Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break Variants

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Sep 22, 2017.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (754) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Evil Twin & Westbrook Joining Forces For Two Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break Variants
    [​IMG]
    A collaboration between Evil Twin Brewing and Westbrook Brewing Co. will now have a couple of barrel-aged variants.

The beers are Maple Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break, a 10.5 percent ABV imperial stout brewed with almonds, cocoa nibs, coffee, cinnamon, habanero peppers and vanilla beans before being aged in maple bourbon barrels and Double Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break, a 10.5 percent ABV imperial stout brewed with almonds, cocoa nibs, coffee, cinnamon, habanero peppers and vanilla beans before being aged in both maple bourbon barrels and Marsala wine barrels.
    [​IMG]
    As with the original version named Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break (10.5 percent ABV) that was released last year, the two new incarnations are a combined recipe of one of each individual brewery’s more popular releases: Evil Twin’s Imperial Biscotti Break, an 11.5 percent ABV imperial stout brewed with almonds, coffee and vanilla that was first released in 2012, and Westbrook’s Mexican Cake, a 10.5 percent ABV imperial stout brewed with almonds, cocoa nibs, coffee, cinnamon sticks, fresh habanero peppers and vanilla beans that was first released in 2012.

According to labels filed with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), both Maple Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break and Double Barrel Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break will be packaged in 22-ounce bottles. An email sent to the breweries for additional information was not immediately returned.

http://tenemu.com/news/westbrook-sl...ican-biscotti-cake-break-for-november/11/2016

2. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,101) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

interesting, Marsala huh? That's a first at least as far as I know. Sounds like it has hot mess potential all over it. Marsala and maple.

I'll probably buy it anyway if I see it around. Somebody stop me...

AustinWadkins, LA_Hue24 and Sabtos like this.
  3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,403) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Where are all these Evil Twin collab. barrels resting?! Seems like Evil Twin has been doing a lot of barrel aging, but they are still gypsy, no?

4. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (724) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

WAYYY too much going on there.

THANAT0PSIS and MikeP64 like this.
  5. damasta414

damasta414 Initiate (122) Mar 7, 2017 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Anybody else get dizzy just looking at the label?

sharpski and LA_Hue24 like this.
  6. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (754) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Premeditated

7. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (209) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Damn is there any beer in that bottle???

bbtkd, eldoctorador and raynmoon like this.
  8. MissFeisty

MissFeisty Initiate (147) Dec 18, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Is this climax of the pastry stout movement?

9. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (285) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Another couple beers I'd like to try but will likely skip due to the high probability of a $30 price point or worse.

10. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Zealot (545) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I realize it's a semantics argument, but I wouldn't consider this a pastry stout. I would consider it a hot mess though. I thought the non-BA version was just a crappy, overly-roasty version of regular Cake, and while the Maple Bourbon barrels may help it along, the Marsala treatment sounds disgusting.

11. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,403) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Yeah! We leavve that shit to Florida! No one can top those bath salts sniffing mother fuckers!

12. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Westbrook built another big ass building right next to the brewery, just for barrels.

Sabtos likes this.
  13. MikeP64

Saw this over the weekend for 15.00...still skipped it.

14. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (353) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

This would be perfect for our upcoming WTF bottle share.

15. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (258) Jun 25, 2016 New York

You mean the non BA version?

16. Moradin

Moradin Initiate (174) Jul 7, 2016 New York

just when I thought the fried chicken beer was way to much....
    I appreciate long names in beers, I do not appreciate 3 pages of ingredients, it makes me wonder on the quality of the beer to begin with.
    Sorry Jeppe, I'll stick to EMJ

17. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,609) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it was in the $14.25 range here in PDX I think. I know this is going to sound weird, but given the low price point (especially for a BA Evil Twin beer), I questioned just how good it could be. If it was around $20, I might have been more tempted to buy a bottle, but at $14.25, it was just hard for me to believe it could be any good.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  18. DISKORD

He's talking about regular, non-barrel-aged version. Which was released months ago.

[​IMG]

SteveD082791 likes this.
  19. Hopsonhops

Hopsonhops Initiate (115) Sep 13, 2017 New York

These have not been released yet but cant wait to savor them

20. John_M

Beer Trader

Are you sure? Beermongers had just gotten both beers in (I remember the maple in particular), and I'd swear that both of the beers were BA. It was part of the reason I was so surprised by the price.

The regular, nonbarrel aged version hit town here several months ago (as you indicated). It was OK, though I didn't fall in love with it.

21. DISKORD

I'm sure! Won't get distributed until October and/or November. Besides, there's no way it would be the same price as the regular version.

Here's the correct page: http://tenemu.com/news/evil-twin-we...-mexican-biscotti-cake-break-variants/09/2017

#21 DISKORD, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  22. MikeP64

Yep...at my local Bottles. They had CASES of it...

23. DISKORD

You were right, they do have them! For that price you should grab at least two of each.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. John_M

Beer Trader

Have you tried them yet? The BA beers I've had from Eviltwin have been up and down for me, with nearly as many misses as hits. Also ,the regular version of this beer didn't really wow me (though it was good), which is part of the reason I'm a bit apprehensive about pulling the trigger this time (despite what sounds like a more than fair price).

FFFjunkie likes this.
  25. NewmansOwn

What were misses for you? I've enjoyed most of their BA beers, except for the pricepoint.

SteveD082791 and DISKORD like this.
  26. DISKORD

No, I have not. I can't think of a single Evil Twin barrel-aged beer that was a miss for me.

27. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (329) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I've never been to Westbrook but it appears they are happy doing their thing in the SE, and brewing a significant portion of the ET operation at their facility (all/ most of the bottle if I'm not mistaken, and the cans are from Two Roads in CT).

28. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (103) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

would be interested in these BA ones

29. DISKORD

It used to be simple. All 22 oz bottles were made at Westbrook, 4-pack bottles made at Two Roads, 11.2 fl oz made in Europe. Now you have 16 oz/4-pack cans made at Two Roads. Their latest collaboration (You're In The Jungle Baby!) with Jackie O's made by Dorchester Brewing. Liquid Double Fudge, which came in 22 oz bottles, was brewed by Two Roads. Even though it says "brewed by Evil Twin, Stratford, CT". With so many new Evil Twin beers coming out every month, it's hard to keep track.

#29 DISKORD, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  30. John_M

Beer Trader

Liquid Double fudge was so-so, and some of the "even more jesus" variants (whether in English or French) have been a bit underwhelming. Also, I enjoyed the Natale, but wasn't in love with it. Shrug. Like you said, the price point tends to be a bit high, so I tend to hold them to a pretty high standard.

31. DISKORD

Liquid Double Fudge isn't barrel-aged. And it's Spanish, not French.

32. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (60) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Sounds to me like they are just banking on the success of the words "Mexican Cake" and the hype surrounding that beer and its variants and that really is all there is to it. Hope I'm wrong though and it is available at a reasonable price point. If it's the same $30+ like the maple bourbon biscotti its an easy pass for me.

Sabtos likes this.
  33. NewmansOwn

Where were you seeing bottles for $30+. Even In NYC they werent more than $30. Most places around $25...

DISKORD likes this.
  34. Wah_junkrat_wah

Wah_junkrat_wah Initiate (105) Jul 26, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

The label would look awesome in my scrapbook! I'll try to pick one up solely for that reason, but the Marsala is a little off-putting.

35. DISKORD

And Liquid Double Fudge was $7-8 for 22 oz.

36. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (33) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

And regular Even More Jesus (also, Imperial Biscotti Break) is an even better value. $14 for 64oz (4-pack of 16 oz cans).

waltari likes this.
  37. John_M

Beer Trader

Dude. Relax. This isn't a one up-man-ship contest. I tried to respond to Newmansown request for information by simply going through the list of beers I've tried on the BA data page for EvilTwin. Some of those beers I haven't tried in some time, and I couldn't recall if they were BA or not.

38. DISKORD

I was just pointing things and had questions when I saw your comments. No need to get upset. I personally haven't had any "misses" from Evil Twin, when it comes to his BA high ABV Stouts/Porters. However, I do agree with you regarding his other, non-barrel aged Stouts/Porters.

#38 DISKORD, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  39. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (33) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Cognac Jesus was an infected tire fire. Otherwise, I've enjoyed Evil Twin's BA beers (even if they're a tad on the pricey side). Also agree that non-BA variants in bottles are not worth it based on price. I actually liked Even More Coco Jesus and didn't mind that the coconut was more subtle than other coconut stouts. Also, pricing was only a bit higher than the base beer (which, in cans, is an amazing deal). Looking forward to more canned variants.

DISKORD likes this.
  40. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (410) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Just had a 2016 Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break that was kept in my 50 degree wine-fridge the whole time. Both myself and the other taster perceived that the adjuncts had all-but disappeared. And no discernable heat either. This is definitely not a bottle I would hold onto for a long time.

NCGreg likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.