Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Ballast Point this Summer

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by herman77, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

i did not see them on Sculpin labels but they were on the other sixers bottom left .Cases of Sculpin were dated on the box however @ 082313

2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I think he's getting at the demand for Sculpin, but I think price of production factors in heavily. Demand for both could be the same and Sculpin would still be more expensive.

3. evilgenius1917

evilgenius1917 Feb 16, 2009 Minnesota

I had a pint of Sculpin at Grumpy's NE today. From what I remember of ECON101 I would expect the price to drop soon as the opportunity cost from competition is much more favorable for my discretionary income.

maximum12 and opwog like this.
  4. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Not to thread jack, but someone please explain the Saga love. Great price point for a slightly above average IPA. So many better options in a similar price range. I'd argue if it wasn't Summit there'd be no love for it. Let the attack begin...

Revenant, Mnmaverick and sacrelicio like this.
  5. sacrelicio

Yup, it's solid, but so what. Sculpin is worth the money. And if you don't think so, don't buy it. Plenty of other people will.

Revenant, derekpk and pmccallum86 like this.
  6. EMLsd

EMLsd Sep 1, 2013 California

I suppose there's no accounting for taste, but I much prefer Sculpin over Big Eye and I think that's the general sentiment here in SD. Maybe my palate is wrecked from drinking so many West Coast IPAs but Big Eye tastes almost like a Pale Ale. Both are quality beers and Ballast Point is probably my favorite local brewery because they do so many styles well. Love me some Victory at Sea . . . .

Revenant and pmccallum86 like this.
  7. incutrav

incutrav Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Pff- everyone knows the general principals of economics do not apply to beer.

8. Buzzerben

Buzzerben Jul 21, 2007 Minnesota

I get it. You love Saga. In fact, in the last 18 months, you have posted this same sentiment, or something awfully close, 29 times. Really: http://beeradvocate.com/community/search/28564826/?q=Saga&o=date&c[user][0]=117371

Now back to Sculpin. Extra. Tasty. Crispy.

9. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Mar 26, 2011 Minnesota

FTFY

10. morimech

morimech Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Find me another $1 a bottle IPA that tastes as good. All Summit has to do now is put it in cans.

mjryan likes this.
  11. dave43

dave43 Jan 29, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

10.99 a sixer of sculpin is a steal....where?

DBijnagte likes this.
  12. bigdaddypolite

bigdaddypolite Mar 2, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was (apparently unsuccessfully) making a joke based on the premise that there are only two fundamental principles behind basic economic theory, and yet I could only remember one of them, and not the other one which he was hinting at. Perhaps a winking smiley face was in order.

Guess I'll leave the stand-up to Margaret Cho. ;)

13. sacrelicio

yeah, I hear ya, but I think the production cost factors in quite a bit.

14. sacrelicio

Drinking Sculpin right now. Hot damn, this is a nice IPA. Easily one of the best (if not the best) that is available all year.

denali55421 likes this.
  15. runfoodrun

Ok, maybe, but ill send the extra couple bucks on Torpedo, Inversion, Two Hearted, Odell's, or even Furious, Ethos, Overrated and others to get an IPA worthy of purchase based on flavor not price. If I want cheap beer I'll assume an IPA is not an option.

ballenc likes this.
  16. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Bought a 12 pack of Sagá, 6 of Big Eye and 6 of Sculpin last week. Made the old lady pour me 3 tasters to do a blind comparison. I could not decide on a winner even though I guessed all 3 correctly. Sculpin probably had the best nose, Big Eye was very bitter and tasted distinctly of Centennial hops, Sagá, dry and dank, a true West Coast IPA with some funky ass hops. I liked the combo so much, even though I still have 6 Sagá and 3 each of the BP IPAs, I bought the same combo today...and a 6 of SN Flipside, which tastes fine, as in it tastes like every other SN hoppy beer. Very generic and no where close to the others mentioned as far as my preference is concerned. All said, for anywhere from 10.99-12.99 a twelve pack, Sagá destroys the competition. A world class IPA that is unbelievably affordable.

ZAP and nickapalooza86 like this.
  17. Ish1

Ish1 Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Riddle me this. Sculpin per oz. costs less than size 7. Crazy.

derekpk and pmccallum86 like this.
  18. HoistinBrews

Are you going by the growler price?
    I'd take fresh Size 7 over Sculpin personally (although the 6er of Sculpin I bought in IL was 2 mos old).

19. Steasy66

Steasy66 Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You can argue brewery A's IPA price point vs brewery B's IPA price point all day long and get nowhere. What I am asking is why Ballast Point's 7% 70 IBU IPA costs nearly twice what Ballast Point's 7% 75 IBU IPA costs? If we want to get down to brass tacks, Masala Mama kicks the shit out of both, taste, per oz, unicorn farts, whatever.

brydeen likes this.
  20. HoistinBrews

Touche;)

21. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

That's not fair, Masala Mamma kicks the shit outta everything, regardless of price.

22. incutrav

incutrav Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

mjryan, deadbody, Ish1 and 3 others like this.
  23. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Um, because demand is much higher. Seriously, how is this complicated?

BTW I feel compelled to point out that 50% higher is not "nearly twice." Most places have Big Eye at $9.99 & Sculpin at $14.99.

24. opwog

opwog Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Look at it this way; Sculpin is more expensive in CA, where Sculpin (while still great) doesn't stand out that much further alongside the other 50 or so amazing CA IPA's bring brewed. So the theory that demand is the major reason why Sculpin is so expensive pretty much falls flat when you consider it is also more expensive when it is sitting on shelves in San Diego county alongside Alpine, Alesmith, Port Brewing, Kern River, Green Flash, Firestone STone, and on and on, not to mention that Societe is on tap all over SD county. So really, as much as Sculpin may end up standing out in demand in a market like this, it has always been more expensive in its home market where it doesn't have any unusual demand, as it just becomes one of many IPA's all of equal quality.

25. elliott1184

Beer Trader

Right; so the lesson here is that we have all done the market research, and have a much keener understanding of the demand for this product than do the people who brew and sell it, and this is why six month old unreasonably priced Sculpin is languishing on shelves throughout their distribution footprint.

Think we should tell them??

26. opwog

I think that they probably know. That is an issue for all of the IPA producers, that there is the past date stuff on the shelves. Talk about a real first world problem, but in SoCal, there is just more killer IPA around than can be consumed. In fact, Sculpin is around so much on tap that it was never a matter of me not having it whenever I wanted. I can say for certain, that I have never even bought it in bottles for myself, but only when I was trading out of state and that is when I had to poke around to make sure that I was grabbing fresh stuff.

27. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

Bought a sixer Sculpin and Victory at Sea and Sea Monster at the Zipp's. Will pop my cherry on Sculpin then go back for other labels. Gonna cellar the bombers til later this fall. Price points aside I am excited this brew is in MN and looking forward to Green Flash joining in October.

28. Catfish

Catfish Aug 7, 2013 Minnesota

Too lazy to do any research so I'll just ask...

Why does Sculpin cost 50% more than Big Eye?

Douggo likes this.
  29. morimech

morimech Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

For those of us that experience the last time Ballast Point was in Minnesota, this is a um, yea, experience. Never tried Sea Monster or Big Eye so I bought those two beers at Blue Max. I doubt I will be buying much Ballast Point in the future.

30. opwog

Only elliott1184 has the intellectual prowess to answer that question. The rest of us are obviously fools to question his on-line Associates Degree economics course's first chapter on supply/demand, to think that there is any other force in the universe that affects pricing ;)

Gamblor14 likes this.
  31. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

Sculpin is a Giffen good

32. elliott1184

Beer Trader

If there were standardized testing for sarcasm comprehension this site would be Mississippi.

33. grantcty

grantcty Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Umm, people like the taste (and the price)? I'd argue the same for many of Surly's beers, but I realize that all people don't share the same taste buds or preferences as I do, so I don't question nor give a shit if people like to blow 20 bucks on a bomber of an average Quad just because it's Surly. Let the attack begin...

lonewolfcry likes this.
  34. runfoodrun

I only ask because every thread about an IPA in this forum leads to the "Saga is better" thread jack. If people like it great, I don't. Start a "Saga is better" post and feed it endlessly, this one is about Ballast Point. And I think Big Eye is a great addition to the IPAs in the market. Haven't tried Sculpin yet.

Revenant, sacrelicio and denali55421 like this.
  35. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Why would you really care, or take the time (however minute) to do a search on how many times another BA has made posts about a certain beer?

This led me to wonder how many times I've commented on Abrasive.
    If anyone really cares, it's been 52 times in the last 9 months (look it up and correct me if I'm wrong). That was about twice as much as I thought it would be - I do get it, I love Abrasive.

Saga...Saga...Saga...Saga!
    Just kidding, you're right - lets get back to Ballast Point....

The only time I tried Sculpin, I was not impressed.
    However, it was an extra and I have no idea how fresh it was.

I was also not impressed with my first Victory at Sea - I just had a bottle that was 'good by Nov 2013'. The coffee tasted cheap, like old Folgers.
    I will admit that it got a little better towards the bottom of the bottle though.
    I have a fresher bottle that I'm going to open soon to see if it was just past it's prime or if it's just not a beer I'm going to like.

UnderbellyAles posted earlier this week that New Bohemia has their Ballast Point launch party this Wednesday, 9/11 @ 6:00 pm.
    I'm looking forward to trying Sculpin & Big Eye on tap.
    They'll also have Calico and Pale Ale - $5 tulip pours (I assume 10 oz?) with 5 oz flights of all 4 for $10.

Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  36. runfoodrun

Abrasive is ALWAYS worth talking about!!!

Mnmaverick and lonewolfcry like this.
  37. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I hope we get Dorado. I got it two yrs ago in my first ever shipment of beer with Pliny and other CA IPAs. I also had it on tap in SF at the celebrated City Beer store/bar. It is a big IIPA like Abrasive and I really liked it on tap. I'm more excited about Ballast Pt than I was for Stone. It's nice to have a gold standard West Coast IPA available in Sculpin. I got a 6er last night and my wife is already on her second one today!

Green Flash is on deck and I hope Firestone makes it here someday as well. I heard from two different people that we will get Alpine if/when they contract with Third Street. Any legs to that story?

38. SlightlyGrey

SlightlyGrey Apr 4, 2011 Minnesota

I had some Sculpin on tap earlier this year and it really didn't blow me away. Maybe due to the hype or the fact that I had been sucking down Jai Alai, Hopsecutioner, and various DFH varieties. On my beer run I picked up a sixer of Big Eye and bombers of Sea Monster and Victory at Sea. After trying the Big Eye, I'd get it every time over Sculpin, especially given the price difference (and yes, I do like Saga, and Furious, and Abrasive, and Masala Mama, and...OK, I'm an IPA whore, what can I say).

39. Catfish

Catfish Aug 7, 2013 Minnesota

Thanks for the help.

40. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Opinions are like assholes, but...I found Sculpin to be over rated and over priced. Got a pint at Grumpy's NE on Saturday myself, and felt it is just another very good IPA. Worth the price of pint, but (outside of locals) I don't think it is any better than plenty of other cheaper options out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe