.

24. THSdrummer

THSdrummer Meyvn (1,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I finally found a place selling an individual bottle of this. I picked it up last night. Looking forward to trying it without sinking $15 into a six pack.

25. tillmac62

tillmac62 Meyvn (1,379) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just reviewed it (2.96). Glad I bought a single. It poured with ZERO head and the body reflected same.

Barracudas likes this.
  26. xxbassplayerxx

xxbassplayerxx Initiate (164) Mar 16, 2016 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Did you turn it totally upside down? It's a nitro beer so very little head without a "vigorous" head is to be expected. Also wouldn't expect any carbonation since it isn't carbonated.

27. Urk1127

Beer Trader

I've had multiple and I enjoyed it. To those saying it's bland, have you not ever had nitro before? The nitrogen mellows flavors drastically. It's nothing new. Nitro being thin is a possibility. Guinness and Kilkenny are thin. So is Left Hand Hard Wired. I for one enjoyed it.

28. dirtyfonzie

dirtyfonzie Initiate (35) Nov 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

29. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (265) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I think by now I have realized that I dont like nitro. This beer confirmed it for me.

Urk1127 likes this.
  30. Mineo

Mineo Aspirant (299) Jul 7, 2010 New Jersey

This beer literally tastes like a flat adjunct lager.

31. basaywhat

basaywhat Champion (815) May 20, 2013 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This beer ranks right up there with Watermelon Dorado as the nastiest beer I've ever tasted. Absolutely horrible!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe