Barley Forge Brewing Co. is closing

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bassofthec, Sep 17, 2019.

1. bassofthec

bassofthec Initiate (93) Aug 7, 2008 California

From Facebook...
    Sorry if Facebook is not a great link for news. However, did anyone here in Orange County see this coming? It seemed to me they were busy enough to maintain their business, but who knows what rent increase they faced?

More: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/...ng-co-will-close-after-5-years-in-costa-mesa/

2. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (547) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

First thing that came to my mind was the employees walking out a few months back.

This doesn't bode well for the other breweries in the area. BF was always packed and had distribution in Costco, Mother's et al.

3. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,245) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

This was announced in a buried thread earlier. But ya, I’m surprised. They were always packed, and my local Mother’s always had Grandpa Tractor stocked which I enjoyed. Meanwhile Gunwhale across the street, I’ve never seen them too crowded, but they just opened up a new location in Orange. Go figure.

LGHT likes this.
  4. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (254) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Definitely a s surprise, but there must be more factors than just rent. Otherwise, why not just re-locate than just shut down.

But its hard to believe it's also not related at all to the employees that walked out.

One things for sure, will miss the Patsy.

wolf13 likes this.
  5. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (908) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

I'd only been once or twice. Based on what I tried there, I would have had them on my brewery deadpool. The fact that it was always busy is a bit of a surprise to me but I've seen other places like that. Right mix of decent food, passable beer, and good atmosphere can carry a place a long ways.

I'd say I'll miss The Patsy, but I've had Death by Coconut. I'm good.

Best of luck to these folks.

Scottie_A25 and HopHead89 like this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (833) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

RIP Barley Fart....
    Here's my thoughts from the New OC Breweries Worth Visiting

7. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (210) May 1, 2010 California

I feel bad for Kevin, he's a good brewer.

8. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (154) Dec 1, 2011 California

I can't believe they're shutting down while Gunwhale is still open, some of their first cans literally had sand in them.

jamshard2mash likes this.
  9. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (128) Feb 25, 2013 California

Wow I had a friend head down to SD a few weeks ago, brought me back a mixed 6 pack of theirs. Apparently my first and last Barley Forges.

10. goons

goons Initiate (56) Mar 5, 2019 California

is there news of a new brewery thats buying them out? would be a perfect deal. ala Green Cheek.

LGHT and RaulMondesi like this.
  11. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (178) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Trader

Monkish is moving there.

R1c0rtez, LGHT, Akahoshi and 2 others like this.
  12. dcgunman

Trader

Henry?

Or maybe the boys at Modern Times May be interested in the Barley Fart location? They’d be open before the LeisureWorld location in Anaheim. :wink:

NicIsAwesome likes this.
  13. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (446) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Notorious for treating employees bad, and never really experimented beyond their initial launch beers to keep people coming back. Patsy was fun back in 2014, but I don't remember anything exciting beyond that.

Scottie_A25, Akahoshi and sirtomtom like this.
  14. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (557) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

maybe Three Chiefs can move in

15. dcgunman

Trader

16. goons

Let's just hope it's a brewery that can make good beer.

17. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (44) Dec 24, 2018 California

If Monkish moved there, they’d be a lot closer to me...and I still wouldn’t go.

wolf13 likes this.
  18. iebforever

iebforever Initiate (63) Jan 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Do you have that on good authority?

19. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (206) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

not happening

20. NicIsAwesome

NicIsAwesome Initiate (71) Jun 30, 2014 California
    Trader

I wonder if that was the location that electric brewing was considering before they landed on Temecula.
    Also, i like gun'z idea of MTs ditching anaheim and opening up in CM. Ive been optimistic of Ballast Points LB location crumbling and MTs taking over that spot but i doubt that ever happens. That place is still packed all the time. CM, LB... Who cares just ditch anaheim!

pinballplayer and LGHT like this.
  21. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Wow this is a total shocker!! I chalk it up to bad business management since I've been supporting them since the first week they opened and in all honesty the place is standing room only most weekends.. They had a nice vibe, great food, family friendly and although beers where not A++ they were good enough. You could find Patsy and a few other cans in most liquor stores throughout OC. Usually places that face a rent increase just move so it has to be more then just that.....

22. Scottie_A25

Scottie_A25 Initiate (199) Nov 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Not sad about this one. While I don't celebrate a brewery closing, I have no problems with Barley Forge going away. The beers were mediocre and never changed, the tap room was meh, and apparently the ownership was downright awful. Gunwhale, Barley Forge, and Bootlegger's are much better options in the area.

23. dcgunman

Trader

:thinking_face:

24. J-loco

J-loco Aspirant (206) Jan 23, 2015 California
    Trader

Scottie doesn't know

25. 310gts

310gts Initiate (53) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

that'll learn 'em. :stuck_out_tongue:

Black_Rider and Thenomad512 like this.
  26. Scottie_A25

Scottie_A25 Initiate (199) Nov 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Yeah, I'm a dumbass. Meant Salty Bear

Damn that Matt Damon.

RaulMondesi, J-loco and 310gts like this.
  27. RaulMondesi

Trader

Randomly saw six packs of Grandpa Tractor today at Mother’s Market in Santa Ana. I figured Barley Forge was going to slowly die, but here they are. I’ve bought this beer numerous times and enjoyed it right well. This one is ok, but has a slightly syrupy aftertaste. Oh well.

28. goons

Looks like they'll be opening soon. Saw the MT sign up. Anyone know if the pool is still happening?

29. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (547) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

I'm told the pool will be for wading only i.e 3ft deep all the way across.

30. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

that would seem like a good choice for a brewery pool

31. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (557) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I kind of liked the tasting room

RaulMondesi likes this.
  32. goons

All we weed. Excited to see how this is gonna play out. Just hoping for more women than dudes. Or at least a good ratio.

33. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (187) Feb 1, 2018 California

Yikes

34. moosington

moosington Initiate (155) Mar 29, 2009 California

And hopefully they can keep the water to urine ratio to at least 3-to-1.

BlazinHazen and Black_Rider like this.
  35. hikanteki

hikanteki Initiate (86) Oct 11, 2013 California

I checked it out earlier this year and it didn't quite get the hype. Their beers were good, but not great. To be honest I had better beers at the Bootlegger's tasting room across the street. However, BF did serve me a damn good burger.

36. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Well most spots only have "ok" beer, but it was one of the few places in the area to drink not too long ago. Then a few more options "popped up" and probably cut into their profit. Like most place that are only interested in the bottom line open when profits get too low they simply go away.

37. dcgunman

Trader

I’m not sure Bootleggers cut into Barley Farts biz. Maybe? Haven’t had anything Boot in the last 6-7 years. Gunz was my go to place instead of BF. I just got back from the area 30 minutes ago. Stopped in Windsor. I guess that’ll be my go to place in the area these days. Lots of good selections to go.

Scottie_A25 likes this.
  38. RaulMondesi

Trader

I have no info to back it up, but a friend just told me that Barley Forge was bought out and is going to stick around. I loved their Dortmunder, that is until I bought it last - which i assume is after the original brewer quit.

39. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Initiate (174) Jul 27, 2015 California

They posted a two-part update on Instagram saying they'll stay open through Dec. 4 and will keep brewing beer while the place is being shopped around to potential buyers.

40. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (446) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Getting rid of the current (bad) ownership seems like a win for everyone.

Scottie_A25 likes this.