Barrel Aged Lagers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just sampled Avery’s Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest. I really enjoyed it but thought that it might be even better if it were barrel-aged.

At that point it occurred to me that I’ve never had a barrel-aged lager.

So… my next question is: can lagers be successfully barrel-aged or is that a process exclusive to ales?

2. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

I'm not a brewer so I can't definitively answer the question , but lagers tend to be more mild and subtle then stouts& imperial IPA, s. That plus their lower abv probably make them less likely to stand up to the flavors of the barrel and to the aging process itself. I could see a very strong lager like a dopplebock working though.

3. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Kaiser is 9.5% - not your typical lager

josmickam likes this.
  4. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Aspirant (291) Apr 26, 2014 Michigan

Just had a bourbon barrel dark Lager by wolverine state brewing in Michigan. While not the best barrel aged beer I've ever tried it was still very good. This is the only example I have seen thus far. Btw, it was called massacre and was 11.5 abv according to the bottle.

smithj2154 and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  5. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Well it's perfectly normaly to brew porters (i.e. stouts) using lager strains, and there are plenty of barrel aged stouts/porters... so... why not?

That being said, never had one :slight_smile:
    (although it's given me an idea for a future homebrew recipe, thanks!)

6. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Barrel aged dopplebocks exist and are good.

jackjacobsen likes this.
  7. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Oh man... I need to get one now...

Or a barrel-aged Eisbock :astonished:

8. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (363) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Faust (aka Miltenberger) makes a whiskey barrel aged Eisbock that is very good, and if memory serves has won back-to-back gold medals at the World Beer Cup for the Dopplebock/Eisbock category.

Perhaps @-N8 will chime in when he sees this.

machalel and -N8 like this.
  9. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (153) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

Glacier Brewhouse up here in Alaska does plenty of barrel aged lagers. They do a barrel aged black rye bock that is awesome, plus a barrel aged eisbock that is the bee's knees. OP should come visit Alaska

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  10. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (622) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Odell's Woodcut #4 was oak aged double Marzen @11%. Urbermarzen! It was good, though wonder how much better it may have been if I drank it sooner.

11. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,856) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

12. compton

compton Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Georgia

Many barrel aged brett beers start their lives as lagers, and don't forget the New Belgium sours - they're lagers originally.

Domingo, DavidHume and jRocco2021 like this.
  13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (311) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Lager is such a dirty word to some on this site. Maybe it's cuz I'm from WI, but I believe a well made lager is a thing to behold. Not enough is being done with Lagers IMO.

rozzom, compton, dedbeer and 6 others like this.
  14. Lurchus

Lurchus Initiate (199) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

I think a few years ago when craft beer started to become popular in germany, a lot of new releases simply were barrel aged doppelbocks, didn't like tem though.mainly because it was like"here is our regular bock,in a 0.5l bottle.80cents please. here is our new bock,which is the same thing in barrel aged form, in a fancy 0.75l bottle. 17euros,please."

Chaz, mmmbirra, Gutes_Bier and 2 others like this.
  15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,767) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Why does this not surprise me? :grimacing:

16. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,046) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

17. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (626) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

La Petit Mort from Central Waters Brewing is a bourbon barrel aged Weizenbock and it's spectacular.

Schell's is currently aging an American Lager in Cypress tanks with Lacto and 2 different Brett strains that will eventually be dry-hopped before being bottled. They describe it as a "dry hopped Berlin style lager" and it will be sour. Sounds very awesome and unique for a lager. I love what Schell's is doing with the Noble Star series.

MaximumYuks and jonandhisflask like this.
  18. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,007) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger

19. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,213) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I believe only the S'mores variant of Smoke & Dagger was barrel aged...?

OP - Jack's Abby really is doing a lot of barrel treatments of their lagers recently. They seem to brew a base beer or flagship, then reserve some of it for barrel experimentation. As said, the Framinghammer Baltic Porter does get about 5 different barrel variants. But they also barrel age their doppelbock, their "lager wine", and even some of their lower-ABV stuff like their summer wheat lager, and their "berliner-style lager" on various fruits and bugs. Some of these are brewery-only which makes visiting them fun.

mconn13, F2brewers and Fox82791 like this.
  20. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (809) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Harviestoun have one called Orach Slie. It's not very good imo

Chaz likes this.
  21. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,127) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

Barrel "aged" lagers are definitely delicious.

[​IMG]

22. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,090) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

I think Weizenbocks are fermented with a weizen yeast, which would technically make them ales, right?

23. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,856) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

You know, I was going to post that exact beer. It's really quite good. But apparently Weizenbocks are not lagers. My whole life is a lie!

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Weizenbock.html

Dope

BottleCaps80 and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  24. Bieradvocate

Bieradvocate Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 California

had Karl Strauss's bourbon barrel aged doppelbock last year. It tasted more like bourbon than anything else

25. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,007) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Got one in a trade and it was barrel aged.

26. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (626) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Learn something new about beer every day. Thanks!

jRocco2021 likes this.
  27. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

A fair chunk of Baltic porters are bottom-fermented, so if that's your criteria for "lager" then yes.

In American parlance, they are "ales" due to the presence of top-fermenting yeast. If at any point in the process they go through lagering, they would be considered lagerbier in Germany, regardless of the yeast used.

PapaGoose03 and OneDropSoup like this.
  28. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (223) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

Ever been to Germany or the Czech Republic? :wink:

Lurchus and herrburgess like this.
  29. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,360) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Thank you for clearing that up for me guys. Just had NG Imperial Weizen the other night, saw that it was listed as a doppelbock and went "I can't believe this is a lager!" But apparently it's not.

Dupage25 likes this.
  30. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery in Charlotte, NC has thrown many of their lagers into bourbon barrels, and not just the higher gravity ones. Off the top of my head, they've done this with their Märzen, Früh Bock, Dunkel, Yule Bock (a doppelbock) and Anniversary Alt (Sticke Alt).

Of the ones I've had, the bourbon has actually been fairly subtle -- though I imagine it would be very easy to go overboard with some of these lagers as opposed to porters and stouts. I've really enjoyed them.

They also do a really great Baltic porter, and next year they will release bottles of a bourbon barrel-aged version of that for the first time.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  31. jRocco2021

Trader

I have not I was speaking of america specifically. However I will be visiting some family friends in Germany once I have enough money saved so that will soon be changin.

mmmbirra likes this.
  32. Will_Edgar

Will_Edgar Aspirant (204) Oct 23, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Barrel-Aged PBR from Japan...:sunglasses:

brewmastercat likes this.
  33. jRocco2021

Trader

Iso

brewmastercat likes this.
  34. richobrien

richobrien Devotee (470) Dec 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Second this! They are pumping put some pretty amazing BA Lagers and their non-BA product is great too.

35. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (969) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Wolverine Brewing in Ann Arbor, MI only brews lagers, and they do some great stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but some friends of mine who tried the Massacre BA Dark Lager said that it was on par with some of the thinner BA stouts or porters out there.

36. MSmooth

MSmooth Initiate (110) Sep 28, 2006 Colorado

This is true.

37. TrojanHopHead

TrojanHopHead Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 California

38. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,669) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

No, it makes them top-fermented which doesn't immediately equate to ale. Ask a Weizen brewer if he brews an Ale and I'm sure he'll look at you sideways.

But you're right, they aren't Lagers either.

OneDropSoup likes this.
  39. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.