Barleywine Tasting - Need your input

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PuckIt, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnredsoxfan69

mnredsoxfan69 Disciple (321) Dec 27, 2013 Minnesota

I don't understand how you could possibly say that. I didn't find it to be very hoppy at all.

Leave it in, dude.

luwak likes this.
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Meyvn (1,166) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I don't know how you do tastings in Massachusetts, but in Michigan you always wind up with more beers than what is necessary. It's usually @raymo55 fault, he turns every tasting into a shitshow, every tasting in the entire state.

So no, you do not need more than 7, but tastings are not about what you need.

3. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Definitely MOAS. I recently had BCBBW and KH side by side and I would recommend not having something else between them just to get a good comparison. I never had KH "fresh" and like BCBBW better.

4. detroiter

detroiter Initiate (69) Aug 4, 2009 Michigan

Get a BBBW from kuhnhenn. I'd put that up against any of the beers mentioned.

EdwardK77 likes this.
  5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Well it isn't IPA hoppy but....well, actually, it is IPA hoppy. Central Waters BBBW is 104 IBU's. It will stick out like a sore thumb in that lineup, particularly if you have it alongside something like Bourbon County Barleywine or any of the J.W. Lees variants. I would only include it in this tasting if you plan on having it last as a kind of hoppy pick-me-up, something to contrast all the sugar that was just consumed. Have it earlier and all subsequent beers will be much duller due to palate fatigue.

6. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Are you maybe thinking of CW Y2K (Cosmyk Charlie's)? Def hop foward like Bigfoot, but cellared by them for a year (not barrel-aged at all). Takes another year in our own cellar for the hops to mellow.

Years ago this CW BBBW was literally a barrel-aged version of Y2k, but I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they changed the base BW recipe around 2012. They use the new "base" bw in other one-off barrels (local restaurants often supply them with maple syrup or cocktail barrels) if I'm not mistaken.

CW BBBW might seem hoppier than other BA BW's because it has slightly less body and FG. BCBBW for instance, is a sweet bomb so the hops get overpowered completely.

Dupage25 likes this.
  7. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

I might call it a bourbon beer tasting :stuck_out_tongue: I would consider including bourbon-barrel aged beers in other strong ale styles. Scotch ales, IIPAs, Imperial reds, etc. Some specifics, and some that I didn't see mentioned-

Founder's Backwoods Bastard, Doom, and Bolt Cutter
    Ballast Point BBA Tongue Buckler
    Uinta Cockeyed Cooper
    Boulevard Rye-on-Rye
    Stone Bastard-in-the-Rye

8. sammyg832

sammyg832 Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Arizona

You need some Deschutes Mirror Mirror. That and Dry Dock's Blighs are my 2 faves

KevSal likes this.
  9. JDubbelStout

JDubbelStout Initiate (64) Mar 30, 2014 California
    Trader

North Coast Old Stock - get the cellar reserved if you want to keep it barrel-aged stuff.

RockAZ likes this.
  10. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Already mentioned, but one that should be easy to find and cheap is Uinta Cockeyed Cooper. Also BA Bigfoot if you can find it.

luwak likes this.
  11. MichaelinFishers

MichaelinFishers Initiate (166) Mar 10, 2009 Indiana

I'm surprised no one has suggested BA Bigfoot. I know it's a big huge whale these days, but since most of the others are barrel-aged, if you have one or can get one, it would make this tasting epic. And I second MOAS.

Aldogg007 likes this.
  12. WreckedPalate

WreckedPalate Initiate (163) Aug 14, 2013 Wisconsin

Central Waters is my favorite of those, hands down.

13. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (325) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

If you don't have sebago single batch bbbw in the mix you better get your head outta your ass! No , seriously though......it is the best one I've had, and I've had a bunch.

RWNay likes this.
  14. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,055) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Some others that are a bit harder to get but fantastic are

Alpine great
    COAST old nuptial
    Mirror mirror 09

And I'll have to second on the
    Blighs
    Moas

And I'll as straight jacket too

luwak likes this.
  15. hardy008

hardy008 Poo-Bah (2,106) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I agree with Arctic Devil. I don't think it would be too hard to trade for.

16. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

I was lucky enough to try this once, and it was amazing! I just haven' the slightest idea where to get another!

Thank you guys so much for all your input!

PrimeBeer likes this.
  17. bugsmasher

bugsmasher Initiate (66) Sep 20, 2012 Texas

Thomas Hardys

18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,768) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

19. jkrug5

jkrug5 Zealot (577) Dec 26, 2012 Maryland
    Trader

Already mentioned, but you can't go wrong with Insanity. Very underrated for an easy to find BW that ages like a champ.

20. mnredsoxfan69

mnredsoxfan69 Disciple (321) Dec 27, 2013 Minnesota

Never had Cosmik Charlie but CW BBBWA isn't hoppy. Yes, there's a little hop flavor in it, but my take was sweet without being cloying.

21. Immutable_Dusk

Immutable_Dusk Initiate (146) Dec 16, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Definitely Revolution Straightjacket, that one flew under the radar this year.

tobelerone and Hopgoddess312 like this.
  22. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

Yes absoluety though its hot and woody right now. I'd also grab a Stickee Monkee if you can i know its says "quad" but its basically an English barleywine.

MOAS is always a good choice.

Old Bluehair is also very solid and underrated.

Then of course there's bascially everything from Hair of The Dog, cause awesome barleywines are definitelty Alan 's domain. Adam and variants, Fred and variants, every year of Doggie Claws, Otto, Matt, etc, etc

Arctic Devil also. its probably America's best shelf beer.

Lastly, if you can trade for a Blighs, which I think is better than everything on your list, you wont be disappointed.

readyski likes this.
  23. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Well, there's no question it seems hoppier than BCBW. Beyond that though, I'm pretty sure CW used to list the IBUs on their website and for BBBW it was 104, that's what every source I look at today says. Obviously we aren't talking about a Bigfoot here but frankly I don't know how anyone couldn't pick out the hoppiness of CW BBBW in this lineup.

In March I had a January 2012 CW BBBW and I could still taste hop bitterness. The only way I would believe someone who told me they couldn't taste hops in a fresh bottle is if in the next breath they told me they've had nothing but DIPAs for the last two weeks.

robear likes this.
  24. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Initiate (153) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

Technically a BA-Barleywine tasting IS a Barleywine tasting.

25. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,768) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just cannot get on board with that way of classification. It's a barrel-aged beer tasting, and in this case the base beer is a barleywine.

26. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (338) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2011 (brandy barrel-aged)

27. Seanc1783

Seanc1783 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Florida

Kentucky bourbon barrel barley wine. Very good.

28. TrojanHopHead

TrojanHopHead Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 California

I just had a Stone 2005 StoneWall Ale. GREAT barleywine. I can't imagine finding a bottle would be anything short of a miracle at this point, though

29. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.