Barrel Aged Bigfoot in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by lokieman, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I am just happy I got 1! I wanted 3, but that wasn't going to happen. lol

2. tsatem

tsatem Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2010 Texas

I definitely thought I missed this, and I just stumbled on the last bottle at HEB Hancock for $15.99. That was lucky...

3. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

They must've just put that out... because it was not there two days ago. :slight_smile:

Sometimes they'll hold some beer back and put out one randomly. Super lucky!

4. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

What kind of trade ammo will it take to get a bottle of this?

5. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Apparently, they were holding back a case, which they put out today without fanfare. I hear it sold out quickly, but that there might be 1 more case hitting shelves somewhere in Austin soon (and no, I dont know where)

6. DanzBorin

My guess is $25+ of limited release beer if you are trying to get it in Texas.

7. kmello69

Beer Trader

I traded 2 Black Notes and 2 other 12oz stouts for it. I think we were both happy.

8. Clonies720

9. kmello69

Beer Trader

Anything's possible, but I see people asking for Cherry Rye for it, so you might need something a bit more limited/more highly rated. But again, you never know.

10. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I'd totally trade mine for a Cherry Rye, btw.

11. Clonies720

Jesus....Looking at my cellar makes me kind of sad. I really don't have any big trade ammo. I'll be getting some fresh Pliny and Tilquin+3 Fonteinen Gueuze in soon from California, but that's about all I'd have besides 512 WBADPP.

12. kmello69

Beer Trader

Me too, but I dont think those trades are getting done. Right now Cherry Rye is getting walez treatment. I'm negotiating for one now, and giving up a pretty big jewel to get it.

But the fact that people are even ASKING for that tells me how highly its being valued (even if that value is inflated). Give it time and I bet you can get one for a lot less.

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Disciple (300) Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

That 512 would get it done in a heartbeat.

Toss out JK limiteds (RU-55, El Cedro, Et al.) and you'll get this done easy (was a 6 bottle limit at SN and tons of states got it).

14. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Texas

So hypothetically, if someone in the Austin area were willing to part with one, what's the accepted going rate right now?

15. Clonies720

I'm saving that 512 for my graduation later this year. And now reading that other thread makes me hope it's not a gusher. I'll have something else on backup if that's the case.

16. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Crusader (730) May 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you're realistic about what the cost of trading is, $40 for 6 bombers/750s isn't terrible. But relative to buying them off the shelf, obviously a bit steep.

17. lokieman

lokieman Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

2 Bell's Black Note, 1 Arcadia BA Shipwreck Porter and 1 21st Amendment Marooned on Hog Island...at least that's what the trade I was involved in amounted to. It will have different value to different people...some might trade it for 2 Black Note straight up...adding the Arcadia and 21st Amendment are what it took to get it done in my situation.

18. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

When I ship thru who I ship thru a 6 pack styro with tracking runs $10-$15+$8 cost of goods. $40 is quite a bit but within reason and you get the confidence of a motivated seller to assure delivery.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  19. drummermattie02

Beer Trader

Agreed, there's also the one-stop shop/hassle-free benefit, which can be worth a lot.

20. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Texas

Where do you get the 6 pack styrofoam stuff from? I've received one in a trade before, but I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

21. DanzBorin

Uhaul has 1, 3, 6, and 12 bottle shippers. They will ship them to you.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  22. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Texas

Do they sell them at the Uhaul stores too?

23. DanzBorin

Rarely have them in stock

24. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Disciple (333) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have one I might let go of for the right trade

25. kmello69

Beer Trader

Click HERE. Spend more than $25, and the shipping to you is free. Usually takes only 2-3 days to arrive.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  26. Gunch52

Gunch52 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Total wine in Fort Worth had 2 when I just left.

27. H0rnedFr0gs

Beer Trader

U-Line has styro and boxes made for them. They are awesome

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  28. drummermattie02

Beer Trader

Also, if you know anyone in a wine club, chances are they have more than they know what to do with.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  29. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Aspirant (276) Jul 26, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I called them yesterday about 30 minutes after your post. The beer guy said he would hold one for me, as I was driving over from Dallas. Turns out he did not physically check to see if there were any left, and when I got there, they were apologetic and offered me a discount on BA Rasputin. They are gonna try and locate some at another location, keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you for the info.

30. Houston_E89

Houston_E89 Aspirant (263) Sep 10, 2012 Texas

Spec's on Smith sells Styrofoam Shippers w/ a box as well, $2.xx got me a 6 bottle one. Wrap some Bubble Wrap around the bottles and fill any and all empty space w/ Styrofoam Popcorn, good to go.

On the subject of trade Ammo, Think an Abyss or a Hellfighter will get me another one? - Maybe a couple of BCBS?

31. DanzBorin

I think it'd take a 4 pack of BCBS. Right now. Maybe 3 after the initial rush dies down.

BBA Hellfighter and a BCBS would probably get it done if you found the right trader.

32. Gunch52

Gunch52 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have an extra BA Bigfoot for trade if anyone is interested.

33. mattisloco

mattisloco Devotee (413) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Very interested. I'll bm you.

JJFoodie likes this.
  34. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (191) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

#pickitupformebro?

35. djd07

djd07 Aspirant (201) Oct 3, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Finally got to try this and was really disappointed.

36. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (472) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Would you care to expand on why you where disappointed?

37. djd07

Beer Trader

It wasnt very good. I guess I cant taste the .rar in it

38. djd07

Beer Trader

Flavor dominated by bourbon and booze. Not much flavor from the base beer.

icetrauma likes this.
  39. DanzBorin

You must not have read all the talk about it being too hot and needing to age. I only found 1 and stuck it in the cellar for long term storage.

djd07 likes this.
  40. mattisloco

mattisloco Devotee (413) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I like hot beer and this one is HOT. I enjoyed it a lot for what it is but I think in 3 to 5 years it will be something beautiful.

JJFoodie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.